PDA

View Full Version : Close order Drill, Turning units in battle

Breeze
11-14-2005, 01:37
Ok it really has been bothering me that this isn't more clear in the game or that the web site at Rome does not have it clearly posted. Further the battle commands used to come up and work in my game at least until version 1.3 now they do not.

The commands that I hve read at the following threads I can not seem to get to workl for me the ALT+Left Click and things like that to wheel left or right these commands do not work for me. Is this a Rome issue??

Is it any issue any one knows of are the following posts not meant for the game RTW version 1.3

Hard to believe they would not have commands that they used to and the progress of the game would be going backward though.

PLEASE HELP

I play the game and am doing well with the exception of the combat itself i win and I throw up good strats but in the movement of my troops and formations I am lacking and I feel that these points and strats cant be shown enough

Close Order Drill

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-23917.html

Turning a Unit in Battle

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=23837

Thanks for any help you can give
:knight:

C-F
11-14-2005, 03:07
Hi Breeze,
both your threads refer to MTW topics - I didn't read the hole thread,
but I believe they apply to MTW only and not RTW.
I myself am having my fair share of 'toop movment' mainly because I'm getting too old and start forgetting to re/-act or simply push the wrong button ~;) - the odds are 1:105 - roughly ~D

Pressing F1 should bring up the 'help' screen and hovering in the bottom right should tell what the buttons do.

PS, on my keyboard, some things only work with the F-lock key 'on'. (Logitech)

CountMRVHS
11-14-2005, 04:36
"F-lock key".... does every keyboard have one of those?

I ask because the F-commands (toggle radar visibility, button visibility, and unit card visibility, which are supposedly F5, F6, and F7) don't do anything when I press them. It'd be nice to be able to take a "clean" screenshot....CapsLock doesn't do it.

As for rotating troops in battle, what about the < and > keys?

CountMRVHS

SomeNick
11-14-2005, 06:54
My Logitech keyboard has the same... got it the other day...F Lock key is kinda handy. If you lock it then the F keys only apply to the program you are using.

Breeze, try right click and drag the unit out left , right or increase troop formation depth. It gives you alternate formations for troops. Also left - right whilst dragging to face front, and right - left whilst dragging to face rear.

And as pointed out above the < > keys to wheel your unit left and right.
Also works for whole army by using Ctrl + A to select it.
Enter to deselect all.

'=' Increases formation depth
'-' Decreases formation depth.

There's also a formation button in the battle interface to far right. But applies to whole army.

Use 'G' to group selected units for the duration of a battle until they rout or until you press 'G' again to ungroup the selected units.
Using numbered key to select corresponding group.

Also holding down shift key you can 'path' a unit along the battle field in any manner you like, clicking various points etc. Holding space bar will show a units plan of movement too.

'Home' key will always take you to your general.

I'm off to have a beer. Have a good one : )

'Ctrl +...'
M = All Missile
I = Infantry
H= All melee units
C= All cavalry
B = All Artillery

C-F
11-14-2005, 08:25
Hi again,
I just did the famous:
when all else fails, read the manual...~:cool:

Here is a short summary of what I found-

Move and attack:

Left click - unit or unit card to select
Right click - on battlefield to move selected unit(s) -on enemy to attack
double right click- to run to location or to charge an enemy - or, for all missle units, they will run forward until in missle range and then start deploying missles

Stop button or backspace key to cancel move or attack order.

Alt right click - to order a secondary attack (attack with their secondary weapon) by a unit(s)

Unit formations:
(select a unit by left clicking then..)

right click and drag to change the unit frontage. During this process you can change the units rank and facing

< and > rotate facing without changing rank or position.

Waypoints:

shift right click -sets waypoint for a selected unit - repeat (up to a dozen times) to create a 'marching route' - unit will go to these points in sequence

shift - after a route has been set, will show all waypoints for selected unit
spacebar- will show only final destination of selected unit.

Then there is multiple units~:) :

selecting more than one unit is done with ctrl left clicking card or unit - it works as a 'toggle switch' (add/subtract units from selection)

once you have your selection above commands should work for your unit selection
and
grouping and putting them under AI assistance is possible but thats another story....

Ctrl A - selects all units
Ctrl B - selects all artillery units
Ctrl I - selects all infantry
Ctrl C - selects all cavalry
Ctrl H - selects all melee
and, yes, you guessed right, Ctrl M - selects all missle firing units ~D

Hope that helps a bit (should keep you busy for a while, I know it will me ~:cheers: )

Notice, the only Alt click... I could find is for attacking with secondary weapon
:bow:

C-F
11-14-2005, 08:27
Hi SomeNick~:) ,

I see you beat me to it - nice work ~:cheers:

SomeNick
11-14-2005, 08:27
lol!

Thanks mate. Your's looks better presented I think. : )
Plus you got the unit pathing better explained, hardly use it myself.

Yeah, and Alt right click is for secondary attack, missed that one. Archers for example.

Ciaran
11-14-2005, 12:29
ALT- right is the key for secondary attack only when done on an enemy unit, else it moves the unit(s) to the point keeping its facing. That´s not documented in the Rome manual, because it was introduced only with patch 1.2, after complaints of old MTW players, I presume.

Breeze
11-14-2005, 16:34
Thank you guys As I dont have the manual my nephew snuffed it out on me, but
I do thank you for these tips as I have been getting very frustrated with the lineups

Rilder
11-14-2005, 17:45
yea that Alt + Right click is very handy moving your army closer to the enemy in attacks without disrupting formation