PDA

View Full Version : BI and Command stars: New findings

player1
10-18-2005, 16:08
I think there is another reason why there are less comand stars in BI.
Most of the triggers that deal with giving stars have as requirement a field battle (I_ConflictType Normal).

There is also a trigger for settlements with stone and better walls (which by the way is bugged and works only for manual battles).

But, in cases such as sally or when attacking cities without stone walls, there are none of additinal triggers.

Only the standard 25% for GoodCommander if BattleOdds less then 1.2:1, which is triggered for all battles (including field ones that have many other triggers too).

So does that mean that sally and non-stone wall assault/defense and easier then field battles?
I guess not, it more seems to me to be an oversights then anything else.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Sleepy
10-18-2005, 20:14
For higher command levels the threshold has been raised:

Good Commander 4 (Great Commander) has gone from 8 to 23

Likewise Good Commander 5 (Legendary Commander) has gone from 16 to 30

Hence whilst hard to get to Superior Commander (Level 3) its virtually impossible to get higher. Romans especially with the Disloyal trait tied to battle events [such as HP loss, number of generals kills, winning a battle, capturing a settlement, capturing a wonder and destroying a faction] will never get a Great or Legendary Commander unless they are the faction leader(?). I've allready greatly reduced the chance a character has of getting a point or 2 in Disloyal in all the triggers.

I've also changed the battle odds for various triggers from their low BI values back to the original RTW ones.

Kraxis
10-18-2005, 20:19
Actually I managed to work a 2 star Burgundian youngling up to 10 stars by the time he was 50. And I didn't even try. I must admit that I did use him rather much but that was just because he was my best commander.

But the threshold is odd. From 4 to 5 it has actually lowered with 1...

magnum
10-18-2005, 23:29
I see what you're saying Player1. Not sure why CA did that. I would guess that they intended to have all the different types of combat covered by one trigger or another. The two types that seem left out are sallies, sieges vs wooden walls, and ambushes. Its possible that they figure that ambushes are covered by other triggers that affect ambush ability and so saw no reason to also give command stars. Also possible it was a simple oversight. There's lots of neat triggers and nice relationships between some of them, but I think CA might have tried getting a little fancy for the amount of time that they put into them. I've seen lots of triggers that while technically working, I can't quite understand why they have them working they way they do.

screwtype
10-19-2005, 03:16
Player1, is it possible to mod command stars right out of the game? Because they do give the human player a huge advantage.

player1
10-19-2005, 10:02
Sure, just remove command star effects from all traits and ancillaries.
And then remove from triggers gaining of command related traits (since they would do nothing).

Patricius
10-21-2005, 00:58
I have been playing as ERE Empire and found it easy to gain stars simply because the Western Empire kepting sending not particularly strong armies with first cohorts. I have two generals with the 'Eagle Collector' traits and others with two eagles taken. Without that situation gaining stars is hard.

Yukon Cornelius
10-27-2005, 05:40
As an alternative to outright removing command stars, you could simply add a command penalty vs all cultures alongside the Command effects. The result would be the same, but you'd get the warm fuzzy feeling associated with seeing 8 or 9 stars alongside your general on the strat map.