PDA

View Full Version : I want to get land by marriage

bretwalda
10-25-2005, 19:00
Of course I did not mean real life :wink:

I have done a few campaign, always GA mode and I never got any land through marriage. I have seen the Horde gain lands this way (interestingly both times it was Sicily ~:eek: ) but never for my faction.

So, fellow ORGers, please list the deeds that I can do (starting from the setup, faction, era choice, to gameplay, etc) that I can maximize the possibility of gaining land this way.

I will actually try the interesting suggestions: you can suggest vanilla MTW VI and XL 2.01

Let it out!

Geezer57
10-25-2005, 20:08
This is an exceedingly rare event in the game, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.
I'd recommend a smaller, relatively secure faction (England, Spain, or any of the Scandinavian factions come to mind), in a GA game. You'll want to be away from the main Crusade paths on the map. Stay small and as isolated as possible, build a strong navy, but try not to acheive any of the "biggest" conditions. You don't want to have the largest military (just the best!), or make the most money, etc., as that just alienates the AI factions. Your goal is to make your Princes as attractive as possible to the AI, and to have an extensive agent network covering the entire map. That way, you're poised to intervene to destabilize foreign regimes and trigger rebellions without being at war with many. These should lead to maximum chances of inheriting, but I'd expect you to have to play many campaigns before acheiving this goal. Have fun!

Zarax
10-25-2005, 20:18
Take the Danish, go for scandinavia then get polish/aragonese/sicilian princesses.
After you married some just swarm them with assassins until they are no more.
Works even better if you got an experienced grand inquisitor...

Vladimir
10-25-2005, 20:21
She has huge…tracts of land. Just marry your princes off and exterminate the rival faction while remaining allied to them. I don’t have the patience for it but it could work.

bretwalda
10-25-2005, 21:01
Good suggestions!

How to keep my influence high? I guess that also required for getting princesses. Grand Inquisitors are only available from high - is that correct?

Zarax
10-25-2005, 21:03
Good suggestions!

How to keep my influence high? I guess that also required for getting princesses. Grand Inquisitors are only available from high - is that correct?

Yes, they're available from high, this means on early you're forced to rely on assassins... though as the Danish the Polish were often so kind to die without my intervention shortly after the marriage...

Roark
10-26-2005, 01:27
In Early, the Danish and Polish royal families seem to be fairly replete with girls. Concentrate on marrying off your spawn to the princesses of one faction (maximum 2...), and start pumping out assassins to attack the males of the royal family.

I've nabbed Sweden/Norway/Denmark and Poland in this way, without having to face battles in the snowy mountains of the North, which can be a pain.

bretwalda
10-26-2005, 11:33
Anybody ever managed to get land by this way?

mfberg
10-26-2005, 16:29
Only by accident, my Byzantine prince married a nice spanish princess, had a few kids, relieved a couple of seiges on the Spanish mainland, and when the Spanish king died without heirs we inherited Codoba, Navarre, and Castile, the rest went rebel.

mfberg

English assassin
10-26-2005, 16:42
Never seen it. I'm sure it does happen, but the chances must be vanishingly small.

bretwalda
10-26-2005, 17:20
Only by accident, my Byzantine prince married a nice spanish princess, had a few kids, relieved a couple of seiges on the Spanish mainland, and when the Spanish king died without heirs we inherited Codoba, Navarre, and Castile, the rest went rebel.

mfberg

That is cool. Is there like a "friendliness meter" assigned to each faction relation? If there is, I should be also helping allies by siege lifing and attacking mutual enemies: and those are the muslim for sure (they don't have princesses)

Grond
10-26-2005, 21:18
That is cool. Is there like a "friendliness meter" assigned to each faction relation? If there is, I should be also helping allies by siege lifing and attacking mutual enemies: and those are the muslim for sure (they don't have princesses)

I'm sure you're on to something there. I've noticed that if you help out certain factions and you lift seiges, don't abandon them when the pope treats them like dogs, and are civil, they usually respect you until it's time for them to stop. (Like, when you get too big. Nobody likes winners.) I've had fair weather allies, and I've had some that I helped break seiges and it's the seige breakers that were usually much better allies, even when the pope hated me.

It helps if the situation falls in such a way that there are seiges you can relieve, of course, since pesky enemies don't always cooperate by attacking and creating those golden opportunities to demonstrate what a great guy you are (and raise your King's influence as well).