PDA

View Full Version : Interest for PBM campaign ?

Dutch_guy
09-29-2005, 17:06
I know this isn't the correct forum to discuss PMBs ,but since this is where the thread can get far more MTW player's attention , I'll take my chances in the Main Hall. ~:)

So anyway, would there be any Interest in a PBM campaign, for an Unmodded MTW VI ?
If there is , we could discuss the options ( every players campaign time etc. etc. ) and the such in this thread.

You don't need to be a great player to play, some skill of the game however is required.

I for one would love to try this.

:balloon2:

bretwalda
09-29-2005, 17:48
Sounds cool, expand on the idea please. Would we play against each other or it would be rather a succession game? I am up for it as long as it is tolerable if i can't play for like 1 or 2 days sometimes.

yesdachi
09-29-2005, 18:10
If you wanted to drop down to vanilla (i dont have VI) I would be willing to give it a shot. Dont drop down just for me thou. :bow:

Each player gets a kings lifetime?

Dutch_guy
09-29-2005, 18:13
well , it would be more of a succession game, playing against each other without any form of mod is nigh impossible ~:)

As for the time each player plays ;
1 player would do .. say the first 10 years, or play till the king dies, reaches an x number of territories etc. etc. , the first 2 are imo the better options.
But if anyone has better ideas , then feel free to post them.

and if you think you don't have the time to commit yourself to say 10 years, the n 5 is good too, also , players can join a PBM any time they want. And the same goes for if you like the stop playing.

@ Yesdachi;

well if we decide to do the player sessions according to the Kings life, then yes. If player sessions depend on say ten years, then multiple players would hopefully ;) play with the same king.

dgfred
09-29-2005, 18:22
If you wanted to drop down to vanilla (i dont have VI) I would be willing to give it a shot. Dont drop down just for me thou. :bow:

Each player gets a kings lifetime?

I too only have vanilla :embarassed: , but would love to play if that is the
route all decide on.

I think 10 to 15 years would be better than the king's lifetime, one could
live for many, many years if he is lucky.

Dutch_guy
09-29-2005, 18:48
to bad you guys have vanilla, it makes organising this a lot harder.

But we'll figure it out.

Anyway, you should really get VI though, makes the game even more fun :bow:

yesdachi
09-30-2005, 19:02
I think 10 to 15 years would be better than the king's lifetime, one could live for many, many years if he is lucky.
Or very few if he is not ~;)

I only mentioned it because i read that that is how some of the guys over at the dot com did it that way and they recorded a log/diary following the events as if they were the king. Added a nice little piece of role-playing, but I wouldn’t mind 10 or 15 year increments either. :bow:

Dutch_guy
09-30-2005, 19:16
Also , I forgot to mention that every player writes about his reign, the important things that happened and so forth ( so take lot's of screenies !)

This adds to the fun, and encourages other players to join too :bow:

CountMRVHS
09-30-2005, 21:06
Well....

there IS a way to play campaign against each other, technically. I'm doing one right now over at the com.

We use the -ian code: the one that allows you to switch between factions during the game. The first guy starts the game and chooses his faction (the Picts in this case), plays them for 5 turns and on the 6th turn switches to the next guy's faction (the Welsh) and emails him the game. Then the Welsh guy plays his 5 turns, switches to my faction (the Irish), and we keep going like that.

Quite a lot of fun! We actually started out with one of us being the Vikings but found that really took the balance out of the game.... and as it is the AI Vikings are causing us some headaches anyway.

But yeah, I might possibly have the time to do a VI campaign however you wanna do it. If you're going to do it cooperatively (i.e. we all play the same faction), I'd prefer to do an entire king's life, just for continuity. But that's not for everybody.

Anyway, just a thought. ~:cheers:

CountMRVHS

Dutch_guy
09-30-2005, 22:11
Yeah I actually thought of the switch -ian code... but before I read your posts I thought the -ian command didn't work anymore, was disabled or something like that - don't know where I got that idea from though...

And it would be great if you'd like to play CountMRVHS, though for the fun of it , I would say we need some more players.

And we can then decide the time of everyones reign, King sounds good, but we could also try something else, a kings life sounds a little to lonbg for me though

EatYerGreens
09-30-2005, 23:05
I think I read this in the Readme.htm file on the VI disk itself:- the -ian switch unlocked numerous features, one of which was unlocking the 'restrict camera' feature on the battlefield. It was felt this gave too much advantage to the player, so it was disabled (it said) but all other features still work.

At least I think that's where I read it. I should go and check again.

Dutch_guy
10-01-2005, 22:26
For those who are interested , here is a link to the Throne room.

For some more info on the art of PBm ing

:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=14&f=38