PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty 2

Bob the Insane
10-27-2005, 14:33
I picked this up in EB Games yesterday and had a long blast at it last night...

What can I say, the gameplay is pretty much the same a CoD with a couple of additions.

1. The enemy AI, enemy soldier while not exactly immune to suicidal rushs is much improved. Moving in response to the player rather than simply being scripted. If uses cover more effectively (rarely are any knees or elbows left sticking out) and will move to flank you if the map allows of it. It's use of fire to surpress you and grenades to flush you out is very impressive... Friendly AI is good too without being too good. It seems to be tuned so that you never feel alone, but always feel your impact is significant and making a difference. The AI often advances on your que, but then you always seem to be 'on point'!!

2. Some of the (later) maps are much more wide open (the demo was not a good example of this. These maps allow the AI (see above) to really shine. In the tighter maps it is really not the different to the first game. In fact the map will have several objectives that you are free to complete in what ever order you wish moving through the map in a route of your chosing. Additionally the level design is excellent and very authentic. The best of it is in the American campaign...

3. Smoke... You have smoke grenades you can use at any time, but you only have 4 and it is rare to find more on the field. They are really effective and one of the best smoke effects I have seen. It really is significant enough that it adds a whole new element to the gameplay. The smoke is very thick and it is pretty safe to move behind it and through it. Moving through it is awkward as you can barely see anything and you suddenly find yourself in the middle of a whole group of Nazi's!! While you can use it whenever you want they are some areas where if you pretty obvious you need the smoke and if it is all gone you are going to have a very hard time...

Sound is as good as ever and cover another new feature. Described as Battle Chat, the friendly AI will dynamically and accurately spot the enemy for you. Shouting things like 'jerry over to the left, by the supply crates' or 'enemy on the 2nd floor in the red brick building'. This is done dynamically when the friendly AI spots them and is both immersive and useful. The music is good as is all the other sounds, but that is nothing new in FPS...

Graphics, basically very good. Pretty much in the same style as CoD but with all the upto date bells and whistles. Textures are very nice. Loads of very stronge particle effects, loads of haze and smoke and often some pretty big draw distances.

I have a AMD64 +3200, 1GB RAM, WinXP SP2, 6800GT and Audigy 2ZS (the important bits), and I am running the 81.85 Nvidia drivers.

I have the resolution on 1240x1024 and had all the graphics maxed out. This worked fine of the training level but as soon as you get to the first real mission and see a well lit large expanse the framerate went into single figures. In the end I disabled FSAA (by default it is on x4!) and 'soften edges' and set 'number of dynamic lights' to medium. I have a pretty solid framerate so fair after the changes. The desert towns in the British campaign can be a serious framerate killer...

I made the mistake of selecting Regular difficulty. Now I play quite a lot of FPS (especially the more real work and tactical ones) and while it has not necessarily been easy, I have not died very much, and so far there has only been one point where I have had to reload a few times. So I guess if you consider yourself good at FPS don't even bother with anything under Hard.

This leads me on to another nice new feature, saving. No longer can you save your own game whereever you want. The game autosaves at pretty frequently though and if you die you automatically go back to the last autosave. While this sounds annoying at first it is in fact enlightened. You don't have to worry about saving the game or interupting the gameply looking for F5 or something. Additionally the autosave system is intelligent and apparantly will not save while the enemy are aiming at you or throwing a grenade at you! Effectively the save feature appears to work exactly as if you where constnatly quick saving yourself without you having to break the immersion factor...

Anyway, overall 8/10. It is not revolutionary but it is a solid evolution of CoD. Losing nothing of the original game, improving most things and introduce a whole bunch of new features. Having said that, overall it is pretty much still the same game at heart... You are not so much on rails as a pretty wide road (room to move around but all going in the same direction)...

I don;t think I missed anything out... And please don't play it on easy, you will be finished in a single evening!!!

Taurus
10-27-2005, 14:45
Thanks very much for the review Bob the Insane. ~:)

It sounds like it has improved on an already awesome game and I will be getting it for sure.

Thanks,
- Hero

Fragony
10-27-2005, 15:02
I am probably the only person that didn't like the first, but it sounds rather awesome!

Bob the Insane
10-27-2005, 16:03
Thanks...

And check this out, nvidia have a released a beta driver 81.87 that specifically states:

"Improved performance and compatibility for Call of Duty 2."

Going to give that a go as soon as I get home...

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_32bit_81.87.html

Murmandamus
10-31-2005, 04:57
Sounds great. It's not released over here until next week :(

Is the performance better than the demo? The demo ran a little slow for me and I'm wondering if I will have to go SLI.

Taurus
10-31-2005, 10:44
It's out here on the 4th of November so I will be getting it then.

Looks like B&W 2 is gonna have to wait. :bow:

Bob the Insane
10-31-2005, 12:37
Finished SP last night (the wife is away and I was bored) and it adds up to about 10 hours gameplay...

The US Ranger missions really are the pick of the bunch...

Switched up to Hardened for the US missions and it was a much better game, genuinly hard in places. Very authentic action... I am still remembering bits from last night so it must have been good... The end of Hill 400 is particularly scary in a 'i'm gona die, i'm gona die" kind of way. I genuinely found myself thinking "I really, really don't want to be here!" and this is just a game!!!...

In the french villages I got a feeling for what my poor soldiers went through when I was playing the old Close Combat series of games... It's alot easier to command your troops the throw smoke and then storm the old church from an above view. In first person charging through the smoke with rounds zipping past it is not as easy...

It is odd really, that when someone invents a truely realistic and authentic WW2 FPS, the people who play it will probably not find themselves enjoying it, but simple trying to get through it so they can "go home and never do this again!". Now that would be authentic!!

Performance...

Well it depends on the setting you use, set everything to max and you will get that AMD46 FX, 2GB and nvidia 7800 rig to stretch it's legs a bit...

Personally I have it running on 1240x1024 with everthing maxed except (important!) Dynamic lighting (appears to be a real killer), FSAA (switched it off) and somthing called 'Soften Edges'...

So bascially it is very scaleable for different machines, but at lower resolutions and textures it will look just like CoD. With a more powerful machine and Graphic card (and at least 1GB RAM) then it can look a bit special...

Additional the new nvidia beta driver I mentioned above made quite a difference too!

Bob the Insane
11-03-2005, 16:53
I have been giving the CoD2 MP a go and it is pretty cool. Plays just like the CoD MP but with way better graphics. The smoke sees a lot of use too, especially in the more open maps.

It is interesting to see that a proportion of the MP maps are based on the CoD MP maps but given sweet graphical overhaul...

Gameplay seems fast and frenzied, but after you play for a while you notice the players that do well are more careful and patient and take advantage of the chaotic environment to kill without being killed. It is nice to have a WW2 game where the plain old battle rifle is pretty uber for once...

More annoying is the fact that the large style maps and gameplay in CoD:UO (MP of course) is not there. Maybe we will for a expansion patch for CoD2 as well...

Shaka_Khan
11-04-2005, 05:42
Wow! I saw a picture of it and thought it was a real picture from Iraq.
I waited two years without a game console to buy an X-Box 360 or a new Playstation.

Here are two trailers: http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2672321

[DnC]
11-05-2005, 13:59
I've just unlocked the American Scenario and thus far it's amazing. I personally think CoD2 is better then the first and not just visually! The smoke grenades are indeed useful and most impressive eyecandy.

Usually I'm not really fond of the missions where you're driving a vehicle or flying a plane, but driving in one of those Crusader tanks was done very, very well! Anyone played Pacific Assault (yeah, yeah different developer) and did that airplane mission? That was godawfull! Horrendous controls and utterly frustating mission. I used godmode to get through that mission fast! Didn't want to waste time on such a pile of crap.

Is it me or does CoD2 seem more epic? It's really immersive. I especially got that "holy crap" feeling in a brittish mission where you're advancing with a whole bunch of tanks as a grunt. Simply WOW!

The AI is really good, never played against such a good AI before in a FPS. Ducking and running for cover. At one point a german sniper or rifleman stood somewhere up a building, I spotted him and aimed my sights at him. I had to duck for cover because I was being shot at, then promptly aimed my sights again in the same direction and didn't see him, looked around and saw that the guy had moved to the right against a wall and by ducking making himself very small and hard to hit. Really nice! They did an ace job on the AI in my opinion.

The russian scenario is obviously inspired by "Enemy at the Gates". Vasili Koslov instead of Vasili Zaitsev? A russian officer being shot through the head in the simular looking spot as where Zaitsev shot a german officer? Russians repairing telephone lines instead of germans? Heh. Still nicely done though ~:)

All in all it's a great game, despite being expensive and perhaps too short, but I'm not finished yet, so I can't be certain of that. Anyways, the game costs €60,- minus €6,- discount (€54,-) at Dynabyte. Quake IV's just as expensive and some other games too. All the big titles are getting more and more expensive, ridiculous if you ask me.

Divine Wind
11-05-2005, 17:21
If anyones interested my clan has just opened up a new COD2 section, and will soon be in training for laddering. Have a look at the site and ask some questions on our board. Its a nice friendly clan with generally older members.

http://www.world-conflicts-clan.com/

Bob the Insane
11-05-2005, 20:25
Had the opportunity to go to the local Walmart today and see the XBOX 360 in action (Walmart has a special deal to show off demo ones). Was playing CoD2 of all things so I could do a comparison and they had it hooked up to a HD TV...

Well it looked, pretty much the same as my AMD64 with 1GB RAM a 6800GT... It was pretty cool, though you would have to run them side by side to really spot any differences...

Mind you I still think a gamepad is a daft (and useless) controller for a FPS...

Controls appeared to be the same, but I could not work out how to lean or go prone...

Kraxis
11-06-2005, 04:02
']All the big titles are getting more and more expensive, ridiculous if you ask me.
The big ones have slowly been creeping up the priceladder over the last 6-8 years. A very sneaky and effective approach to it. They are in effect slowly wringing as much juice out of us as they can. And I honestly think there is a bit of a cartel between the big publishers. Their titles are always at the top end of the price and more or less the same. That can't be right... I mean they must be able to underbid each other.

[DnC]
11-06-2005, 09:30
Really? Haven't noticed that. As you say it must have been done very sneaky.
Only now it is rather apparent due to the large inclimation of the prices. The only other large inclimation of the prices I had seen was due to the Euro. Before the Euro a price for a game was usually around 100 Guilders. 1 Euro = 2.2 Guilders (roughly). Now most games are €50,- and ofcourse the big titles above that, some €10,- higher. Bah!

Kekvit Irae
11-11-2005, 01:53
CoD2 is a beautiful game, if extremely overdone.

Pros:

Finally, an African campaign!
Finally, a D-Day landing that was NOT Omaha!
The battleshouts ("Jerries, on the second floor!" "Jerry grenade!") and the new grenade indicator WILL save your life. I cant imagine how many times I was saved a reload by ducking out of the way of a potato masher. If this was CoD1, I would have been dead hundreds of times over.
AI is better. Germans now liberally use their grenades when you are pinned down or dug in.
The African Crusader missions were no longer just a linear pathway with enemies lining the roads. Now you are free to pick your path (with a LOT of open space), and one mission has you in a MASSIVE point blank tank battle, where friendly fire is common if you arent careful. I loved it much more than the Russian tank missions of CoD1.
German MG-42s + tight city street + rushing under the cover of smoke grenades = tactical satisfaction.
ALL tanks in the infantry campaigns now have points where you can place demolitions, instead of requiring you to run around and find a Panzerfaust. The downside is, you usually have to run in the field of fire just to catch the Tiger or Panzer to do so.
No more health indicators, and you regenerate your health. As broken as it may sound, it's actually quite balanced as you can now take much less damage before you keel over and die than you could in CoD1.

Cons:

Stalingrad. Again.
The defense of Moscow is JUST a tutorial! Wtf?
Smoke grenades, while lifesavers, can bog down your computer if you need to lay down a full line (4) of them. Mileage may vary, but this was taken at 800x600 with AAx4 with a Geforce FX 5600 Ultra.
The Russian campaign is nothing BUT Stalingrad.
The British tank missions are too damn short, and there arent enough of them!
Did I mention Stalingrad?
Only once did I hear a historical recount voiceover, during the victory screen after the battle of Point du Hauc. This displeased me, as I wanted historical recounts of the other battles as well.
MP-44s are almost virtually non-existant in Stalingrad and Africa. This annoys me to no end as the MP-44 Battle Rifle is my favorite weapon to salvage.

Bottom line: If you are a fan of CoD1, there's not much here to see that you havent seen already. If you havent played the original, this is a very good, if extremely short, buy.

Kraxis
11-11-2005, 04:07
No MP-44s in Stalingrad or Africa... How come? As far as I know around 0 were ever present at either place.~;)

Alexander the Pretty Good
11-11-2005, 04:12
Wiki on MP 44's. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP_44)

:bow:

Kraxis
11-11-2005, 04:26
"The STG44 can still be found in action to this day in some places including Iraq, although not it is not currently being produced."

~:eek: ~:eek: ~:eek:
WOW!!! How the heck do they get their hands on them? And use them since they are bored for 7.92mm rounds (which haven't been produced since West Germany entered Nato).

Kekvit Irae
11-11-2005, 05:01
I mean in the game

Kraxis
11-11-2005, 05:30
I mean in the game
Exactly... Why should the weapon be there? Just because it is the best? No it fits very well that it isn't there. Cityfighting should be as problematic as it was. A StG44 would make it too easy.

Sasaki Kojiro
11-11-2005, 08:17
I didn't much like it...

The health thing sucked, duck behind a wall and you regain all your health in a couple seconds? healing yourself with health packs was way better, they were limited and only in certain locations. There was none of this "shoot some enemies, get hurt, duck behind wall, heal, shoot some more enemies" nonsense. Pretty much the only way I ever died was from grenades. The grenades were also pretty annoying since the AI threw them every time, way to predictable.

None of the missions had an epic feel to them the way united offensive and some of the original missions did. There was no tension or suspense. There was a distinct lack of blowing shit up, like lighthouses and bridges with trains going across. What there was a lot of was running into a town with 8 or so soldiers to help you, and then clearing out about 6 houses one by one, completely on your own while your "allies" sat around outside.

Some of the british missions were cool, I liked fighting in the desert. The russian campaign was pretty boring except for the bit in the pipes, and the American campaign was terrible. You run out on the beach, get shot a couple times, regenerate your health, and then climb a rope in complete safety from which point it is just like any other mission.

The fact that you were always in full health meant you didn't have to worry about being killed by a couple bullets and the autosave feature meant when you did die you just started back a couple feet.

It didn't have any great moments and I never felt any emotion. Bleh.

I was dissapointed.

Bob the Insane
11-11-2005, 16:36
Horses for courses I guess, personally I found lot of exciting moments...

While the US beach lands was not one of the hardest missions it was extremely historically accurate and I simple keep thinking "I can;t belevie people actually did this for real!"...

I remember climbing up Hill 400 and then defending it from counter attack, I remember in one of the pausing during the German counter attack thinking "I really don't want to be here"...

I found the missions to be much more militarily authentic in style, you are simply one of the troops (on point maybe, but no superhero) in a military encounter, try to stay alive and do your job. There is no real story thread to the game, just a group of events/encounters sometime base on real world events (some missions more losely than others)...

The health thing while not realistic at all, I don't find to be any worse a concet than magical health packs...

Well hopefully they will do an exapnsion worthy of UO for CoD2...

jeffreyLebowski
11-15-2005, 20:27
i don't really get all the complaining about the health system. how exactly was running around picking up magical health packs that instantly heal you any more realistic than the current system? at least the new system keeps a nice abb and flow to the gunfights.

besides, if you're playing on the higher 2 difficultly levels, you can barely take 1 or 2 shots before dying anyways. you never get a chance to get back behind cover.

Viking
11-16-2005, 22:07
i don't really get all the complaining about the health system. how exactly was running around picking up magical health packs that instantly heal you any more realistic than the current system? at least the new system keeps a nice abb and flow to the gunfights.

Difficultness? There could be long between each of these “magic health packs”, and sometimes I had to reload(sometimes several reloads was necessary) to get past a point in CoD or UO.

UO was at certain places extremely difficult, and in a fun way. The graphics were good too. While the graphics might be better in CoD2, that`s not enough to save my gaming experience. The missions are way too short, and the new health systems is ridicoulous and typically arcade. MoH PA had a much better solution to this: you had too call a medic when you were down. Heck, if you turned the option on, you would even start bleeding when taking hard damage and your health bar would start decreasing until you bandaged yourself, wich took a few seconds, and could put you in serious danger. Oh, and I should mention that the medic did not only have to take care of you, but also your teammates, so you could die while waiting for him to get finished with the others.

I have not completed the game yet, and is unfortunately not looking forward to it. It`s a pity what they`ve done to Call of Duty.

If any expansion, I will not buy it otherwise SP have changed, perhaps back to what it once was. I`m begging there will be a new MoH with battlescenes from Europe.

Kekvit Irae
11-17-2005, 00:34
Dont expect anything as momentous as the fall of Berlin for the ending of Call of Duty 2. The endgame left me wanting more, and not in a good way.

Beirut
11-17-2005, 02:24
I'm going to pick up Brothers in Arms as soon as I can get to the game store. I tried the demo and it's very good. Great fire & movement action. Nice to be able to direct a tank and a squad at the same time. Really opens up a lot of tactical options. Excellent graphics too. I'm able to run BIA (demo) at 1024x768 but CoD2 (demo) only at 800x600.

I read that the new Brothers in Arms, BIA: Earned in Blood, has excellent AI. The enemy moves, retreats, reforms, fixes, and flanks you. I saw a video of it. Very cool.

The only bad part is the iron sight "zoom" mode, which bobbles up and down to simulate breathing, but acts more like someone having an asthma attack. Very, very hard to aim through the sites.

I played the CoD2 demo as well, while good fun and great to look at, it doesn't look as absorbing as BIA.

Alrowan
11-17-2005, 13:18
heh im getting sick of this extra movment down iron sights. ive fired rifles in my time and i know for a fact it isnt the hardest thing to keep it relativly steady while breathing, in fact ive found breathing does nothing to the guns movment, rather the length and weight of the gun afect it more, as your arms tire from holding it out and up for extended periods of time

Kraxis
11-17-2005, 13:42
heh im getting sick of this extra movment down iron sights. ive fired rifles in my time and i know for a fact it isnt the hardest thing to keep it relativly steady while breathing, in fact ive found breathing does nothing to the guns movment, rather the length and weight of the gun afect it more, as your arms tire from holding it out and up for extended periods of time
Tell that to the skishooters... They need visible time to get the sight onto the target.

But I agree, in this case it is just not good. At least it should be pretty much gone when prone.

Alrowan
11-17-2005, 15:01
im not saying you dont need time to line up your target once you bring the weapon up to sights, but when u have it, and hold it, its fairly steady.

also ive know some people who shoot clay targets for sport, one of them is #1 in his state for his division, and watching them is amazing, these guys can bring thier weapons from the hip to sights, and hit the moving clay targets in a matter of secconds, and not once do any ever mention that breathing hinders thier aim

Kraxis
11-17-2005, 15:36
I'm not talkign about SKEETshooting but SKIshooting, you know where the skiers run a specific course, and on it there are 2-3 shooting ranges (standing and prone are the norm but I have seen a few crouched) were they have to hit 5 targets, every miss results in either a timepenalty or a run around a smaller course (200 meters I think).

They have visible trouble laying the sights on the targets, especially on the standing range despite very balanced rifles.

Having shot the H&K G3 I can say that it is not fun at all to shoot standing. After about 5 seconds of aiming you get tired and the sight goes wobbling. Personally I managed to 'invent' a system to lessen this effect by circling the target in ever tighter circles, but this still took a few seconds.
Regarding breathing, I learned that I should hold my breath or slowly exhale when I pulled the trigger... Seemed to work rather good.

So a tired shooter would have real issues with breathing if he was standing but normally it would be the weight of the weapon that caused the inaccuracy.

Bob the Insane
11-17-2005, 17:26
If shooting 50-100 yards then breathing does not matter that much but to regularly knock down targets at 200 yards plus (especially over 300 yards) you really need to pay attention to your breathing. Personally I always found the Fire Trench to be the most stable positions, especially if you 'cheated' and jammed the base of the magazine into the ground. Then it is breath in, out, in, hold, fire and repeat to get really accurate fire...

Of course I think the game exaggerates effect a bit because the enemy are generally pretty close to you rather than been 200-400 yards away on average...

Viking
11-17-2005, 19:14
Dont expect anything as momentous as the fall of Berlin for the ending of Call of Duty 2. The endgame left me wanting more, and not in a good way.

Doesn`t sound good.... Anyway, I am looking forward to try how the D-day landings work out on a different engine. It`s only the 2nd FPS game where you run ashore on the D-day rather than parachuting, right?

I'm going to pick up Brothers in Arms as soon as I can get to the game store. I tried the demo and it's very good. Great fire & movement action. Nice to be able to direct a tank and a squad at the same time. Really opens up a lot of tactical options. Excellent graphics too. I'm able to run BIA (demo) at 1024x768 but CoD2 (demo) only at 800x600.

I read that the new Brothers in Arms, BIA: Earned in Blood, has excellent AI. The enemy moves, retreats, reforms, fixes, and flanks you. I saw a video of it. Very cool.

The only bad part is the iron sight "zoom" mode, which bobbles up and down to simulate breathing, but acts more like someone having an asthma attack. Very, very hard to aim through the sites.

I played the CoD2 demo as well, while good fun and great to look at, it doesn't look as absorbing as BIA.

Sounds good, I might give it a try. There was nothing too exeptional with the original BiA, but it was good.

Taurus
11-17-2005, 20:54
No complaints whatsoever in this game apart from the fact that I finished it the day I bought it but the replay value is good so it isn't all bad on that front.

Everything else though is amazing,no two missions are the same. CoD1 was amazing but this is on a whole new level. The AI is great, the graphics are stunning, and the atmosphere is mind blowing, there is nothing like defending a position outnumbered 50-1 with extrememly suitable music playing in the background, bombs going off everywhere, grenades expoloding all around you, ducking for cover from an MG-42...I could go on all day it's just awesome.

Truly excellent game and well worth the money. I advise everyone who has got it to play it NOW and everyone who hasn't got it to buy it and play it NOW

Overall Rating: 9/10

Kekvit Irae
11-17-2005, 23:15
Doesn`t sound good.... Anyway, I am looking forward to try how the D-day landings work out on a different engine. It`s only the 2nd FPS game where you run ashore on the D-day rather than parachuting, right?

Yes, but unfortunately, Point du Hauc is in no way the same as the beaches of Omaha or Utah. When you exit your landing craft, the majority of the time you spend on the beach is an in-game scene when your landing craft explodes and you are left stunned on the beach watching others around you die. Once you get control of your character again, it takes five seconds to reach the proper rope to climb (the cliff is FIVE FEET in front of you, unlike Omaha) with virtually no danger to yourself until you get on top of the cliff.
Dont go in expecting something as epic as the rush into Omaha as you did with MoH:AA.

Bleh, I am going to wait for modders to make a truely epic Omaha/Utah/Gold/Juno/Sword beach level. Come to think of it, isnt it about time the British and Canadians get their chance in the D-Day landings spotlight? Granted, Gold/Juno/Sword beaches were not as bloody as Omaha and Utah, but they were as strategically important.

Viking
11-19-2005, 19:00
Sounds even worse.... :/

Alrowan
11-20-2005, 14:56
CoD2 seems to be lacking in the multi-player from CoD, i just find the game lends itself to spammers and such running about throwing smoke grenades in all close quarters, as opposed to the grinding battles with rifles and such you would get in CoD. to me there is no fun on these urban styled maps where everyone has a tommy or a shotgun (yes its pathetic). Rifles are made pretty redundant in the MP experience, so unless you can point me in the way of some decent rifle maps i think ill be stearing clear of CoD2 MP

Viking
03-24-2006, 19:22
Anyone still play this game online...?

Taurus
03-24-2006, 20:36
Yes I still play CoD2 online quite frequently. My online name is equiNox°Taurus, and my xfire is taurus1989 if you want to add me.

- Toro

GoreBag
03-24-2006, 20:57
I've had the game for quite some time now, and I beat it on the second-to-highest difficulty level after having played the demo to pieces. I was in the process of beating over again on the highest difficulty, but grew bored and eventually uninstalled it.

However, I did find a mod for it, which is still in development, that places the character in the shoes of a German soldier (finally!). The single-player campaign is unfinished, but the multiplayer mod is available.

http://gfm.esgnserver2.de/ It's in German, though, so it may take a little getting used to before you can figure out what's going on.

Viking
03-24-2006, 23:09
Yes I still play CoD2 online quite frequently. My online name is equiNox°Taurus, and my xfire is taurus1989 if you want to add me.

- Toro

Cool. I`ve added you. My online name is {VI_Spitfire}-[NOR].

I've had the game for quite some time now, and I beat it on the second-to-highest difficulty level after having played the demo to pieces. I was in the process of beating over again on the highest difficulty, but grew bored and eventually uninstalled it.

However, I did find a mod for it, which is still in development, that places the character in the shoes of a German soldier (finally!). The single-player campaign is unfinished, but the multiplayer mod is available.

http://gfm.esgnserver2.de/ It's in German, though, so it may take a little getting used to before you can figure out what's going on.

I still have to beat the "vanilla" MP to death. Once the SP part is ready, I`ll prolly try it. Thanks for the link.

Taurus
03-24-2006, 23:14
Cool. I`ve added you. My online name is {VI_Spitfire}-[NOR].

Ok cool. I'll hopefully see you online soon mate.

Viking
03-24-2006, 23:23
Ok cool. I'll hopefully see you online soon mate.

I play the whole day, so, yeah, c' ya soon.

Androo
03-27-2006, 08:24
Granted, Gold/Juno/Sword beaches were not as bloody as Omaha and Utah, but they were as strategically important.

Actually, while Omaha turned out to be the most difficult landing, Utah was the least bloody of all the beaches. The main reason being that the first wave of landing craft were fortuitously blown off course and came ashore on a relatively undefended stretch of sand. From the wiki on Utah beach:

By the end of D-Day, some 20,000 troops had safely landed on the beach, along with 1,700 vehicles. Only about 200 casualties were recorded during the landings. The airborne casualties some miles inland from the beach were much worse, of course.

From the wiki on Juno beach:

In the first hour of the assault on Juno Beach, the Canadian forces suffered approximately 50 per cent casualty rates, comparable to those suffered by the Americans at Omaha Beach. Once the Canadians cleared the seawall (about an hour after jumping off the transports), however, they started to advance quickly inland and had a much easier time subduing the German defences than the Americans at Omaha would...By the end of D-Day the 3rd Canadian Division had penetrated farther into France than any other Allied force, having faced resistance stronger than at any beachhead - other than Omaha.

Samurai Waki
03-27-2006, 08:33
CoD 2 had an epic WW2 movie feeling to it, which I kind of liked, but it isn't very intellectually stimulating. I prefered Brothers in Arms and Earned in Blood a bit better because it actually made you think on how to assault certain positions, use your men wisely, and it gave you the feeling like you were really vunerable if you did get shot, you were by no means a superman like you are in CoD.

professorspatula
03-27-2006, 19:29
COD2 is the perfect shooter for the generation of players who don't like to die/get stuck for prolonged periods of time. It's gloriously linear and the health system makes you feel a bit like some kind of terminator who can soak up about 200 bullets in an afternoon without breaking into a sweat. It's good fun whilst it lasts but it's a game you know you are going to complete within a couple of sittings. I think it some ways this partial invulnerability thing works against the game as you never really feel inclined to be cautious. Much of the time I spent charging towards the enemy with my Bren/MP44 or whatever, firing until I run out of bullets and take half a dozen shots to the head, before ducking behind a wall, reloading my gun and counting to five and then charging back towards the dumbfounded enemies who were probably convinced they'd killed me already, only to get a facefull of bullets for their troubles. This is how much of the game pans out apart from the scripted moments.

Another thing that slightly distracts from the enjoyment is the large amount of spawning soldiers on both sides. If you don't push forward, you appear to come up against never ending hordes of nazis. It feels a little unnecessary but does at least mean you have some large firefights as your side faces off against a relentless foe, with you gradually moving forward and ducking after taking another 6 shots in the eye. You never really care about your chaps either as when they snuff it, another one appears and takes their place. There was one mission towards the end of the game where I was holed up in a farm house and defending against a massive nazi push. My team consisted of a Bren Gunner, and up to about 8 riflemen/sub-machine gunners. When the battle is over and I returned to the house, there were about 10 bren guns on the floor, suggesting at least 10 or more replacement clone bren gunners had spawned in turning the fight. A shame they didn't all appear at once as that would have been one hell of a battle then.

Btw, does anyone else find the MP44 is by far the most used gun in the game? Really there's hardly any point using anything but it during most missions, aside from ammo concerns and the odd bit of variation.

It is a fun game though. The sort of thing you show your mates or play now and again when you just want to blast the hell out of history's favourite villians. A tad too simplistic and underwhelming to be a true classic, but definitely enjoyable.

Kraxis
03-27-2006, 22:19
Agreed PP. The invulnerability was the reason why it took me so long to get it. I hate it wih a passion. And coupled with a stronger health in general (you can soak up more bullets before dying) it becomes a bad concept very fast.

But that is about the only downside I had.
I like that the enemy respawns. No more picking him off from a distance, unless you do it fast and run to take advantage of it right away. It mgiht not be very historical, but thein again it might. But at the least it makes sure we can't take advantage of the limited intelligence these men have. We have to fight for sure.

I absolutely loved the battles in the little town where you are British I think (well all the British battles were great, if somewhat odd at times, especially the tankbusting in the square). You slowly push the Germans back, fighting heated fights from crate to crate, seeing buddies getting blasted, grenades flying (I can't count the times I got killed by grenades), rushing into smoke and removing the last defenders. I LOVED it. I felt like a real soldier, not the usual hero. Of course I was a very good soldier, with positively a couple German companies on my kill list, but still.

Had the Germans had a fixed number, then they would have been easy to deal with. Sitting back with a rifle would do it.

I usually used the Bren or MP44 too, but I always kept a Garant/Gewehr 43 as backup. Especially if the Gewehr has a scope. Those rifles are very much useable as backups when you run out of ammo.
But the PPSh (Pah pah shah) is also a pretty good weapon for those close fights in Stalingrad.

In any event I did use rifles to an extent, and not just for longrange. Sometimes they were also useable at midrange.

tibilicus
03-27-2006, 22:41
I didn't really play the Sp but played the MP for a while had alot of life in it.

Im mianly playing CSS as my FPS at the moment though.

professorspatula
03-28-2006, 01:09
I haven't given mp much of a chance but from what I've played of it, it didn't really excite me that much. First go I chose a shotgun and remained in the top 3 killers on my side, even with my team being massively outnumbered for ages. The one shot, one kill thing seemed a bit brutal but effective. Then I tried a few other game variations and weapons and found myself a bit bored and frustrated. The Mp44 seems a killer weapon for the Germans, and the Spagin allows the Russians to spam fire for fun. It reminded me a bit of Hidden and Dangerous 2 online, albeit it much faster, with much better hit detection, yet not as fun. Perhaps I miss being able to play HD2 online with just a knife and a grenade and come top too much to appreciate being a middle of the road nobody in COD2 with a submachine gun or whatever. I also found the online experience to be full of whiners complaining about cheaters every 5 seconds. That really annoys me because everyone ends up paranoid all the time often over nothing. Most games seem to suffer from that though I suppose.

Proletariat
03-28-2006, 02:39
What level of difficulty are you folks who are mentioning being invulnerable playing on?

Kraxis
03-28-2006, 11:48
Not invulnerable, but just that you can soak up a good deal of damage, then rest and get it filled up again.

Viking
03-28-2006, 13:43
I haven't given mp much of a chance but from what I've played of it, it didn't really excite me that much. First go I chose a shotgun and remained in the top 3 killers on my side, even with my team being massively outnumbered for ages. The one shot, one kill thing seemed a bit brutal but effective. Then I tried a few other game variations and weapons and found myself a bit bored and frustrated. The Mp44 seems a killer weapon for the Germans, and the Spagin allows the Russians to spam fire for fun. It reminded me a bit of Hidden and Dangerous 2 online, albeit it much faster, with much better hit detection, yet not as fun. Perhaps I miss being able to play HD2 online with just a knife and a grenade and come top too much to appreciate being a middle of the road nobody in COD2 with a submachine gun or whatever. I also found the online experience to be full of whiners complaining about cheaters every 5 seconds. That really annoys me because everyone ends up paranoid all the time often over nothing. Most games seem to suffer from that though I suppose.

I usually play at a server where shotguns is not playable, and where whiners will be shut if they don`t have any evidence for what they`re saying. Shotguns are just plain boring, you don`t stand a chance against them in close fights, so I never use them even on servers where they are allowed.

Taurus
03-28-2006, 13:43
Yes but the invulnerability very much changes in mp. You should give it a go if you havn't already, it's definatly one of the best mp FPS's out there, IMO.

Proletariat
03-28-2006, 13:48
I never really play these games (FPS types), so that might explain why I die alot playing on one setting above normal. I second your comments in this paragraph..

I absolutely loved the battles in the little town where you are British I think (well all the British battles were great, if somewhat odd at times, especially the tankbusting in the square). You slowly push the Germans back, fighting heated fights from crate to crate, seeing buddies getting blasted, grenades flying (I can't count the times I got killed by grenades), rushing into smoke and removing the last defenders. I LOVED it. I felt like a real soldier, not the usual hero. Of course I was a very good soldier, with positively a couple German companies on my kill list, but still.

..but I also think it's worth trying to play a few areas while limiting yourself to a K98k procured from a fresh German corpse. If you hit someone center mass, they're likely to die instantly, somewhat offseting the slow bolt action provided you have some decent cover to use between shots. Makes it more fun to me, anyhow

Kraxis
03-28-2006, 14:11
Yeah it is a pretty strong weapon when you hit, just like the British rifle (I actually used it for a while).

Alexanderofmacedon
04-09-2006, 01:10
CoD is a game I'd love to get. I need to come up with $50 somehow:embarassed:

Taurus
04-10-2006, 14:44
You won't be dissapointed.

Monarch
04-12-2006, 11:58
The 1.2 patch is out including two new multiplayer maps :)

Viking
04-12-2006, 12:03
Although I have only played the Rostov map once, I didn`t like it. I played german in a tdm, and we didn`t stand a chance against the Russians who just sprayed you down shortly after you had spawned. Not fun. :juggle2:
The trick was that the map consist about only of small streets, and that the Ppsh is superior to any german weapon under such conditions.

Monarch
04-13-2006, 13:32
Although I have only played the Rostov map once, I didn`t like it. I played german in a tdm, and we didn`t stand a chance against the Russians who just sprayed you down shortly after you had spawned. Not fun. :juggle2:
The trick was that the map consist about only of small streets, and that the Ppsh is superior to any german weapon under such conditions.

Lol, that's so funny because I came to the same conclusions and typed in the chat thing "great, another machine gunners map" which basically one fanboy replied and was going on about how it's a great map and you can use rifles on it, to which like 5 other people backed me up.

Taurus
04-13-2006, 14:29
I feel the same way about the Rostov map too, but the Wallender-Germany map is awesome in my opinion especially for search and destroy.

A lot of people have indeed complained about the new patch though.