PDA

View Full Version : How long do you play for?

red comyn
12-17-2005, 10:25
As KSEG asked in another thread

How can someone play a game continuously for 4 hours?
I rarely play more than a hour conitinuously.

"Easily" was my first thought.... I often find myself setting the alarm on my phone as to not spend to long sitting at it....... can drift away for many hours obliviouse to the outside world.. then when something dramatic happens i.e.

1) You realise youve run out of ciggies

2) You really need to pee

or 3) theres light coming in through the window.:san_shocked:

and you realise youve been playing for many hours than you ment to, did used to happen alot more with mtw than with rome but could go a long way to explaining why I never noticed the load/save bug :san_grin:

So what would you say is the average amount of time you spend playing?

Kaldhore
12-17-2005, 11:34
I believe KSEG was replying to my post, and tbh 4 Hours was a modest amount. As Ive stated in that thread 12 hours on a day off is the norm. The usual breaks to the toilet - detour to the Fridge for supplies and sometimes a 10 min jog to the shop for cigs.

When I owned my own house and lived alone it was even worse than that. But now Ive sold it and live with my mum (temporarily!) so I got others to consider if Im disturbing them at 4am now...

YAKOBU
12-17-2005, 11:39
Hi everyone :san_grin:

I haven't played RTW much recently as I know I need to commit a good chunk of time to it to keep the enjoyment going. I find if I only play an hour every few days then I lose track of the game and run out of enthusiasm. If I have a free weekend I may play a full day on the game. I'm looking forward to getting some serious time in on the patch over Xmas as I have nearly 2 weeks off work. Now if only I can get out of my family commitments :san_wink: .

:charge:

Garvanko
12-17-2005, 12:47
Used toplay six or seven hours straight. Now its usually an average of two every other night or so..

KSEG
12-17-2005, 13:19
Maybe it's only me, but After about an hour playing anysort of game I start to get dizzy and uncomfortable, so I have to quit the game and rest.
I only get this sensation when I'm doing games, not browsing internet.
So I usually play an hour continuously, sometimes 2 hours, then I rest for a while.

Mouzafphaerre
12-17-2005, 13:34
Minimum 2 hours. The first hour is just for the heatup. :san_grin:

TB666
12-17-2005, 14:01
For RTW, 1 hour minimum

professorspatula
12-17-2005, 14:23
I tend to play for an hour or two, stop playing, then maybe play a bit more later on. I have been known to waste half a day playing RTW in the past, but I tend to get bored easier now. I also auto-resolve a lot more battles than before as a result. Fortunately, you no longer automatically lose every battle on VH if you don't have at least twice as many men as the AI.

Kaldhore
12-17-2005, 15:29
Maybe it's only me, but After about an hour playing anysort of game I start to get dizzy and uncomfortable, so I have to quit the game and rest.
So I usually play an hour continuously, sometimes 2 hours, then I rest for a while.

Sounds like you need glasses or a better pair ! :san_shocked:

Or you have Temperal lobe issues :san_huh:

Uesugi Kenshin
12-17-2005, 15:29
I usually play for an hour or two, rarely more unless it is Friday night or something, then I sometimes play more like three or four.

Terry
12-17-2005, 16:09
I get to play only about a half hour to an hour a day. Life presses in and makes me take control of things around me. If only I could handle these things like I do my empire - efficiently, ruthlessly and confidently...

Terry

professorspatula
12-17-2005, 16:13
Sounds like you need glasses or a better pair ! :san_shocked:

Or you have Temperal lobe issues :san_huh:

Perhaps their monitor's refresh rate is too low (and/or for TFT monitors, a slow response rate) and this, coupled with having to concentrate more on the screen helps cause the reaction experienced. I only feel uncomfortable on fast paced action games if I've been playing too long.

Red Harvest
12-17-2005, 16:57

Might be a refresh rate issue if you have a CRT monitor. You might need to force an appropriate refresh rate (75 Hz minimum, 85 Hz or better preferred) while you play. Games and some types of apps don't always pull in the Windows desktop refresh rate you want, and default to that awful 60 Hz setting. I find flicker very fatiguing on the eyes.

Kaldhore
12-18-2005, 10:41
This is true - recently my TFT has gained a green tinge that spoils the colour and gamma - very upsetting considering the money I paid. Ive tried everything - but to get back to the point, everytime I changed a setting it reverted to the 60Hz setting. If I had more room I 'd set up my main monitor again :(

GFX707
12-18-2005, 14:54
Perhaps their monitor's refresh rate is too low (and/or for TFT monitors, a slow response rate) and this, coupled with having to concentrate more on the screen helps cause the reaction experienced. I only feel uncomfortable on fast paced action games if I've been playing too long.

Yes, I think you're right. Same happened to me before I found out how to get XP to display more than 60Hz in games....

gardibolt
12-19-2005, 18:51
I always tell myself I'll play for an hour, but end up getting totally sucked into the game---"Well, if I can take that city, then this will be a good stopping point---but I need to relieve that siege---If I get my elephants to Italy I'll stop there--well, let's try those elephants against Capua since I have them there, etc.etc.etc." Start at 7 PM figuring I'll play till 8 and next thing it's 2:30 AM. And I'm an old fart.:san_embarassed:

scotchedpommes
12-20-2005, 17:34
"Well, if I can take that city, then this will be a good stopping point---but I need to relieve that siege---If I get my elephants to Italy I'll stop there--well, let's try those elephants against Capua since I have them there, etc.etc.etc." Start at 7 PM figuring I'll play till 8 and next thing it's 2:30 AM. And I'm an old fart.:san_embarassed:

Sounds worryingly like me. When I've nothing better to do I can play
anything from 6 hours upwards. [Will happily say I'm not quite an old
fart yet though. :san_wink:]

Cash
12-20-2005, 17:59
SP takes at least 8 hours to play, and that is only to a break. I try to play the game at least every other day, so as not to lose interest. Yes I am an old fart.:san_smiley:

Slug For A Butt
12-20-2005, 23:01
I can play for many hours without realising where the time has gone.
Example - today fell down the stairs and injured my ankle and shoulder after tripping over the cat, so...

No work

Lots of time.

Lots of beer in my beer fridge.

Wife at work all day.

A cupboard full of cigs.

All day spent playing BI, and all night too once she has gone to bed.

No work tomorrow.

Same again tomorrow. (Apart from falling down the stairs... I hope)

[GG]vonDöbeln
12-23-2005, 11:34
On a day off I can easily play 12-14 hours just pausing for food and bathroom visits.:san_wink:

[GG]vD

12-23-2005, 20:03
I normally intend to play for an hour or two on the weekends, but usually play until my wife screams "Are you going to play that d*mn game all weekend?" So I respond "I just need to save." Then I play for another hour or so, because I tell her I can not save during battles. ha-ha

Mooks
12-24-2005, 21:49
Wow, Iv played for 24 hours straight at a freind's house, though not playing RTW.Aftwerwardds i got yelled at because I went through 3 12 pack of soda without noticing...I swear I never could remember drinking them, did it out of instinct I think.

But afterwards When I went outside (Had to come home eventually) I was BLIND!! I could look at the ground for to long, and couldnt look outside. Had to come home half-blind riding my bike for a mile and a half.

I.E his computer room was completely dark, and my freind was playing with me the entire time.

Uesugi Kenshin
12-24-2005, 22:30
Yeah, I once drank 11 or so bottled waters at a LAN party that was maybe 16 hours long. I remember drinking those though, and the numerous runs to the porcelain throne.

pezhetairoi
12-25-2005, 16:09
When I'm at home and not training in the army, I can play from wakeup to bedtime, which could be anywhere from 12 hours to 16.

Divinus Arma
12-26-2005, 23:46
I used to be able to play for 16+ hours straight. I don't have the time for that anymore. Now if I play for the entire day, I feel like it was a waste. In order to really justify playing, I neeed to do work at the same time. While working, I can now justify a four hour block of play time, but not much more.

Craterus
12-27-2005, 01:34
I won't start the game up unless I've got more than an hour spare.

Minimum: 1 hour
Maximum: I've been known to play for 10 hours, but it'd probably never be more than that.

Garvanko
12-27-2005, 02:56
I always tell myself I'll play for an hour, but end up getting totally sucked into the game---"Well, if I can take that city, then this will be a good stopping point---but I need to relieve that siege---If I get my elephants to Italy I'll stop there--well, let's try those elephants against Capua since I have them there, etc.etc.etc." Start at 7 PM figuring I'll play till 8 and next thing it's 2:30 AM. Haha, yeah i used to be like that. Rather than stopping after you take the city, why not stop before you take it i.e. Attack on the campaign map, save, and when you come back, the first thing you'll do is fight the battle on the battle map..

scorillo
12-28-2005, 17:56
i play RTW only fridays...about 6 hours.....much better than playing each day 1 hour

Monarch
12-31-2005, 18:12
Usually I get onemoreturnitus whilst playing....so I never really no how long I'm on for.

Reenk Roink
01-02-2006, 22:35
1-2 hours of gaming a day, and probably another 1 hour on the internet :2thumbsup:.

Slug For A Butt
01-03-2006, 02:06
I've got to say, this christmas has been great. Extra long holiday due to my accident just before christmas, and Oh Boy ! have I made the most of it...
Two weeks with nothing but beer, fags, food, BI, the occasional annoying mating call from the wife and a few pub calls.
Yup, I've played the game to death but I've still only been bothered to finish one campaign. Still love it though, flaws and all. :balloon2:

Ciaran
01-03-2006, 11:12
When I start there´s no telling when I´ll stop. If things go well for me, I can go on forever.But I tend to get easily frustrated and that can limit my time. MTW, hoever, is in my opinion an even greater time thief than Rome, maybe because of the boardgame style of the strategic map. It´s so damn easy to push some pieces about and then hit End Turn to see what happens...and before you know it you have three or four battles going on that need solving :oops:

Monarch
01-03-2006, 11:41
Well I usually play when I dont have much on, so it depends alot on how dull my life is :) Can be half and hour can be 4 hours.

Doug-Thompson
01-04-2006, 23:27
About an hour at a time anymore. This means a campaign game can take a longggg time.

I was much more prone to fall into a marathon session in Medieval: Total War. Frankly, this is becausse R:TW is a much more management-intensive game, especially with it's strategy map system. You're not just moving an army to a province. You're picking a spot on a river crossing or on the right hillside.

LestaT
01-05-2006, 11:56
When I was single and only seeing my girl on weekends (we live in different cities) I can go up to 12 hours on my off day nights (those time on MTW).

Nowadays on my off day / leave I sometimes play the whole day sin morning until my wife comes home (if she's working) though not all the time facing the monitor. Sometimes when I'm defending and AI stupid enough to attack me on the bridge , I just set up my army , run the game and go have lunch or whatever. After half an hour or so , I come back to the pc and see message 'do you continue' or 'end the game as all the enemies are routing.. Eheh..

Cheers...