PDA

View Full Version : Patching the Patch

Cirith Ungol
11-13-2005, 16:43
So when will they patch the patch so the stuff they patched will be patched?? And will that patch need a patch to patch its patch or will it be a good patch lol .~:handball:

Just A Girl
11-13-2005, 16:56
if you check CA's history about patching games....
You may be dissapointed.

Ludens
11-13-2005, 20:42
if you check CA's history about patching games....
You may be dissapointed.
A CA developer has hinted that there may come another patch for both R:TW and BI. However, nothing has been heard of it since (by me, at least ~:) ).

BTW, creating a major patch usually has to happen in conjunction with the publisher, because they have the resources to extensively test it (unles the developer happens to be Blizzard), so checking Sega's history of patching might yield a more relevant indication. That said, CA released at least one small patch (VI 2.01) without the publisher's support because the community demanded it.

edyzmedieval
11-13-2005, 21:27
Modders are faster and more reliable than the creators of the games, trust me. ~D

For example, the Bug Fixer by Player1 or the RTW BI Enhacement Pack by Borsook are excellent. ~:cheers:

Kekvit Irae
11-13-2005, 21:30
Modders are faster and more reliable than the creators of the games, trust me. ~D

For example, the Bug Fixer by Player1 or the RTW BI Enhacement Pack by Borsook are excellent. ~:cheers:

But unless they are programmers with the actual code, they are unable to fix the majority of the problems that still exist.

Red Harvest
11-13-2005, 21:50
All indications from CA so far is that they still consider BI/RTW a work in progress, rather than done. So I believe they will issue one more patch for RTW. When they are done, they will most likely say, "that's it, no more money is left for further patches, team members have moved on to new projects, etc."

They had some big changes to make to get the at Load/Save bug and to incorporate some of the new BI stuff. It looks like there is quite a bit of "tidying up" to do. Hopefully, they will take their time and be thorough for the final patch.

On the more negative/lost hope side: I don't think the basic problems with ranged/skirmish unit AI are likely to be fixed. I suspect they will continue to fail to act like a group screeining in front. Instead they will come in aimlessly from behind the line, piecemeal, charging at anything that turns its back to them. Nor do I believe they are going to make the generals sufficiently hesitant about charging into the enemy lines before their infantry do. Not sure what the real hurdle is, but I've given up on CA figuring out a way around these problems. Hopefully at least the pila problem will be addressed, and the lack of AI warcry in many situations as well. It just doesn't put up nearly as much of a fight as it could be doing at the present.

edyzmedieval
11-13-2005, 22:03
But unless they are programmers with the actual code, they are unable to fix the majority of the problems that still exist.

True. Maybe someone can decode it...

Mongoose
11-14-2005, 00:07
Bad news; they can't. I am fairly certain that would be illegal.~:mecry:

lars573
11-14-2005, 03:19
Bad news; they can't. I am fairly certain that would be illegal.~:mecry:
In fact that EULA that you all clicked I agree to said you can't.