PDA

View Full Version : Definative Medieval Total War Mod?

NimitsTexan
11-05-2005, 20:00
Is there a definative MTW mod (analagous to Rome: Total Realism) that makes everything as close to 100% realistic as possible, or is the default install about as good as it is going to get in that regard?

ajaxfetish
11-06-2005, 01:02
I haven't played any of them, but I've heard very good things about BKB SuperMod, XL Mod, and Medmod. Also, if you like Age of Empires and more faction-specialized unit rosters you might try the ZX Mod.

As far as a single definitive choice I don't think there is one based on what I've read. You'd probably have to try each of them to find a personal favorite, though you could search the modding forum or some older threads from this one to get some of the pros and cons for each beforehand.

Ajax

Martok
11-06-2005, 08:21
What Ajax said! I personally have XL installed on my game, but I've heard almost nothing but good things about the BKB mod and MedMod as well--it really all depends on what you're looking for. You may want to visit the Engineering Guild, which has a pretty good despription of all the various mods. You can also check out this thread: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=53100. It does a pretty good job of outlining the differences among the 3 mods, along with discussing the pros and cons of each one.

Mithrandir
11-06-2005, 18:07
Forward notice : No mod-bashing.

Byzantine Prince
11-06-2005, 18:29
The BKB mod is the most extensive and well-researched one. It does however have it's bugs. The XL mod is a lot lighter but still very enjoyable.

Martok
11-06-2005, 19:54
Forward notice : No mod-bashing.

Indeed. That's why I referred him to the already-existing thread. Otherwise we're all just going to wind up repeating ourselves! ~:rolleyes:

econ21
11-09-2005, 13:16
The short answer is no, there is no definitive mod in the way that RTW has RTR, IMO. (Although I suspect RTR will lose that status too when EB is released.)

The mod I am most familiar with is the MedMod by WesW. The premise of that mod was to increase the challenge of the game - ie gameplay - rather than prioritise realism a la RTR. However, it probably has made MTW more realistic along the way (e.g. by restricting recruitment of core troops to your homelands; an idea RTR also adopted).

I'll have to try some of the other mods, some of which seem to emphasise historical flavour. But none of them seem to be made by the large teams of historically minded modders that you see with RTR and EB, hence they are arguably less "definitive" than RTR currently is.

Personally, I think MTW vanilla is about as historical as RTW vanilla, so I doubt staying with that would give a more realistic game than a popular mod.