PDA

View Full Version : Some ideas on Channelers and Character dynamic.

Barid
10-29-2005, 01:12
Despite being a writer (after a fashion), I rely to heavily on spell check. Oh well. Please excuse any bad punctuation, spelling and grammar... because, well, I'm writing in haste. I know what I've been thinking for a few weeks, its the articulation.

But first, I have read some small debate about time period, placement and what not. Well, I think Mr. Jordan did provide a way out. The portal stones. Remember the two (possibly three) constants? If the dark one is released in one, he's out in all, and what ever happens to the one power happens in all. and Balefire. The thread is gone. The wheel weaves for all. Problem solved fellas. Its not the Randland we all grew to love (or to hate in some cases).

A world similar to the one in which THIS battle is happening, but with a few differences. ONE: Effect of Dumai's Wells. Easy back door. If Galina had not be sent to capture Rand, the taint would still be cleaned, and the tower rebellion would have taken longer. So, how does one get the tower united after and around Dumai's Wells? Cause and effect of sorts. You'll still have your Asha'man, you still have your legion of the Dragon. Sure Mat would gallivant around a while (mercenary army?). But imagine if some one had found the Keeper to be... well, if proper suspicion and power were leveraged right and the right time. Well, Egwene as Amyrilin IN the tower? All you need to is have a famous battle marker at the site of the Wells.

So on to my next stream of thought.

Characters: If the engine flexibility will allow, and game source is flexible enough, I think you have a great opportunity with some aspects of character attribute. Notably characters with the one power. I thought some about passive powers, and realized that the RTW has the answer. Make Talents a Virtue of Personality. non transferable. Healing talent, obviously gives some power there, keep the general and portions of the army alive after battle. Travelling? I read some team thoughts on movement and realized just HOW powerful this ability is. I'm assuming over 8 phases a year atm, (why? Life spans. That’s why. You essentially have 5 years to get everything done before Tarmon Gaidon. And I know from reading our beloved series it takes les than a year for the Borderlanders to reach andor. Hell, with travelling, what is Movement?). With Travelling characters, all they need do is have been there. Instant move. Two Travels a turn if they have been there. Skimming is the other issue. What if you haven’t been to the location? You must skim. So we have another easy out. if you haven’t been there, one "Jump". However, we know from reading that the Talents are rather random. And I have an idea to compensate.

Kinds of Character: Passive and Active. I imagine characters, especially Asha'man and Aes Sedai as passive or Active. Passive and they are Greys and Whites. They negotiate, they spy. They think. Active are Greens and Asha'man. They fight, they die. What of the rest? Random.

Power among Aes Sedai is a hell of an issue, and so, their recruitment options vary by your influence. at level 9 you could recruit Cadsuane herself. The higher your influence when they were recruited, the more options they will have. Every level will bring one talent, Eye and Ear, Warder or other option. Stilling and Warding are "screw all" abilities. Warding is a battle field Talent that makes it more difficult for ranged weapons to work. Stilling allows for the attempt to "assassinate" a channeler by taking out their powers.

There are a lot of Aes Sedai, and most have their own agenda. By recruiting an Aes Sedai, your bending her to your influence, or attracting her agenda by yours. I feel that all factions except Seanchan and Altarans should have the opportunity to recruit Aes Sedai by influence. The cost goes down by level of (a) influence and (b) Acumen, while options increase by level of influence. Number of recruitable Aes Sedai will be (AB)/5 to a minimum of one (rounds up if the Acumen is higher than half of influence, and rounds down if ess.). So, if your influence is high, at a 7, and your acumen low, at 3, you would have 4 Aes Sedai advisers at your potential disposal (because of the lower acumen. 4 Ac would have granted 6!).

Now, the Influence of your Aes Sedai would also be impacted with this idea. You may have a chance to recruit more than your attributes would normally allow. For Every 4 influence, an Aes Sedai may allow you to recruit one more of her Ajah only. to get more Aes Sedai, follow the above rule. Lets follow an example below. The Assumption is you have enough currency to buy al said "AS". Noting any of this is unimportant. The Recruitment screen could allow the player to know what his options are.

So, say your Faction Leader is Mattin Stepanos. Your influence will be moderate (let us say 6), but your acumen low (he’s a great commander, its the nobles who keep the estates in check, so lets say 3). So you will attract Aes Sedai. This is where the random comes in. Will the Aes Sedai be Green? Will she be Red? What about Yellow? You have enough influence to attract "level" 6 Sisters. Your options are 5 Sisters (distance from capitol and tar valon assumingly).

Level 2 Green, her Talent is Travelling and a Talent for Weather (I'll assume since she’s a green she has to have one combat Talent, so its lighting). [i]Active[i]
Level 6 Green, with a Talent for Warding, a Talent for Fireballs, A Talent for Foretelling, 2 Warders. Active.
Level 4 Red Sister: One Hidden Ability (we'll assume a warder, she is red after all, not something she'll openly brag about!), a Talent for Stilling, and a Talent for Warding, an Eye-and-ear in Tar Valon. [i]Both Active and Passive[i]
Level 5 Yellow Sister: Talent for Healing, Greater Talent for Healing, Warder, Influence among Blues (allows her to attract a Blue as well as a yellow to you), Eyes-and-Ears in Tear [i]Passive[i].
level 6 Blue: Talent for Stilling, Talent for Healing, Warder, Eyes and Ears in Baerlon, Eyes and ears in Fal Dara, Eyes and Ears in Mayene.[i]Passive[i]

So you get to chose 3 Sisters. Travelling is a great ability, but she has few other useful skills. Being a Sister the enemy needs to close first, or so I assume from the Oaths. So, to make her useful, she'll need to be protected. The Blue has the best options, but she is only useful as a spy or a healer... and her use as a spy is limited by Illians distance from her affected sights. The yellow is a steal. She can spy on the main city of Illians most frequent foe, and she can heal a greater portion of her leaders army. With a warder, she is much harder to assassinate. The level 6 Green is also a good buy, with her foretelling, she can "increase" the general's acumen (by a key warning or a goal, plus more Sisters), and she has two warders, making her a bigger menace in combat.

Asha’man: Asha'man would work on similar grounds as Aes Sedai, but recruiting them, that’s the hard part. Asha'man don’t have mixed agenda's. Asha'man follow two men: Taim and the Dragon Reborn. So, how does one acquire Asha'man? Influence with either or both. An open Declaration for the Dragon Reborn is essentially surrendering all claim to conquest... So you have a complication.

Easy fix... add a simple game mechanic. Declaring for the Dragon Reborn. Send an emissary (even an Aes Sedai, as some, such as Greys, would come with the skill). Once allied to the dragon you have the resources of what you started with, as well as access to the Asha'man and the Legion of the Dragon, but all conquests made by you go to the original holders hands if they are (or were allied when wiped out). If the last holder was an enemy, the nearest neighbour... so if they are enemy and your neighbour, your turf. You would of course get "Tribute" from the Dragon's allies in such situations. You did take the turf after all.

So, Small sacrifice for the kind of power Asha'man bring. What will they do? Depending on level, they may have Aes Sedai Warders, thus increasing their powers, and depending on level and title, gain "underlings". So, from the same menu as Aes Sedai you can choose Asha'man units. Asha'man are weapons, and as such, their skills and attributes should reflect this. I imagine a few kinds of asha'man units. The capabilities and talents of the squad should be interchangeable. So, if the leader of the unit is an asha'man with a mount, the whole squad will be mounted. If one member is a healer, the squad heals. So a high level Asha'man will have more men under him. Dedicated can be merged into Asha'man Squads, but otherwise, Dedicated and soldiers act like artillery... alone. some of course have extra abilities. 2 combat, and as much as 4 extra.

Mounted Asha'man: Mounted Asha'man would have a narrower range of effect, and be more mobile and dangerous.
Foot Asha'man: Foot Asha'man squads would have a longer range and sacrifice staying power with hitting power.
Dedicated
Soldier

Example Unit: Mounted Asha'man to start with. He has 4 members in the squadron. One Healer in the squad. Remember, random. You recruit 4 Dedicated. One has the bonus ability of Travelling, one has the bonus of Healing, and one has the bonus Foretelling. all of them are shuffled into the Asha’man unit and so they become an 8 man unit that travels onto the battlefield and wields enormous power.

[b]"Mundane" Characters[b]: One thing I desperately want to see... Rank! Real, bonified rank, and the effect of rank! But how on earth does one achieve this? Well lets look at Rank in regular Rome: Total War. 0 to 9 stars. Buts that’s kind of frivolous isn’t it? I have another idea. Banners. No, not the symbol, the formation.

For Every 200 men you get a Lieutenant (max of 2 stars); every 500 men you get a Captain(max of 4); every 1000 you get a Banner General(max of 6), for every 2000 a Lieutenant General (max of 7), and every 5,000 a Captain-General (max of 9), one must start at the rank Marshal General (max of 9). so, instead of having stars change only by experience, make promotion an option.

Say Amadicia has 4 armies of over 1000 each, and 2 at 500. that 5000 men. By default one commander should be titled Lord Captain-Commander. Then instead of the title being Lieutenant, you get 25 Under Lieutenants, then follows 10 Lieutenants, Then 5 Lord Captains, and 1 Lord Commander (Fictitious) plus the Captain Commander Pedron Niall (we assume). So, by granting Title, we would be raising the ranks of the leader. More men, more need for officers. To further this idea, only generals who are family may become sovereign if the faction leader dies, though I think it would be cool to include some advisor family in the factions. Thus, have one member as Aes Sedai, a few as diplomats, one as Governor (stuck in the town), and 3 as generals. A tad bit more realistic and [b]WoT[b]ish than the RTW system.

Hope ya'll like my ideas.

Barid
10-29-2005, 01:16
boy is there a way to edit? I'd love to edit that post... make it more readable. perhaps add / where neccisary.

Lord Winter
10-29-2005, 01:20
When you are upgraded to a member you can edit.

Note: a yellow sister being able to recruite a blue?
Yellow and Blue are not excactly friends in the books if you recall.

Andreas
10-29-2005, 18:45
I do not have the time to read it all now, but comments on what i did read:
We cannot have traits controlling what they do on field, not what they recruit either. Traveling will be very limited, since it will be VERY good. We ahve a character system in the making, with starting characters and so on, and an aes sedai system with different ajahs.

I probably will comment it all tomorrow.

Edit: I spell checked it, you could have written it in word? Or used the spell check of the forum... sorry, no need to be harsh:) I had nothing to do anyway.

Myrddraal
10-30-2005, 02:13
looks like you've put a lot of work into that,

We'll be using some of it anyway, and we'll see what we can make of the rest. Keep the ideas comming :2thumbsup:

Andreas
10-30-2005, 18:46
Despite being a writer (after a fashion), I rely to heavily on spell check. Oh well. Please excuse any bad punctuation, spelling and grammar... because, well, I'm writing in haste. I know what I've been thinking for a few weeks, It’s the articulation.

You know, there is a spelling plug-in on this forum… and you could write it in word before you post it?(;))

But first, I have read some small debate about time period, placement and what not. Well, I think Mr. Jordan did provide a way out. The portal stones. Remember the two (possibly three) constants? If the dark one is released in one, he's out in all, and what ever happens to the one power happens in all. and Balefire. The thread is gone. The wheel weaves for all. Problem solved fellas. Its not the Randland we all grew to love (or to hate in some cases).

Three constants? There is hundreds, thousands, one fore everything that could have happened differently, personal for each person…

A world similar to the one in which THIS battle is happening, but with a few differences. ONE: Effect of Dumai's Wells. Easy back door. If Galina had not be sent to capture Rand, the taint would still be cleaned, and the tower rebellion would have taken longer. So, how does one get the tower united after and around Dumai's Wells? Cause and effect of sorts. You'll still have your Asha'man, you still have your legion of the Dragon. Sure Mat would gallivant around a while (mercenary army?). But imagine if some one had found the Keeper to be... well, if proper suspicion and power were leveraged right and the right time. Well, Egwene as Amyrilin IN the tower? All you need to is have a famous battle marker at the site of the Wells.

What are you talking about? This game will start before the DW anyway, but as veteran WoT debater, I can’t read this with saying… what? The plan of cleaning the taint formed in Rands head long before the Wells, and what did Galina have to do with it? If you mean providing Aes Sedai for Rand, well that would have been done anyway. Rand is Ta’veren, he gets what he needs. And why does it make it harder for the tower to unite? The battle between Aes Sedai from both sides? They were to far anyway to be united without arms men, Dumais Wells hardly changed that rather brought them together.

So on to my next stream of thought.

ok

Characters: If the engine flexibility will allow, and game source is flexible enough, I think you have a great opportunity with some aspects of character attribute. Notably characters with the one power. I thought some about passive powers, and realized that the RTW has the answer. Make Talents a Virtue of Personality. non transferable. Healing talent, obviously gives some power there, keep the general and portions of the army alive after battle. Travelling? I read some team thoughts on movement and realized just HOW powerful this ability is. I'm assuming over 8 phases a year atm, (why? Life spans. That’s why. You essentially have 5 years to get everything done before Tarmon Gaidon. And I know from reading our beloved series it takes les than a year for the Borderlanders to reach andor. Hell, with travelling, what is Movement?). With Travelling characters, all they need do is have been there. Instant move. Two Travels a turn if they have been there. Skimming is the other issue. What if you haven’t been to the location? You must skim. So we have another easy out. if you haven’t been there, one "Jump". However, we know from reading that the Talents are rather random. And I have an idea to compensate.

Firstly: A person do not have to have been at a location to travel there, s/he need to know the location he travels from. And to have the travelling mean that your movement points are enough to travel the length of the continent twice times? No, that wouldn’t be good. If we would make it completely along the lines of the books, we would have to make that number mean you could travel the continent a infinite number of times, and we cannot do that for the balancing. As we see it now, travelling will mean half the continent, which already is a lot, and skimming 25% of it. We must make the game balanced; we cannot make everything according to the books, how much I wish we could. And travelling isn’t a Talent, that is a thing tied to strength. Healing we will have, though.

Kinds of Character: Passive and Active. I imagine characters, especially Asha'man and Aes Sedai as passive or Active. Passive and they are Greys and Whites. They negotiate, they spy. They think. Active are Greens and Asha'man. They fight, they die. What of the rest? Random.

Whites will be really rare, considering they seldom leave the tower. Most grey you see will be the tower diplomats. Blues will be spies, as well as leaders. Other Aes Sedai will be generals. Randomly, but with slightly different skills. Asha’man will be soldiers.

Power among Aes Sedai is a hell of an issue, and so, their recruitment options vary by your influence. at level 9 you could recruit Cadsuane herself. The higher your influence when they were recruited, the more options they will have. Every level will bring one talent, Eye and Ear, Warder or other option. Stilling and Warding are "screw all" abilities. Warding is a battle field Talent that makes it more difficult for ranged weapons to work. Stilling allows for the attempt to "assassinate" a channeler by taking out their powers.

Unfortunately, we cannot tie recruiting to influence, and we cannot have “Hero units”. Cadsuane will be a retainer of some one. And the units you recruit cannot have abilities like that, only generals can have traits and ancillaries.

There are a lot of Aes Sedai, and most have their own agenda. By recruiting an Aes Sedai, your bending her to your influence, or attracting her agenda by yours. I feel that all factions except Seanchan and Altarans should have the opportunity to recruit Aes Sedai by influence. The cost goes down by level of (a) influence and (b) Acumen, while options increase by level of influence. Number of recruitable Aes Sedai will be (AB)/5 to a minimum of one (rounds up if the Acumen is higher than half of influence, and rounds down if ess.). So, if your influence is high, at a 7, and your acumen low, at 3, you would have 4 Aes Sedai advisers at your potential disposal (because of the lower acumen. 4 Ac would have granted 6!).

You will not be able to recruit an Aes Sedai, you must recruit at least 6. And only Tar Valon will be able to recruit them… why not Altarans by the way? As for the other things, see above reply.

Now, the Influence of your Aes Sedai would also be impacted with this idea. You may have a chance to recruit more than your attributes would normally allow. For Every 4 influence, an Aes Sedai may allow you to recruit one more of her Ajah only. to get more Aes Sedai, follow the above rule. Lets follow an example below. The Assumption is you have enough currency to buy al said "AS". Noting any of this is unimportant. The Recruitment screen could allow the player to know what his options are.

So, say your Faction Leader is Mattin Stepanos. Your influence will be moderate (let us say 6), but your acumen low (he’s a great commander, its the nobles who keep the estates in check, so lets say 3). So you will attract Aes Sedai. This is where the random comes in. Will the Aes Sedai be Green? Will she be Red? What about Yellow? You have enough influence to attract "level" 6 Sisters. Your options are 5 Sisters (distance from capitol and tar valon assumingly).

Level 2 Green, her Talent is Travelling and a Talent for Weather (I'll assume since she’s a green she has to have one combat Talent, so its lighting). Active
Level 6 Green, with a Talent for Warding, a Talent for Fireballs, A Talent for Foretelling, 2 Warders. Active.
Level 4 Red Sister: One Hidden Ability (we'll assume a warder, she is red after all, not something she'll openly brag about!), a Talent for Stilling, and a Talent for Warding, an Eye-and-ear in Tar Valon. Both Active and Passive
Level 5 Yellow Sister: Talent for Healing, Greater Talent for Healing, Warder, Influence among Blues (allows her to attract a Blue as well as a yellow to you), Eyes-and-Ears in Tear Passive.
level 6 Blue: Talent for Stilling, Talent for Healing, Warder, Eyes and Ears in Baerlon, Eyes and ears in Fal Dara, Eyes and Ears in Mayene.Passive

Again, we cannot do this. You will get Aes Sedai advisors, depending on your influence yes, but they will not fight, and they cannot have abilities beyond the common ones. Game code restrictions. And traits cannot affect the battlefield abilities. And as said above, Blues and Yellows do not mix well anyway. And not all blues can heal, and above all… Eyes and ears in Baerlon (which we cannot do anyway) would be useless, since it’s a real flyspeck place.

So you get to chose 3 Sisters. Travelling is a great ability, but she has few other useful skills. Being a Sister the enemy needs to close first, or so I assume from the Oaths. So, to make her useful, she'll need to be protected. The Blue has the best options, but she is only useful as a spy or a healer... and her use as a spy is limited by Illians distance from her affected sights. The yellow is a steal. She can spy on the main city of Illians most frequent foe, and she can heal a greater portion of her leaders army. With a warder, she is much harder to assassinate. The level 6 Green is also a good buy, with her foretelling, she can "increase" the general's acumen (by a key warning or a goal, plus more Sisters), and she has two warders, making her a bigger menace in combat.

…And you cannot choose your ancillaries, you get them. And they cannot appear in combat.

Asha’man: Asha'man would work on similar grounds as Aes Sedai, but recruiting them, that’s the hard part. Asha'man don’t have mixed agenda's. Asha'man follow two men: Taim and the Dragon Reborn. So, how does one acquire Asha'man? Influence with either or both. An open Declaration for the Dragon Reborn is essentially surrendering all claim to conquest... So you have a complication.

Only the People of the Dragon will be able to recruit ahsa’mans.

Easy fix... add a simple game mechanic. Declaring for the Dragon Reborn. Send an emissary (even an Aes Sedai, as some, such as Greys, would come with the skill). Once allied to the dragon you have the resources of what you started with, as well as access to the Asha'man and the Legion of the Dragon, but all conquests made by you go to the original holders hands if they are (or were allied when wiped out). If the last holder was an enemy, the nearest neighbour... so if they are enemy and your neighbour, your turf. You would of course get "Tribute" from the Dragon's allies in such situations. You did take the turf after all.

And as said above, Aes Sedai will be for Tar Valon only, and we cannot (unfortunately) add game mechanics, and alliances cannot affect recruiting.

So, Small sacrifice for the kind of power Asha'man bring. What will they do? Depending on level, they may have Aes Sedai Warders, thus increasing their powers, and depending on level and title, gain "underlings". So, from the same menu as Aes Sedai you can choose Asha'man units. Asha'man are weapons, and as such, their skills and attributes should reflect this. I imagine a few kinds of asha'man units. The capabilities and talents of the squad should be interchangeable. So, if the leader of the unit is an asha'man with a mount, the whole squad will be mounted. If one member is a healer, the squad heals. So a high level Asha'man will have more men under him. Dedicated can be merged into Asha'man Squads, but otherwise, Dedicated and soldiers act like artillery... alone. some of course have extra abilities. 2 combat, and as much as 4 extra.

Mounted Asha'man: Mounted Asha'man would have a narrower range of effect, and be more mobile and dangerous.
Foot Asha'man: Foot Asha'man squads would have a longer range and sacrifice staying power with hitting power.
Dedicated
Soldier

Example Unit: Mounted Asha'man to start with. He has 4 members in the squadron. One Healer in the squad. Remember, random. You recruit 4 Dedicated. One has the bonus ability of Travelling, one has the bonus of Healing, and one has the bonus Foretelling. all of them are shuffled into the Asha’man unit and so they become an 8 man unit that travels onto the battlefield and wields enormous power.

Inline with some of our ideas… at least the middle part, since the first and last part as you know by now cannot be done. Sorry. And we cannot merge different units, only those of the same type… and at least 6 soldiers in each fighting unit. And you must recruit them, and recruitment can’t be affected by the character.

"Mundane" Characters[b]: One thing I desperately want to see... Rank! Real, bonified rank, and the effect of rank! But how on earth does one achieve this? Well lets look at Rank in regular Rome: Total War. 0 to 9 stars. Buts that’s kind of frivolous isn’t it? I have another idea. Banners. No, not the symbol, the formation.

For Every 200 men you get a Lieutenant (max of 2 stars); every 500 men you get a Captain(max of 4); every 1000 you get a Banner General(max of 6), for every 2000 a Lieutenant General (max of 7), and every 5,000 a Captain-General (max of 9), one must start at the rank Marshal General (max of 9). so, instead of having stars change only by experience, make promotion an option.

Say Amadicia has 4 armies of over 1000 each, and 2 at 500. that 5000 men. By default one commander should be titled Lord Captain-Commander. Then instead of the title being Lieutenant, you get 25 Under Lieutenants, then follows 10 Lieutenants, Then 5 Lord Captains, and 1 Lord Commander (Fictitious) plus the Captain Commander Pedron Niall (we assume). So, by granting Title, we would be raising the ranks of the leader. More men, more need for officers. To further this idea, only generals who are family may become sovereign if the faction leader dies, though I think it would be cool to include some advisor family in the factions. Thus, have one member as Aes Sedai, a few as diplomats, one as Governor (stuck in the town), and 3 as generals. A tad bit more realistic and [b]WoTish than the RTW system.

We cannot do that, restricted by game engine. Again, sorry… I might develop something with inspiration from that idea.

Hope ya'll like my ideas.

I did. Really, I might seem harsh in my responds, but really your ideas are really good, but since we cannot change anything any the game mechanics, we cannot do it. You do not be ashamed, it is pretty common here, I’ve seen it before, most notably SMZ’s traits and retainers, which I had to scale down something awful, to make it doable. But I can give you a small reward for your work with this… some info of how we will handle the Aes Sedai and Asha’man (and wise ones, Dreadlords and damane, kinda):
Most importantly, channeling units will only be available in the era about Rand, and then only recruitable by five factions: Rebel Tower (Aes Sedai of different Ajah), True Tower (Aes Sedai of different Ajah), People of the Dragon (Asha’man and Wise Ones), Shadow (Dreadlords) and Seanchan (damane). They, excluding one type of damane, will only be trainable in the major channelling regions (Tar Valon, the Black Tower, Shayol Ghul, Rhuidean and Cachin). There will be different types of each, except Wise Ones, and it might be rank, where they are trained or other factors that will determine what they can do. Weapons will include shafts of fire, earthfire, fireballs, lightning, air and maybe more. The different types of channeler will be better at something (an Wise Ones fireballs are spun faster then those of an Aes Sedai, but she might be better at lightning’s).

And there will be another type of Aes Sedai, the untrainable faction member type that Tar Valon will have as Family Members. These will have Talents, warders and Ajah belonging affecting what they do, but unfortunately not what they do on battle map. Probably, for the early era there warders will be the general, since at that point no Aes Sedai would take part in a battle. As I said before, the agents will also be Aes Sedai.

I hope you understand that what might seem as frustration towards you, is more frustration over the fact of all the things we cannot do. Keep these things coming anyway, it gives ideas even fi your original thoughts weren’t doable, and it is inspiring to see that someone can get so excited about what you do that they write 4 (FOUR!) pages of text with ideas, even if the text is somewhat misspelled and have some flaws regarding the links to the books.

Oh, and I guess you know you write to much stuff with connection to WOT when your grammar correction reacts on Shayul Ghul, ruhedain and so on….:)

See you all around, WBR Andreas.

Barid
10-31-2005, 00:48
~:cheers:
You know, there is a spelling plug-in on this forum… and you could write it in word before you post it?(;))

Three constants? There is hundreds, thousands, one fore everything that could have happened differently, personal for each person…

Portal Stones dude. Remember The Great Hunt? The place Lanfear took Rand? The alternate worlds? only 3 rules united them: If the Dark one is freed in any of them, he is free in them all. What affects the Wheel affects all universes, so any effect on the one power effects them all. And balefire (back to an effect on the wheel). if Samael get Baled in one, he’s Baled in them all. Your project your rules, so my input on that topic ends there.

What are you talking about? This game will start before the DW anyway, but as veteran WoT debater, I can’t read this with saying… what? The plan of cleaning the taint formed in Rands head long before the Wells, and what did Galina have to do with it? If you mean providing Aes Sedai for Rand, well that would have been done anyway. Rand is Ta’veren, he gets what he needs. And why does it make it harder for the tower to unite? The battle between Aes Sedai from both sides? They were to far anyway to be united without arms men, Dumais Wells hardly changed that rather brought them together.

Isn't that what I said?

ONE: Effect of Dumai's Wells. Easy back door. If Galina had not be sent to capture Rand, the taint would still be cleaned, and the tower rebellion would have taken longer.[quote]

The failed expedition to capture rand put Semerhage and Greandal on the spot. Semirhage was left having to rely on Sammael and Demondred to distract "ol' Therin" while Greandals effect insid the tower. Meanwhile ol' Belal reborn is having issue getting to Egwene. Without the Wells Fiasco the Forsakens’ motivations would have been efected. With Egwene sick and weakened by the "Treatments" Aran'gar provides, she would have taken more time pursuing he ends, instead of rushing with what time she has.

[QUOTE]
Firstly: A person do not have to have been at a location to travel there, s/he need to know the location he travels from. And to have the traveling mean that your movement points are enough to travel the length of the continent twice times? No, that wouldn’t be good. If we would make it completely along the lines of the books, we would have to make that number mean you could travel the continent a infinite number of times, and we cannot do that for the balancing. As we see it now, traveling will mean half the continent, which already is a lot, and skimming 25% of it. We must make the game balanced; we cannot make everything according to the books, how much I wish we could. And traveling isn’t a Talent, that is a thing tied to strength. Healing we will have, though.

Traveling is a Talent. Both Strength and "talent" effect the size of portals. Reread fires of heaven while Lanfear and Asmodean explain Travelin'. Also, I remember whats her name who sold out the someone told miss Red Boss (to give away no spoilers,) that she had little ability for traveling, while having strong one power STRENGTH.

And in order to travel... make the instant gateway... you need to be able to visualize the location in your mind. the better you know the terrain, the more likely you are to actually arrive at it at the proper spacing and height. When you don’t KNOW where you traveling, you need to skim.

Whites will be really rare, considering they seldom leave the tower. Most grey you see will be the tower diplomats. Blues will be spies, as well as leaders. Other Aes Sedai will be generals. Randomly, but with slightly different skills. Asha’man will be soldiers.

Unfortunately, we cannot tie recruiting to influence, and we cannot have “Hero units”. Cadsuane will be a retainer of some one. And the units you recruit cannot have abilities like that, only generals can have traits and ancillaries.

You will not be able to recruit an Aes Sedai, you must recruit at least 6. And only Tar Valon will be able to recruit them… why not Altarans by the way? As for the other things, see above reply.

Again, we cannot do this. You will get Aes Sedai advisors, depending on your influence yes, but they will not fight, and they cannot have abilities beyond the common ones. Game code restrictions. And traits cannot affect the battlefield abilities. And as said above, Blues and Yellows do not mix well anyway. And not all blues can heal, and above all… Eyes and ears in Baerlon (which we cannot do anyway) would be useless, since it’s a real flyspeck place.

Yeah, the idea was to have some be useful, and some e less than useful. The above idea was more of example. Sometimes you'de get a great offer, and sometimes you wouldn’t. As for why not altara.. good question, I think I meant to say Amadecia (in fact, I know I meant to say Amadecia... white cloaks... Sisters? Get along?)

Actually, if the game mechanic allows for display of Hier anf Faction hier, and allows for titles as such in the Traits and Retinues area, then It should in theory be possible to implement a more realistic rank structure. Restrict generals to no more than X stars base. After X number of victories, plant the title in the Traits section, and display the title in the character name section. Such as Elcibieates to Cunning could be "stretched" To Captain Feder. Well, that is under the assuption you can limit the max number of ranks attainable without title, and be able to change the ranks after title (I can easily imagine that conflict!).

Granted, its an Idea I REALLY would like to see implemented but I haven’t actually looked at the options the open code allows, I haven’t much of an idea about how long it would take to implement such code, but if your willing to put it in, I'm willing to write all the ranks descriptions for each nation and faction. Which in my eyes is a quarter the battle there.

As to what I write, well, I'm a Comic Book writer. I don’t do my own art, and so far, my lack of steady artists has made even small scale publishing... difficult. In order to "script" a panel I need to know in my mind the precise angle and expression ont he characters face, such as minor details to emphasize or exaggerate certain "subtleties". Also, since its a Sci-fi universe of my own invent, I had to pull a Herbert and invent a universe for it to work in. That and I have managed to get in a war of words with 2 "Big Comic" editors. Implied Demographic. Dont get me started, to off topic.

anyway. You need descriptions written I'm willing to help. Give me want you want, and I can give you a sample. You like my touch, and like my pace I can get to conquoring randland sooner, and you can get our project done quicker.

Andreas
10-31-2005, 18:36
~:cheers:

Portal Stones dude. Remember The Great Hunt? The place Lanfear took Rand? The alternate worlds? only 3 rules united them: If the Dark one is freed in any of them, he is free in them all. What affects the Wheel affects all universes, so any effect on the one power effects them all. And balefire (back to an effect on the wheel). if Samael get Baled in one, he’s Baled in them all. Your project your rules, so my input on that topic ends there.

I know of that, I just misread your input... I thougth you meant three world, sorry bout that. And I know what portal stones is~:rolleyes:

Isn't that what I said?

ONE: Effect of Dumai's Wells. Easy back door. If Galina had not be sent to capture Rand, the taint would still be cleaned, and the tower rebellion would have taken longer.

The failed expedition to capture rand put Semerhage and Greandal on the spot. Semirhage was left having to rely on Sammael and Demondred to distract "ol' Therin" while Greandals effect insid the tower. Meanwhile ol' Belal reborn is having issue getting to Egwene. Without the Wells Fiasco the Forsakens’ motivations would have been efected. With Egwene sick and weakened by the "Treatments" Aran'gar provides, she would have taken more time pursuing he ends, instead of rushing with what time she has.

The taint would still be cleaned? I had some troubles interprent that... Granedal has nothing to do with the tower, by the way... mesaana? And Smeirhage wasn't involved there. But still, I do not get your point... Might because my day, though.

Traveling is a Talent. Both Strength and "talent" effect the size of portals. Reread fires of heaven while Lanfear and Asmodean explain Travelin'. Also, I remember whats her name who sold out the someone told miss Red Boss (to give away no spoilers,) that she had little ability for traveling, while having strong one power STRENGTH.

And in order to travel... make the instant gateway... you need to be able to visualize the location in your mind. the better you know the terrain, the more likely you are to actually arrive at it at the proper spacing and height. When you don’t KNOW where you traveling, you need to skim.

Ah, you know thats not really it... Travelling is not a Talent, but you can be talanted at it. With a Talent, only a person hanving the Talent can do it wothout helo (dreaming, for example). on the other hand, you can eb talaneted at doing something. Some are stronger in one of the power, some are good at shields, some mgiht be better at travelling. If you have the required strength, you can weave one, but how it appears is not based on the strangth.

And no, you don't need to do that. You must know the location you start from, but you don't ahve to be able to vizualise the spot (for example, Elayne making a gateway outside Ebou Dar, Avi weaving one to the hills outside Ebou Dar). If you know the place, you will be able to place it exact, but that's a matter of meters. If you know where you ant to go, you can go there. Skimming can be done without knowing the loaction you travel FROM. (Eggy taking Lan to Ebou Dar.)

Yeah, the idea was to have some be useful, and some e less than useful. The above idea was more of example. Sometimes you'de get a great offer, and sometimes you wouldn’t. As for why not altara.. good question, I think I meant to say Amadecia (in fact, I know I meant to say Amadecia... white cloaks... Sisters? Get along?)

That was what I thougth...

Actually, if the game mechanic allows for display of Hier anf Faction hier, and allows for titles as such in the Traits and Retinues area, then It should in theory be possible to implement a more realistic rank structure. Restrict generals to no more than X stars base. After X number of victories, plant the title in the Traits section, and display the title in the character name section. Such as Elcibieates to Cunning could be "stretched" To Captain Feder. Well, that is under the assuption you can limit the max number of ranks attainable without title, and be able to change the ranks after title (I can easily imagine that conflict!).

Traints can not affect what is written in the character section. The leader and heir has there own labels, that is why you see it. The cunning and that is random. I will construct ranks after your ideas, but I'll have to scale it down for it to be able to do.

Granted, its an Idea I REALLY would like to see implemented but I haven’t actually looked at the options the open code allows, I haven’t much of an idea about how long it would take to implement such code, but if your willing to put it in, I'm willing to write all the ranks descriptions for each nation and faction. Which in my eyes is a quarter the battle there.

As I said, I'll see what i can do. Maybe the BI system with assignments can give me a clue.

As to what I write, well, I'm a Comic Book writer. I don’t do my own art, and so far, my lack of steady artists has made even small scale publishing... difficult. In order to "script" a panel I need to know in my mind the precise angle and expression ont he characters face, such as minor details to emphasize or exaggerate certain "subtleties". Also, since its a Sci-fi universe of my own invent, I had to pull a Herbert and invent a universe for it to work in. That and I have managed to get in a war of words with 2 "Big Comic" editors. Implied Demographic. Dont get me started, to off topic.

anyway. You need descriptions written I'm willing to help. Give me want you want, and I can give you a sample. You like my touch, and like my pace I can get to conquoring randland sooner, and you can get our project done quicker.
We have one writer already, so your work cannot differ to much from his... I'll try to think up some text for you to write, and pass it along to SMZ and Myrddraal.

Myrddraal
11-01-2005, 02:09
Some of these are good ideas Barid, though as Andreas said, some of them are not possible.

What about ancilliaries for titles. As they are transferable between characters, it might be an idea to have a title be an ancilliary...

Andreas
11-01-2005, 19:25
As in BI, yes... I have to look at that someday when I have time... I have an idea about the ranks.

Barid
11-01-2005, 23:57
While playing with an SAE screw and a metric nut... while listining to my coworker prattle about cleanlyness, I had a glimmer of inspiration, A QUESTION! How mutable is the game mechanic in regards to limiting and generating title and traits?

Andreas
11-02-2005, 20:35
we can limit and generate traits as much as we want, the titles are just generic... Unless you mean ancillary titles, they work as traits.

Lord Winter
11-17-2005, 06:33
Only click if you have read KoD
Semirhage was in the east with the sechaen. at the time and nothing to do rand. Messana was inside the tower while grendeal is somewere in arad doman last time we heard

The four you are thinking of i think are lanfear, grendeal sammaulal and rahvin. Samual was going to draw rand to him and the 4 of them would link and overwhelm him. The D.O. never actulctly issued a direct order for rand to be captured or killed even thou it would have probely set them all above the other forsaken. This was just ploting between the forsaken and before D.W.