PDA

View Full Version : emissaries and influence in MTW

matteus the inbred
11-21-2005, 17:33
i've been wondering if the honour rating of emissaries makes any difference to the outcome of their missions (like assassins), or whether it just makes them harder to kill. i've had many instances where repeated attempts to get the AI (especially the Pope!) to ally, marry, accept ceasefires and whatnot have failed despite there being no obvious disadvantages for the AI faction, particularly if i've just given their dastardly sneak attack a good shoeing and want to make friends again cos i'm busy elsewhere.
i can understand the AI refusing to accept diplomatic efforts if i've just conquered half their provinces or duffed up their crusade, but are there ways to increase the likelihood of them accepting diplomatic offers? does sending a level 4 emissary instead of level 0 help? is using a bishop more or less effective? when the Almohads are knocking on the door and i need France and the HRE to stop attacking my Anjou estates, can i do anything to influence them into joining with me, their fellow Christian?

ichi
11-21-2005, 18:10
. . . but are there ways to increase the likelihood of them accepting diplomatic offers?

The only factors that I know of are the King's Influence and your Empire size. The higher the King's Influence the more likely the AI is to accept your offer, the smaller your empire is the more likely you are to make alliances. At some point it doesn't matter what your influence is you won't get any acceptance letters.

does sending a level 4 emissary instead of level 0 help?

No, there's been some speculation that higher valor helps reduce the cost of bribe, but the only confirmed aspect of Emissary valor is resistance to assassination

when the Almohads are knocking on the door and i need France and the HRE to stop attacking my Anjou estates, can i do anything to influence them into joining with me, their fellow Christian?

probably not, maybe reduce your empire size, but that's kinda not consistent with the game's objectives is it?

ichi:bow:

matteus the inbred
11-21-2005, 18:22
hmm, many thanks Ichi-san, didn't know about the bribes thing, will have to test that one.

i guess it makes sense that the bigger and badder your empire is, the more people distrust you, however influential you are. it's certainly proving hard to get alliances back after fighting people, however short-lived the conflict is.
at some point in every campaign i've played i've been excommunicated and at war with everyone i've got borders with, so maybe i just don't have the knack of making friends!
:girlslap:

ichi
11-21-2005, 18:54
and from a gaming perspective, if you could make peace with everyone then knock them off one by one, it would prolly make the game way too easy. The game engine has always seemed to me to make the game harder when I do better, always keeping the pressure on me, whether its by civil unrest, antagonistic neighbors, storms at sea, governors with extra toes, or crusades.

And you're right, if an empire has a history of making peace with ts neighbors beofre absorbing them, would you want to become their next ' friend'

Finkej00
11-21-2005, 23:48
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
British politician (1874 - 1965)

Finkej00

ichi
11-22-2005, 01:11
Thanks for the reminder Fink, and Welcome to the Org

matteus the inbred
11-22-2005, 10:28
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.

absolutely right!

i'm looking forward to getting RTW for xmas, as the diplomacy (from what i've read), has far more depth to it...but first i need to settle those ****** Almohads, and not diplomatically either.