PDA

View Full Version : Scanty naval news

Doug-Thompson
10-01-2005, 07:34
Several people have asked about any naval improvements in BI. I don't have much news and none of it's good, but here goes:

There's nothing in the manual or readme file about any changes to the naval game. I started a campaign game as the Eastern Empire to look at the naval units. All the units I can build or could build after all dock upgrades were the same bi-, tri- or quin- remes avaliable in R:TW. They appear to have the same stats, and I see no mention of "Greek fire" or any other innovations. If anything, they appear more expensive to make, but I'll double-check that in the morning.

I started a R:TW campaingn (could not reload an old one) and attacked a Carthaginian fleet with a couple of biremes. No noticible difference, but the example is obviously very limited.

Kraxis
10-01-2005, 16:01
I have to agree... The naval situation doesn't seem to be changed that much.

I have been at war with the WRE many times, and every time I mostly clash with them at sea. Normally I win because I have larger combined fleets (important if you want to beat the strong pirates). But I have yet to see the scattered single ships of RTW, normally they send 3-4 ships at me, so perhaps that has been fixed.

Doug-Thompson
10-01-2005, 21:47
What I'd really like to know is, can you merge fleets witout the conflicts between admirals of R:TW? Haven't found that out yet.

aw89
10-01-2005, 23:24
Do the ships sink more often now?

Kraxis
10-02-2005, 03:11
Do the ships sink more often now?
Hmmm... I think so. In my little skirmishes with the WRE they have lost many ships, and the pirates always sink when they lose.

Alexander the Pretty Good
10-02-2005, 03:49
As the Saxons, I've had trouble with the few rebel fleets kicking between Britain and Saxony. They had "Large Boats" while I had just "Boats" - led by a captain with two stars and an ancillary. :dizzy2: And they beat me down, right after I manage to land an army in Scotland. So I'm going to have to scramble to reinforce them.

The few sea battles I had generally led to sinkage of ships, but not always.

Doug-Thompson
10-02-2005, 07:40
Turns out that the ERE has a Quintreme with a corvus. Don't know if the WRE has the same, but that ship's a sea monster. The few pirates I've attacked so far were wiped. The best use of the navy so far, though, is moving units around.

Speaking of transportation, bigger provinces make roads an even more worthwhile investment.

SpencerH
10-02-2005, 15:14
Any news about ping-pong and retreating ships moving through your ZOC?