PDA

View Full Version : Site of famous battle

Mouzafphaerre
11-12-2005, 01:04
I've got one for the first time! Is it BI-specific or can the vanilla produce them too? How many have you guys got? ~:)

https://img107.imageshack.us/img107/7904/before7wk.th.jpg (https://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=before7wk.jpg)|.|.
.|.|https://img482.imageshack.us/img482/2277/after4fx.th.jpg (https://img482.imageshack.us/my.php?image=after4fx.jpg)
.|https://img482.imageshack.us/img482/6883/then5zt.th.jpg (https://img482.imageshack.us/my.php?image=then5zt.jpg)|.

Antagonist
11-12-2005, 01:19
That feature was present in vanilla as well, I see them quite regularly. Initially I thought you had to just had to win a Heroic Victory, but more recently I've seen several battles with this outcome, but no commemoration. Also I don't think you can get them with sieges.

It's a great feature though. One of those little undocumented things that makes one smile when one discovers it. ~:)

Antagonist

Mouzafphaerre
11-12-2005, 01:40
Indeed. I'm still smiling. ~:)

TheSilverKnight
11-12-2005, 02:09
I've never gotten one of those...any criteria I have to meet? ~:)

Mouzafphaerre
11-12-2005, 02:24
Don't know... It was my first and ever. The criteria of the occassion were such, I believe:
The odds were against me (9:10);
I was the attacked side;
Two enemy armies attacked one of mine;
All armies were led by generals;
There were kings on both sides, leading the armies;
I won a heroic victory;
A significant event was triggered by the battle (faction destroyed).
Can't think of any more off the top of my head. Hth determining the pattern. ~:)

Somebody Else
11-12-2005, 02:31
I keep getting them, haven't really worked out what the trigger is; I always assumed it was merely having a certain number of units involved or something - I've had captains win 'famous battles', attacking, defending, odds madly against, odds pretty even... it seems pretty random to me, though - given that, it does seem to be the more 'epic' battles that garner such a title.

Grey_Fox
11-12-2005, 02:37
I have had several of these, mainly as Carthage. It's probably also to do with the fact that you had an inferior general and that you were outnumbered. Then there is also the relative strenght of your units. As Carthage you are forced to use relatively weaker units meaning that each victory is slightly more special.

My most recent Famous Victory was a 5 star Germanian General along with 4 Spear Warband and a parcel of screaming whores (all told 560 men or so) against a Gallic army of 1100 led by their faction leader with 5 stars consisting of mainly Warbands, with some axemen, swordsmen and barbarian cavalry thrown in.

Kraxis
11-12-2005, 13:10
There are quite a few chances to get it.
Have a large percentage of your troops present, have your troops win a massive victory, have a large percentage of the enemy present. And a few more...

Mouzafphaerre
11-12-2005, 13:27
Where is it defined/triggered if any? The lazy mind wishes to know without digging up. ~:)

Silver Rusher
11-12-2005, 13:28
Ah, the great city of Merovaegsburg I see.

Mouzafphaerre
11-12-2005, 14:13
Ah, the great city of Merovaegsburg I see.
~;)

I'm naming them after the triumphant generals; sometimes in German and sometimes in bastardized Latin. ~:)

lilljonas
11-12-2005, 14:50
You need to have a large percentage of your total amount of troops present at the battle. That's why it's quite easy to get them early (any battle is bound to have a large percentage of your measly amount of troops!), and much harder later on. I usually get one or three during my initial turns, especially if I use most of my available troop to blitz someone. As the Seleucids, I once had three of those crossed swords in the vicinity of Damascus! Crappy Egyptians never rose again... ~:cheers:

GreatEmperor
11-12-2005, 14:50
I believe you get them when the odds are against you and you win massively

Ludens
11-12-2005, 15:47
You indeed need to win a heroic victory, in which you destroy a significant portion of the enemies military power. I once won a heroic naval battle, when my Scipii fleat beat of the combined Carthagianian navies. That was in 1.1 though.

I think there can be only a limited number of heroic victory markers at a time, as I am quite certain one disappeared after I wiped out a massive Gaul army for the second time. Never seen it happen since, though.

snevets
11-12-2005, 16:41
Indeed, if you're looking to see it yourself than decimate a large enemy army who have technically superior equipment and you'll more than likely get one. My maps are filled with them ~;) .

Crusader4thepeople
11-12-2005, 16:52
In my Brutii campaign the coast from Thermon to Athens was marked with about 5. But i also noticed all but the 3 biggest dissapeared again

Silver Rusher
11-12-2005, 20:47
~;)

I'm naming them after the triumphant generals; sometimes in German and sometimes in bastardized Latin. ~:)
Nice ~;)

I like to get some words off the internet of the language of the faction I'm playing as so that I can use them in renaming conquered cities. e.g. a Celtic town could be called Concaglormhar (I think it means "glorious conquest" in Gaelic).

The Stranger
11-12-2005, 21:25
i used to have dozens of these in vanilla in 1 campaign...though i;ve had a a few in BI. the AI produces them as well...though i thought they tend to dissapear after a while or when a limit is exeeded though i dont know for sure

Kraxis
11-13-2005, 00:44
A dev once said that there is a limit of 10 famous battlesites on the entire map. So from number 11 and onwards the oldest battlesite gets deleted.

Ziaelas
11-13-2005, 16:31
I have had LOADS of these in RTW, but none in BI.

The computer can get them as well, as there are a couple with Doros The Honest (Greek) beating Macedon Captains in My Scythian Greek lands.

Syxx_Killer
11-13-2005, 16:49
That's interesting. I have never had the famous battle thing appear. That is a cool feature, tough.:charge:

scotchedpommes
11-13-2005, 17:41
Had my first two almost at the same time, after recently reinstalling and playing
RTW for the first time in a while. First was a battle I would've only regarded as a
skirmish, on a road outside Tarentum with a couple of Hestati units against a
slightly larger force of brigands. Second was a naval battle about a year later,
with the odds much more clearly stacked against me. Came round the side of
one of the smaller unnamed islands just off the coast, behind a relatively large
Greek fleet. Looked like a certain defeat to me, but came out of it with a Heroic
Victory. ~:)

Celt Centurion
12-08-2005, 21:23
Don't know... It was my first and ever. The criteria of the occassion were such, I believe:
The odds were against me (9:10);
I was the attacked side;
Two enemy armies attacked one of mine;
All armies were led by generals;
There were kings on both sides, leading the armies;
I won a heroic victory;
A significant event was triggered by the battle (faction destroyed).
Can't think of any more off the top of my head. Hth determining the pattern. ~:)

I've been getting them for a long time as well. It's possible that you never noticed them before. I first thought it was a scratch on the screen or bad pixel. Moving my cursor over it showed otherwise. If you still have old games saved, look in them and see what you find.

What I think causes them is large armies or fleets having a battle. An army of 1,200 slaughtering 81 hoplites, or 121 peasants doesn't do it. Two armies of 1,200 or so men in each will. Also, same with fleets. A battle involving 2 or three ships in each fleet won't be marked, Two full fleets of 20 ships each, fully manned by Marines, will leave a crossed swords symbol on the water.

I was noticing them long before I put on the 1.2 patch.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Nelson
12-08-2005, 21:53
I have seen the famous battle markers appear many times. On one occasion, an army caused two markers on the same turn.

I have encountered markers made by AI victories too. It has long been a cool feature of the game.

Mouzafphaerre
12-09-2005, 14:45
I've seen AI markers too. :yes: My above criteria, most of them at least, are now obsolete. For instance, one of my captains commanding someting half an army and half a peasant horde slaughtered a peasant horde with a unit of cavalry or two. We got the marker. ~D

hoom
12-13-2005, 21:22
Don't think I've ever seen a naval battle marked but have had plenty of legendary land battles.