PDA

View Full Version : Naval ops alive and well

Syxx_Killer
12-15-2005, 02:20
The naval invasions are indeed alive and well. I started yet another new Brutii campaign. Within a few turns The Greek Cities landed an army at Croton. They just stood there. Since it was a new campaign I was still recruiting troops as I sent my initial army off to capture Appalonia. Once I had some hastati and equites trained, I went after the Greek army. They retreated into their ship. I then sent my small naval force that I had near Tarantum (sp?) to attack the Greek naval force. My force won and their army lost. Now that the campaign is a bit further along, there are all sorts of naval invasions going on. The Julii took under siege a Carthaginian island town. The Carthaginians responded and sent a naval invasion to beat back the Julii. The Greeks have ships all over the place. The Scipii have taken Sicily and are actively sending fleets around. They are blockading Carthaginian ports. I have seen the Carthaginians blockade Rome. I have never seen a faction do that before. Since I'm not that far into my new campain, I can't say much more about naval operations, but it sure does look promising! Good job CA!:san_grin::san_cool:

ChaosLord
12-15-2005, 03:59
This is with the new patch then? A more active naval game would be a great addition. I wonder if this is just a scripted bit at the start though. I'm still downloading the patch so I can't check yet, anyone else have reports on their game post 1.5-1.6 patch?

sassbarman
12-16-2005, 00:07
I had the gauls land a force and beseige caralis, never seen that before.

professorspatula
12-16-2005, 00:32
There's quite a few posts on this, but I've found naval invasions are more common too. I resumed a Julii campaign I'd started with RTW 1.3, but it was only about 10 turns into the game so things hadn't progressed too far. Neither Brutii nor Scipii had done much at that point. Now playing with the new patch, a few years past, and I was advancing into Gaul territory when I turned Fog of War off and noticed Brutii taking over many settlements near Greece, and even the Scipii sent a full stack army into Greece. Never seen them go anywhere near there before. They were beaten back, but then took over Carthage a few turns later. In my experience of RTW1.2 and 1.3, I could typically invade the cities my Roman rivals wanted first via sea-invasions, thus halting their progress. This time, I was almost lagging behind. Actually it reminded me of my early v1.0 campaigns. I'll be interested to see if Cyprus, Rhodes and Crete are targetted by AI factions in the future. Typically before these islands remain safe havens for their owners for much of the campaign.

rs2k2
12-18-2005, 10:58
There's quite a few posts on this, but I've found naval invasions are more common too. I resumed a Julii campaign I'd started with RTW 1.3, but it was only about 10 turns into the game so things hadn't progressed too far. Neither Brutii nor Scipii had done much at that point. Now playing with the new patch, a few years past, and I was advancing into Gaul territory when I turned Fog of War off and noticed Brutii taking over many settlements near Greece, and even the Scipii sent a full stack army into Greece. Never seen them go anywhere near there before. They were beaten back, but then took over Carthage a few turns later. In my experience of RTW1.2 and 1.3, I could typically invade the cities my Roman rivals wanted first via sea-invasions, thus halting their progress. This time, I was almost lagging behind. Actually it reminded me of my early v1.0 campaigns. I'll be interested to see if Cyprus, Rhodes and Crete are targetted by AI factions in the future. Typically before these islands remain safe havens for their owners for much of the campaign.

brutii landed a force on Crete and attacked me (Macedon)

..thought you'd like to know