PDA

View Full Version : Huns on the run, never ending battle

rebelscum
10-25-2005, 18:36
I began a Sarmatian campaign today with a single small village to my name. Knowing the huns were closing in I moved a good stack of units away into goth territory. I left two vigin horsewomen two generals and a spear unit inside.
The remaining defenders routed the first horde single stack. The next turn I was hit on all 4 sides and my faction leader and his son were killed.
Up pops my horde over the bridge on the campaign map.
The next turn I clashed with the first horde stack vs two of mine.
I made mincemeat of them due to their poor tactics trying to get heavy cav over the bridge hitting my spears whilst I shot everything else up with the missile cav. When they sent in the spear units I used my swords in to take care of them. After their inital charge they seemed hesitant, lining up their units for a bridge crossing but not moving. I goaded them on by moving my spear units back and they began a charge with the rest, infantry over the bridge and their missile and remaining cav over the water.
When they routed I was quite pleased as any remaining units ran back into the approaching AI general and his stack.
As soon as the battle finished a second began, my two stacks vs one.
It was a complete re-run on the first battle and it left me a little worn down by pretty much still a fighting force.
As soon as that battle finished another one started. Another re-run and I won it rather easily as I had the system down pat this time.
So now the hun horde is down to half their original size and I have about 3 full stacks. If I wait across the bridge I think I can pretty much destroy the entire hun horde. What happens then? Do they re-appear and do the same again, if so I dont think I could put up with the tedium.
:shrug:

dismal
10-25-2005, 19:01
If you destroy them while they are a horde, it's bye-bye forever.

They can re-horde when they lose their last city.

Craterus
10-25-2005, 19:20
Destro them ASAP. Without a city, and with no generals, the faction is destroyed. In a friend's Celt campaign, I saw a single Goth general wandering around. Without the force to take a city, he was doomed.

Sleepy
10-25-2005, 19:50
Destro them ASAP. Without a city, and with no generals, the faction is destroyed. In a friend's Celt campaign, I saw a single Goth general wandering around. Without the force to take a city, he was doomed.I thought the same with a solitary horde faction leader wandering around on his own. That is until he found a rebel town with a very small garrison which he then sieged. He would have taken the town but I managed to rush an adhoc force to break his siege and later finally run him down.

Bottom line kill them all.

Conqueror
10-25-2005, 20:08
Think about how absurd that would be... some guy with a bunch of bodyguards takes over a town all byhimself, then when he gets kicked out, the townsmen he subjucated all pack up and follow him in masses and merrily fight for him ~:eek:

Craterus
10-25-2005, 20:09
My friend thought it was entertaining to watch him wandering around without the balls to assault towns. He would siege, and then leave when the enemy sallied to meet (and beat) him...

TinCow
10-25-2005, 20:24
Think about how absurd that would be... some guy with a bunch of bodyguards takes over a town all byhimself, then when he gets kicked out, the townsmen he subjucated all pack up and follow him in masses and merrily fight for him ~:eek:

Especially when more men take up arms and leave the town than the town had in the first place.

lilljonas
10-25-2005, 21:01
It all due to that rugged barbarian charisma. ;)

rebelscum
10-25-2005, 22:32
Especially when more men take up arms and leave the town than the town had in the first place.
They are like some species of insect, they can lay in teh ground for years and pop up when it rains. In this case they pop up when the general becomes a homeless vagrant.

rebelscum
10-25-2005, 22:34
Sounds like a spaghetti western I once saw.

antisocialmunky
10-25-2005, 22:40
Sounds like feudalism to me.

rebelscum
10-25-2005, 23:03
Sounds like feudalism to me.
Next person to mention feudalism gets stoned, or is it IEHOUAH.