PDA

View Full Version : Crash to desktop

The Storyteller
10-20-2005, 11:55
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem.

I'm playing as the WRE. I have an army on a bridge that I know the Gothic horde wishes to cross. I hit "end turn", the computer attacks, and halfway through the battle I get a crash to desktop.

It always happens halfway through the same battle. I've tried using the "repair" function under "uninstall Barbarian Invasion", but to no avail. I've also restarted my computer and the same error occurs. I simply cannot play past that battle and I don't know why.

Any suggestions?

Prodigal
10-20-2005, 11:59
How big is the battle? Have you tried lowering the graphic settings? Had this once, but with a horde attack on a city, & the PC got overloaded

The Storyteller
10-20-2005, 12:47
Just two full stacks, one of mine vs one of theirs. I tried turning the resolution down to the lowest level, and turned off everything like shadows and anti aliasing and stuff. Still the same problem. It's almost as if the game is set to crash at a specific time, like in pre patch MTW.

It's really frustrating, because I know I can win this battle... and I really don't want to throw away all the progress I've made just because of a bug!

Prodigal
10-20-2005, 14:05
Strange, save the game, then back off the bridge, maybe fighting them in a different location may sort it, at least you wouldn't have to start again. Also check their troop types, & note them incase it happens again, could be a bug with troops that swim...

The Storyteller
10-20-2005, 14:26
True... A last minute change in plans would be better than restarting. There were no troops in the water when this happened. I do notice it always happens around the time the enemy starts routing. Don't know whether the routing is causing it (doubt it, because sometimes I get to rout them across the bridge and sometimes I don't) or whether I just happen to be routing them around the same time each time. Thanks for the advice anyway.

The Storyteller
10-23-2005, 05:15
I solved the problem temporarily by turning the battle timer off. That worked for a couple of turns. Now the problem is back. Different battle, same bridge. Something is wrong here. It's the bridge next to Burdigala going North. Does anyone else face this problem? The game crashes to desktop mid battle on that bridge?

PseRamesses
10-23-2005, 09:01
I solved the problem temporarily by turning the battle timer off. That worked for a couple of turns. Now the problem is back. Different battle, same bridge. Something is wrong here. It's the bridge next to Burdigala going North. Does anyone else face this problem? The game crashes to desktop mid battle on that bridge?
I´ve had the same problem many times but never in the same place twice which I find odd. I solved my problem 1. like you tried, I withdrew and 2. autoresolved the battle the it didn´t happen again.
Q: is there a bridge there or just a ford? I´ve found that some fords are bugged but I´ve never experienced a CTD with a bridge-battle.

Slug For A Butt
10-23-2005, 09:57
Just wondering, I overclocked my Athlon and found that my processor was getting too stressed during any big battle and having a hissy fit. Always during a large battle.
Just wondering if you've done the same? It runs like a dream now its running at the normal speed.

PseRamesses
10-23-2005, 13:25
I overclocked my Athlon and found that my processor was getting too stressed during any big battle and having a hissy fit.
I´m a complete ass when it comes to do theese things. Could you give me a step-for-step guidance how to "overclock" mine? Post here or PM me since this is not the right thread for theese things really. Thx in advance. :bow:

lars573
10-23-2005, 14:52
To overclock a processor you have to short out leads on it. To do that you have to remove it from the machine and connect certain ones with solder or a conductive paste type stuff.

ShellShock
10-23-2005, 17:14
To overclock a processor you have to short out leads on it. To do that you have to remove it from the machine and connect certain ones with solder or a conductive paste type stuff.

Most modern motherboards allow you to overclock the CPU using the BIOS, as long as the processor supports it.

Slug For A Butt
10-24-2005, 00:00
Yup, I just simply overclocked it in the bios.
And it worked like a dream apart from BI when it wasn't a happy bunny.
Just wondered if Storyteller had done the same, as it seems to affect him in multi stack battles.

Oh Pse, on my Asus motherboard I just hit the "del" key to enter the bios. Then under an option called something like "advanced bios features" you can see a couple of figures. Ones the external cpu frequency which you shouldnt touch, the option you are interested in is the frequency multiplier option. Times the two together to get the clock speed of your processor. So if you want to overclock it, just up the frequency multiplier, times it by the external frequency and you'll see the resulting frequency. Don't up it too much though unless you are sure you have a thermal cutoff to stop it burning out. ~:eek:
I've got a 133 external freq and a 12.5 multiplier which gives you 1662 which is near as dammit the stated operating speed of my processor. If I up the freq multiplier to 13 the clock speed will be 1729.
Im no guru, unlike some of the guys here. But it may help if you've got a slower processor like mine. I think I just upped it a little too much and got the same sort of problems that Storyteller has got.~:mecry: