PDA

View Full Version : Strengthen Batltle line with Camels!

Slicendice
11-30-2005, 16:16
While I was sharing my flowers with the Sassanids I bought some camel mercs and used them in a battle. The immortals came charging up and hit my line in the center. They would do terrible damage and I would be broken in the center. I charged my camel mercs up from behind and the Immortals broke! I tried this repeatedly and made Warlord Cavalry and other high morale units break. I found it very usefull in holding the line against the various horse cultures that made up the Hordes in the game.

What do you all think?

https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twsmilies/editedg.gif

Mouzafphaerre
11-30-2005, 16:45
Nice. Camels scare horses and thus inflict a moral penalty on the cavalry AFAIK. However, them being relatively weak in melee, I would support them with decent spears and/or heavy cavalry/elites.

Slicendice
11-30-2005, 18:50
I actually keep them right behind the main line and I think even their proximity to the cavalry is enough to make them break. Unfortunately I this doesn't show up on the enemy unit stats when I put my cursor over them.

Conqueror
11-30-2005, 21:45
I actually keep them right behind the main line and I think even their proximity to the cavalry is enough to make them break. Unfortunately I this doesn't show up on the enemy unit stats when I put my cursor over them.

It does work. I can often see "intimidated by a nearby unit" as a cavalry unit's status when it's in close proximity to an enemy camel unit. So for an anti-cavalry tactic, attack with armored spearmen (such as Legio Lanciarii) and keep some camels behind the spearmen. This should work wonder on the cavalry's morale, although certain units with very high morale (general's bodyguard etc) might not break untill after severe losses. If you want to use the camels to join the fight, always manouvre them to the rear and charge from behind.

Darius
12-02-2005, 14:25
Yea the camel mercs are good, but the armoured camel mercs seem to subsist on a healthy diet of the enemies horses faces.

Kekvit Irae
12-02-2005, 14:50
Let's all take after Slicendice and share our flowers with our enemies :daisy: