PDA

View Full Version : And your giving me giving me, nothin but shattered dreams.......

Lars Jorgensun
11-10-2005, 23:34
PLayed online for the first time, with the hopes of a campaign game against human opponents, ah the tales and the battles. Pitting real human minds against one another. Only to find out that they're is no campaign mode in multiplayer.~:mecry: :furious3: :furious3: :furious3: :furious3: :furious3: :furious3: :furious3: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :freak: :freak: :bigcry: :bigcry: :alien:

Martok
11-11-2005, 04:54
Heh. You, my friend, have just expressed the single biggest wish/disappointment for the entire Total War fanbase. There's nothing most of us would like more than being able to pit our empires against each other online (in addition to battles), but CA has thus far felt that adding a mutliplayer campaign to their games is unfeasable.

ichi
11-11-2005, 07:44
I just finished an evening of VI online and am convinced its the best gaming experience available, very challenging and lots of good peeps. I too would like an online campaign but until then I think I'll just keep trying to figure out how to beat people in battles.

ichi:bow:

Ciaran
11-11-2005, 11:07
I´ve never actually played online, but I suppose doing an online campaign with both the strategic and the tactical part might be tough for the players. Think about it, one of the battles can last over an hour and only two people participate in it, while the rest of the players have to wait for them to finish.
I know the same problem exists in Port Royale, usually it´s agreed to auto-calc the battles there.

Mithrandir
11-11-2005, 14:27
Well, a campaign with just 2 players would be possible, dividing the regions fair would be a posibility. However, I believe there are problems with storing the files.

Dunno, there are a lot of threads on this however, do a search and you'll find some soon enough.

MP campaign would be very nice though :).

Martok
11-11-2005, 16:13
I´ve never actually played online, but I suppose doing an online campaign with both the strategic and the tactical part might be tough for the players. Think about it, one of the battles can last over an hour and only two people participate in it, while the rest of the players have to wait for them to finish.
I know the same problem exists in Port Royale, usually it´s agreed to auto-calc the battles there.

Yeah, that's the main reason CA cites for not adding a multiplayer campaign. I think Mithrandir's idea of at least allowing 2 people to play against each other would be worthwhile, though. Honestly, though, I think most of us would be okay with having 4-8 players at a time--as long as we agreed to auto-calc the battles (or at least 99% of them). Heck, I know that I and most of my friends that play Medieval already auto-calc most of our battles even now, so it's not like it would be that much of an adjustment to make! Ah well, here's to hoping....

BAD
11-11-2005, 16:28
Auto-calc??!!?! Part timers. . . ~;p

ichi
11-11-2005, 19:23
Auto-calc??!!?! Part timers. . . ~;p

Exactly, auto-calc is like non-alcoholic beer, or decaffeinated coffee, a low tar cigarette, or fat-free bacon. Sure, you can, but what's the point?

dgfred
11-11-2005, 21:41
Exactly, auto-calc is like non-alcoholic beer, or decaffeinated coffee, a low tar cigarette, or fat-free bacon. Sure, you can, but what's the point?

I have to auto-calc every now and then, mainly with a castle seige or a
tedius battle when 200-1000 enemy troops assault my 2000 + troops. I find
no joy in waiting and waiting for the AI to assault, or luring them into a
slaughter pen ~:confused: . I like the exciting/tough battles where I really
need to have the 'humanhand' advantage ~;) .

miho
11-11-2005, 23:58
I used to autocalculate before. Now I have some more experience and enjoy battles. Well except sieges.

ichi
11-12-2005, 01:56
When I outnumber the enemy (or more accurately, when I think I have the advantage) I don't wait for the AI to attack me, I like to go after them.

Lars Jorgensun
11-14-2005, 03:40
I do as many battles myself as possible. M<ainly cause I like to make sue I use my fav units and gain them valour. :charge: :charge:

Weebeast
11-14-2005, 04:01
You can switch factions using -ian command, right?

You guys could elect one "host" and start a campaign using -ian command. That "host" then will make a move for the factions. The "host" will also send a screen shot of the empire for each player every turn. Battles are done online as usual.

Is this possible?

Mithrandir
11-14-2005, 18:01
Sounds like a Play by Mail campaign in the making to me :).

Moved to PBM-dojo.

Dutch_guy
11-14-2005, 21:19
wow another thread... Wait I mean another Hot thread,

Doesn't happen very often over here in the Throne room ;)

Extra traffic in here is always a good thing.

:balloon2: