PDA

View Full Version : memory leak?

Sam Adams
10-02-2005, 00:08
after about 3 hours of playing, game got really slow.

after quitting, there was still a RTW process taking up some 200k memory that I had to control alt delete.

hhmmmm?

TB666
10-02-2005, 00:10
Well I haven't exprienced it so far but it would be awful if it was true.
But lucky that can be fixed with a patch.

Garvanko
10-02-2005, 18:17
Happens to me all the time. Can only play BI for two hours max, before I have to reboot.

magnum
10-02-2005, 18:45
Not sure it's a memory leak or what. Generally before it CTD I get a large amount of disk thrashing going on. I've defragged my hard drive but it hasn't seem to make a lot of difference. I figure its my comps way of asking for a break. ~D

Sam Adams
10-02-2005, 22:32
the bottom line is that this didnt happen in RTW but it does now with BI, and since a few of you are noticing this its definetly not just an isolated problem.

why cant a game come out that works from the get go? Isnt that what betas are for?

The_Doctor
10-03-2005, 10:24
I have that problem too.

Yukon Cornelius
10-03-2005, 10:51
But why run more beta tests when you can release the game immediately and get started on the next one? There's only money in testing if the bugs in the release don't significantly affect future sales.

Clearly my glass is half full. ~:rolleyes:

Viking
10-03-2005, 22:00
Sometimes it takes ages for BI to quit. The computer works heavily afterwards, but it stops after some time. Might be a lighter version of this problem.

Pode
10-03-2005, 22:35
I was able to run all day long yesterday, but by the end of the day my poor hard drive was suffering terribly. It took nearly 15 minutes after I quit the game for it to catch up and quit thrashing the drives. However, I was able to run stably for 12 hours or so. What I suspect made the difference is that, per MS recommendations, I set my virtual memory file to a physical drive other than C:, and set it to the maximum allowed 4 Gb. I experienced the memory leak, it just took a lot longer to eat up my available memory. Also, using multiple physical drives meant that VM access and file access could operate at the same time, meaning it took longer for me to notice the slowdown.

Puzz3D
10-03-2005, 23:21
I notice the computer slowdown as well after the game has been running for several hours. I have 512 MB RAM running WinXP professional. RomeTW.exe uses 231 MB RAM when it's first started. That leaves me about 90 MB RAM free with MSN, a browser and a few utility programs running.

Uriel
10-04-2005, 08:29
Looks like the old 512mb not enough for newer games chessnut. Several people mention hd swapping. The extra eye candy will put a strain on the existing ram. In vanilla 1.2 R:TW I get well over 512mb total usage with just antivirus and firewall in the background.

Is anyone with 1GB or over experiencing this?

CBR
10-04-2005, 12:33
I have 1 GB and experiencing slowdown after several hours too. My hdd is running like cracy and after I quit rome it continued for a couple of minutes. Hitting ctrl alt del I noticed that Rome BI exe was still running and at that moment was using 600+ mb memory. I let it run and saw how it went down and shortly after finally disappeared.

CBR

Veresov
10-04-2005, 23:16
Looks like the old 512mb not enough for newer games chessnut. Several people mention hd swapping. The extra eye candy will put a strain on the existing ram. In vanilla 1.2 R:TW I get well over 512mb total usage with just antivirus and firewall in the background.

Is anyone with 1GB or over experiencing this?

I have 2 GB and the same problem as you guys.

red comyn
10-05-2005, 00:22
What is memory leak?:book:

player1
10-05-2005, 00:27
When program allocates some space is memory, it is used for awhile and when is stopes being used it is deallocated (freed) so that other programs can use this.

Memory leaks happem due to bug in program, which forgets to deallocate some of that space when it stops being used.

This leads to slowdown of the program after some time of it use, since there is more and more in time, allocated space not used for anything.

red comyn
10-05-2005, 00:36
yeah as my pc isnt the quickest it suffering badly from this, even if a close everything else so nothing is running in the background. Is it easily fixed? can we expect a patch?

See BI its not just a game to me its also been a beginners PC course too :charge:

Puzz3D
10-05-2005, 04:10
On my 512 MB RAM system, RomeTW.exe (v1.3) uses about 250 MB RAM when first started I have about 100 MB free. After I played for 3 hours, RomeTW.exe was using 340 MB RAM and I only had 10 MB free. The game speed was still ok because I still had some physical memory free.

parcelt
10-05-2005, 09:40
same here. I was at first pleasantly surprised when loadtimes seemed significantly shorter in BI than in RTW. But after a couple of hours it slows down dramatically (512MB).

Seems that its an issue for lots of people. Can we put this somewhere so its sure to draw the attention of CA and can get fixed in a patch?

Garvanko
10-05-2005, 11:11
It's probably not escaped their attention..

The_Doctor
10-05-2005, 13:37
How on Earth could they miss this problem?

Daveybaby
10-05-2005, 14:07
How on Earth could they miss this problem?
Because game developement for PC is incredibly complex and difficult, especially when no two machines have the same configuration, plus you still have publishers deadlines to meet. Things get missed. Welcome to the real world.

Zatoichi
10-05-2005, 14:27
I've had BI running for upwards of 6 hours per session and not noticed any slowdowns so far. Running on an Athlon 2800 with 1 Gb RAM and an ATI 9800 Pro with 25Gb spare HD capacity. I've not upped any default windows memory swap/virtual memory settings since buying this PC 2 years ago.

Could it be linked to the number of battles per session or something - I've not been too battle intensive during most of my prolonged sessions? Or maybe I'm just lucky if this is happening to loads of other folk...

Puzz3D
10-05-2005, 16:01
Could it be linked to the number of battles per session or something - I've not been too battle intensive during most of my prolonged sessions? Or maybe I'm just lucky if this is happening to loads of other folk...
I think it is linked to battles. In my 3 hour playing session, I fought 5 battles. The memory usage of RomeTW.exe went from 250 MB to 340 MB, and it wasn't giving back any of that 340 MB.