PDA

View Full Version : HGT-Converter release

alpaca
10-05-2005, 15:01
Ok, this is the first version of my HGT-Converter.
It takes .tga image files and converts them to .hgt files and vice-versa.

You will need a JRE 1.50 or higher to use it, which can be found here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

This is the release file, you'll find more detailed info inside:
http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Rtw_Uploads/RTWupload/HGT_Converter.zip

Oh, and please post what you think about the height-calculation. I'd like to know if my formula is ok.

A screen:
https://img267.imageshack.us/img267/4581/crimealakescreen0va.jpg

Monkwarrior
10-05-2005, 15:37
Is there any method to test the map other than including it in BI? Can it be tested in RTW 1.2?

I've just downloaded the tool and generated a map_heights.hgt. From a tga of 453 KB I've obtained a hgt of 392 KB. Does it seem correct?

Anyway, if this tool works properly, I will propose to the TotalWar modders community to build a shrine in your honour. ~:cheers:

alpaca
10-05-2005, 15:48
Hmm this seems to be too small.
The hgt uses 32 bpp so it should be a third larger than the tga.
Can you upload the image and send me a link so I can do some tests with it?

And I don't know if it can be used in 1.2 because I don't have that version anymore ;)

Myrddraal
10-05-2005, 15:56
This is good news, very good :smile:

For the time being this should be in Mod Discussion

When you've smoothed out the problems I'll shift it to the Scriptorium so that it doesn't get lost in the abyss of page 2

Centurion Cato
10-05-2005, 18:52
Ok here are my results using this tool.

https://img380.imageshack.us/img380/5373/mm1dl.jpg

My .hgt file is twice as big as the tga file, is that right?

Anyway i'll continue with my map, thanks! :)

blindfaithnogod
10-05-2005, 22:39
great job! i tried it, the heights seem good to me. thanks!

edit: heres a look to prove it works
https://img260.imageshack.us/img260/714/map3gt.th.jpg (https://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=map3gt.jpg)

alpaca
10-05-2005, 23:51
Ok here are my results using this tool.

My .hgt file is twice as big as the tga file, is that right?

Anyway i'll continue with my map, thanks! :)

Hum it's a little strange, but if you fully checked the map and it's all right...

In fact, the R:TW tga uses 24 bpp while the height-information is stored in 32-bit numerical values, so theoretically speaking the hgt file should be 4/3 the size of the tga file.
And my program reads every pixel for itself and then instantly writes the height info into the file (I'm not running another algorithm on the data later) so it shouldn't be able to produce any other information.
Unfortunately I forgot to include a check that the image has to be 24 bpp, so the program accepts pretty much anything, but it will most probably convert most of the map to water if the image file isn't supplied as 24-bit.
If you don't mind, I'd like to be sent your image file, by PM or maybe by email. Or you can upload it somewhere and just post a link.
If you want to send it by email, just drop me a PM and I'll send you my adress.

Oh, and as a little note about the heights:
I think I already stated in the that I am using a mathematical formula to calculate the height-information, and this is it. CA seems to have used some algorithm after calculating heights from the image file that evened out the whole thing somewhat.
I made the formula with some testing, until it delivered satisfying results. If anyone's interested in it, here goes:
21.17x - 0.05 * (x - 120)^2 + 1.0313^x + 720 = y (x is the blue-value, y is the height; this formula is only applied to tiles where all three color-values are the same, everything else is water)
This is a little complex for non-mathematicians but basically it boosts the medium ranges a little and then steepens mountains, which is why the greek mountains you see below (taken from Imperium: TW which Atheist Peace got to work in BI now) look really spiffy, and also ensures that total black (0 0 0) is represented as a height of 1.
https://img335.imageshack.us/img335/2507/bimapworking13zq.jpg

Monkwarrior
10-06-2005, 08:37
@alpaca
You were right about the size (my mistake).
From a tga of 453 KB the hgt was 603 KB (exactly 4/3).
I will check it in BI when I "translate" all the other text files to the "new language".

Thanks a lot.~:cheers:

Oaty
12-06-2005, 23:52
I get a lot of CTD's when using this tool. I'm thinking it's my TGA editor not saving in the proper format but want to make sure.

To use this tool properly all I need to do is put the script in the same folder with map_heights.tga, double click on the script and I should have a workable map_heights.hgt right. If not what are the exact steps I need to take?

I've used both the gimp and avg graphic studio 6.5 I made sure it was in 24 bit.

What graphics editors have others used successfully to make this script work properly.

Tittils
12-07-2005, 00:14
I'm using PS CS2 and it works like a dream~;)

IceTorque
12-07-2005, 00:48
I get a lot of CTD's when using this tool. I'm thinking it's my TGA editor not saving in the proper format but want to make sure.

To use this tool properly all I need to do is put the script in the same folder with map_heights.tga, double click on the script and I should have a workable map_heights.hgt right. If not what are the exact steps I need to take?

I've used both the gimp and avg graphic studio 6.5 I made sure it was in 24 bit.

What graphics editors have others used successfully to make this script work properly.

I use MS paint to edit my files and save as bitmap, then I use irfanview to save as TGA true vision.
I made my map with 1.2 and when i converted to 1.3 the hgt converter worked perfectly using the same steps you describe.

I hope this helps.

Oaty
12-07-2005, 02:06
This is killing me I tried your method Icetourque. For practice I used the imperial campaign and made a copy as mod_campaign. I took height_maps.tga using irfanview converted it to a .bmp did a small edit in Libya saved it converted it back to a TGA, then converted into a .hgt file with the script, put it into the folder, loaded the game. It makes a RVM file but is incompatable with the descr_strat.

The file size has always been within 1 kilobyte of the original .hgt file that came with the game. What am I doing wrong here. It's got to be a setting I'm messing up when converting the files.

Oaty
12-07-2005, 02:47
Ok got it working now with Icetorques method. Not exactly sure what was causing the problem but I think it was because I had the file open while I was tring to convert it. Anyways works now thanks for the help.

alpaca
12-09-2005, 18:20
Hmm, strange. Having the file open shouldn't cause any problems unless your editor establishes a lock on the image but then again HGT-Converter shouldn't be able to read anything and crash without doing anything much (if it generates a rwm it would be empty).

miak
05-12-2006, 15:46
I;m trying to make a map but the hgt converter doesnt seem to be working. So all I have to do is go to command prompt and type in that stuff you said. The instructions says to open up my map folder. What do you mean by this do I type in the path name in command promt or do I just open it like a normal folder. When I didn't type in the path name it just didn't work nothing happened the hgt file didn't get created...

alpaca
05-12-2006, 16:16
First of all: Which version of R:TW are you modding for? If you use 1.5 or BI 1.6 there's no need for the HGT converter at all. Just delete map_heights.hgt - the game doesn't require it anymore.

miak
05-13-2006, 00:44
oh... ok thx hmm not sure if I dld path Ill see if I didnt ill just dl thanks.

miak
05-13-2006, 11:07
Umm yeah there is a problem for some reason there is something wrong with my computer and I'm not able to get a patch past 1.3 it's really weird. So yeah i'm gonna need some help with the hgt converter...

alpaca
05-13-2006, 17:26
Ok, you can use the hgt converter from windows. Just put it into the directory where you have your map_heights.tga and double-click it (with java installed). If you have a proper map_heights.tga it should generate a map_heights.hgt