PDA

View Full Version : Shogun ranking ladder

yobobo
11-07-2000, 08:06
Hello all,

I run a ranking ladder using the chess rating system. I would like to add Shogun to the line up. Right now I have only hosted WW2 games but think Shogun is perfect for this ranking format, and I love the game. I would change the ranking icons at the site to suit Shogun's time period. All updates are automatic after every game report. Daily Results, full player stats, after action comments etc..
Please take a peek and let me know your thoughts. Anything is possible http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif http://tournamenthouse.com/CC3/

Regards,

yobobo
yobobo@tournamenthouse.com

Very nice looking site you all have here!

Rob
11-07-2000, 09:13
I like your idea, but Shogun already has a ranking system and unless the developers open up the server and/or results database, there is not going to be any easy way of running a separate ranking system. You would have to rely on players reporting their results fairly and accurately and this is unlikely to happen. However, I may be wrong and I would advise you to also post your message at the Community forum at totalwar.com and possibly e-mail the developers with your idea.

yobobo
11-07-2000, 09:53
Thanks for your reply.
How we have been operating is this. Members play on line, like the MS Gaming Zone or direct connect; after they finish the battle the defeated reports his/her loss at the ranking site. We use the defeated report system as this stop false win reports http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif After the report is made both players stats and ratings are updated. We have over 18,000 total game reports made at the site with very few disputes. The system also awards points for who you beat, and updates your score accordingly. An example would be a low rated player losing to a high rated player. The high rated player would not score a lot of points beating up on a rookie, this stops player from getting an inflated rank by picking on the new guys. At the same time, if the low rated player does become victorious, he will score large!
Whoops, sorry I was running on at the mouth lol.

yobobo

Rob
11-07-2000, 10:04
Well I suppose your system does solve a lot of problems but I seriously doubt that you would be able to persuade people to report all of their defeats. The way things are at the moment, some players cheat quite a lot and these players would enjoy the possibility of not having to report their defeats.

Perhaps the more honourable players might wish to join an alternative league, but since are not massive numbers of players actually playing the game online, there would probably not be enough to make it worthwhile. A better option might be to host smaller tournaments, played over a short period of time (up to a week). The first tournament of this type is due to be held on Friday night, so you might want to see how that works and possibly get some ideas.

yobobo
11-07-2000, 10:23
Hi Rob,

Yup, we do run into players not reporting. We have dispute mail to deal with these issues. What happenes when players do not report a loss? We report it for them. If this happens two more times, we delete them.
Again Rob thanks for your input. To bad though, I would love to host it! A damn fine game.

yobobo

Link Shumeisan
11-07-2000, 13:09
Good idea Yobobo but as Rob pointed out, I think there is not enough players to make it work...
However I am in if enough players are registered.

yobobo
11-08-2000, 05:16
Still thinking......
We don't need a lot of players. Even If we had only 20, should still be fun, I think?
How many are we?

yobobo

Link Shumeisan
11-08-2000, 05:33
I am...
Time of play 19-22 GMT+1 (winter time)
almost every days except week-ends

Rob
11-08-2000, 06:19
Well the most players I have ever seen online at one time was ~ 80.

There are thousands of players registered to play, though obviously some players are registered more than once, due to re-registering to include a clan name in their player name or just to start over after doing badly.

You probably could get 20 players if you tried hard enough but I think you would have to offer something different to the current system rather than a direct competitor.

yobobo
11-08-2000, 06:39
Hi Rob,

"You probably could get 20 players if you tried hard enough but I think you would have to offer something different to the current system rather than a direct competitor."

Do you mean Clans?
If so that is not a problem.

yobobo