PDA

View Full Version : Deadpage coords

buujin
11-21-2005, 14:25
Hello All.

I have a problem with a mod im developing. The mod conains many new units as well as most of the units from MTW and a few from VI. Currenlty i get no dead bodies appearing during battles, not even those of the original mtw units.

To try to solve this problem i have made a new deadpage coords file from scratch and ordered the units in the same order as they appear in the unit prod file ( that is MTW units at the top, then VI units then lastly the newly created ones ). However there are still no dead bodies :(

Ive taken a look at the thread by [DnC] in the repositry regarding this but have gained no full understanding of the problem.

Im hoping somone can help me :|

Is there a file other than the unit prod and deadpage coords which effects whether deadbodies will appear or not ?

Id be happy to send the file(s) ive created to anyone who may be able to help.

L'Impresario
11-23-2005, 14:16
*Bump*

BTW, this shouldn't be here I think.

Puzz3D
11-23-2005, 21:25
I have a problem with a mod im developing. The mod conains many new units as well as most of the units from MTW and a few from VI. Currenlty i get no dead bodies appearing during battles, not even those of the original mtw units.

Ive taken a look at the thread by DnC in the repositry regarding this but have gained no full understanding of the problem.

DnC's explanation in the archive got chopped, so it's incomplete.

Everytime a man is killed the game goes through the deadpage file sequentially from top to bottom matching the units against prod file entries. When it gets to the unit type of the man killed, a corpse is produced. If the deadpage has an entry without a corresponding entry in the prod file, the search will stop at that point and no corpse will be produced. Some units in MTW, such as the Faris, lost their corpses when VI was released because CA put 3 VI units in the middle of the deadpage coordinate list in front of some regular MTW units. That can be fixed by moving those 3 units (JomsVikings, Bonnachts and IrishDartmen) to the end of the deadpage.

If your mod is trying to maintain compatibility with regular MTW/VI, any new units must be placed at the end of the deadpage file and the prod file must contain all the regular MTW/VI units unless you swap in a new deadpage file when the mod is in use.

buujin
11-23-2005, 23:39
I see, thanks for the responce yuuki.

I have removed some of the vanilla units which could be why its not working.
Currently i am trying to make the new deadpage coords compatible with VI.
does this mean i need the unit prod to contain all the regualr mtw and vi units as well as the new ones from my mod ?\

And what is the alternative?, if i can use a different deadpage for the mod, what would be the requirements of the deadpage coords for it to work?,.

At moment NO units are appearing , although one of the units removed from the mod is highland clansmen :P which happens to be first on the list in the vanilla unit prod:P

Puzz3D
11-24-2005, 17:01
I have removed some of the vanilla units which could be why its not working.
Currently i am trying to make the new deadpage coords compatible with VI.
does this mean i need the unit prod to contain all the regualr mtw and vi units as well as the new ones from my mod ?
Yes. I think there are 167 regular units. The maximum number of units is 255. You don't have to keep the horses, ships and special units that don't appear on the battlefiled.

And what is the alternative?, if i can use a different deadpage for the mod, what would be the requirements of the deadpage coords for it to work?,.
The game only supports one deadpage file, so you would have to manually overwrite it when going between the mod and regular MTW/VI. To use only one deadpage file for both, put all the new units after the regular ones in the deadpage file.

buujin
11-24-2005, 17:45
Yes. I think there are 167 regular units. The maximum number of units is 255. You don't have to keep the horses, ships and special units that don't appear on the battlefiled.

The game only supports one deadpage file, so you would have to manually overwrite it when going between the mod and regular MTW/VI. To use only one deadpage file for both, put all the new units after the regular ones in the deadpage file.

Ok.

So regardless of whether the new coords are compatible with vanilla or not, all the regualr vi units must appear in the unit prod and the deadpage file?

The Blind King of Bohemia
11-24-2005, 22:55
Sorry for the delay Buujin.

First of all you must decide on the unit prod you are going to use. Then you need to prepare your deadpagecoords. Every unit you have in your unit prod (bar as someone said the agents, mounts and ships) must be in this file in the order they appear in the unit prod.

Now as already said you can only have one deadpage coords, so if your unit list is in a different order from those already in the game (Early, High, Late, etc.) then they will only work for your period. You don't have to get it to work with these periods if you don't want to. I needed 3 for my mod that you had to swtich before starting the game, as I have different units for each period. If you're only adding them on it shouldn't be a problem. Bear in mind though that most deadpage coords for the added VI units didn't actually work, so they'll need rearranging first.

Also of course make sure its in the 'Textures/Men' file. If its still not working and the order is *exactly* the same in each, then I'm stumped.

buujin
11-25-2005, 00:09
Ok, I think i understand.

So what you are saying, is that provided the units appear in the same order in the deadpage coords as in the unit prod file, then I should see corpses on the battlefield, however it will ONLY be compatible for Both my mod and the regular game if ALL the regular vi units are there.

Have i got that right ?

One thing i noticed about your mod BKB, is that the units from the vanilla version of MTW/VI are not in the same order as they originally were. Are they all there ? ... or have u removed some completely?

Thanks for the help. ~:)

The Blind King of Bohemia
11-25-2005, 09:58
Its not compulsory to have any particular units in there, just the ones you want. From that point its simply imperative that whatever units you do have are also in the deadpage coords, in exactly the same order.

Some units I have removed and switched around, but the deadpage coords are still okay if you do them in order.

buujin
11-25-2005, 13:03
I see, this means what i suspected is true, that i was following the right method but must have made a minor error somewhere in the text, damn. :P

If a single number was missing from one the coordinates would that that disrupt the whole sequence of the file, or just the relevant unit ?

Also , we are trying to create duplicates of some of the units in order to apply the differentiation in cost of attaining them for different factions..

does this mean these units must appear twice in the deadpage as well as the unit prod ?

Puzz3D
11-25-2005, 17:11
If a single number was missing from one the coordinates would that that disrupt the whole sequence of the file, or just the relevant unit ?
It would mess up that unit and all the units that come after that one. The search of the deadpage stops on any error.

Also , we are trying to create duplicates of some of the units in order to apply the differentiation in cost of attaining them for different factions..

does this mean these units must appear twice in the deadpage as well as the unit prod ?
You need one entry in the deadpage file for each unit name in the prod file.

I want to clarify something. The units in the deadpage do not have to be in the same order as the units in the prod file. The requirement is that every unit type in the prod file have an entry in the deadpage file. The reason that some corpses in MTW disappeared after VI was released is that three VI unit types were placed before some MTW unit types in the deadpage. When you play one of the MTW eras it uses a different prod file that doesn't contain the VI units. Therefore the deadpage search stops as soon as it encounters the first VI unit because that unit doesn't exist in the MTW era prod file. Any new units added by a mod have to go at the end of the deadpage file if you are going to use the same deadpage for all eras, and the prod file that goes with your new era has to contain all the units from the other eras because they are in the deadpage file being used.

buujin
11-26-2005, 14:23
Great, im making headway now :)

I found that the first few units generate corpses and so its now simply a matter of testing the units from top to bottom to find where the error is and so where the sequence halts.

Thanks very much guys for all your help.