PDA

View Full Version : The Celts are victorious

Tyrac
12-17-2005, 19:58
So this was a first for me. I am playing out my campaign and turning what looked like a sure defeat into a real possible.... well it was gonna be a long time before I was done. Anyway I get the pop up telling me I have been defeated by the Celts who apparently acheived their victory conditions and won the game. Could any AI faction do that at any time? All my other games have been me winning or the time running out. LOL

Dutch_guy
12-17-2005, 20:16
Well technically it should be possible for all the enemy factions to win before you do.

Never had this happen though, it seems to be quite rare.

How long did it take for the enemy to win ?

:balloon2:

Mouzafphaerre
12-17-2005, 20:40
It's really surprising seeing how AI does everything randomly. A very good example of AI genius of strategy was this little show that happened in my recent Frank campaign. A Berber army, (horde would be more descriptive) embarked on a ship, probably lost its way and ended up in Gaul. While there, they must have thought "hey, that large city surrounded with stone walls and garrisoned with a full stack of barbarians, with four units of axe throwing maniacs would be easy picking for our camel herders, why not? We might take some olive oil back home. So what if they are at war with our enemies? This is TotalWar!" and decided to become experience points for my Francisca Heerbannen.

The only time I saw someone proclaimed victorious was when I was editing the victory conditions and one of the factions had not been given proper targets yet --that is they had to do nothing and became victorious at the game start.

Antagonist
12-17-2005, 20:48
Didn't you get a message a while beforehand warning you that the Celts were close to achieving victory? I seem to remember getting that a few times, but I've never seen an AI faction actually win outright.

I'm especially surprised that it's the Celts, since in my campaigns (with the obvious exception of my Celtic campaign) they never seem to do anything - they create a large full-stack army and sit it just north of the Caledonian border for the entire game.

Antagonist

Tyrac
12-18-2005, 02:45
I looked with toggle_fow and the celts had taken vast sections of europe. I did not get any warnings. The year was about 415 give or take a few years. I am trying to decide if I should continue or not. Game is interesting atm but I would feel everything I do from this point on is sort of tainted as a true win cannot be achieved.

Slicendice
12-19-2005, 20:17
I had a similar game last week. The Celts had taken most of Western Europe. WRE was completely gone and my Sarmatians were in all of Italy and moving north and east. The Celts seized an opportunity to take rebel held cities (I made them rebel with my hordes) and the remaining Europeans tribes could do little since they were down to their last city and couldn't afford the army to break out. There were also 4 hordes running around Western Europe. Vandals, Goths, Huns, Franks, and the Visi-Goth's held all of Iberia and were moving into Gaul. I had the best production facilities (of course) in Ravenna and Rome so I was producing top troops. I also held Sicily and Sardinia and had used 1 spy and 1 assassin to push the Berbers out of Carthage so I could take it without starting a war with them. (not that it mattered since they had only 1 city left.)

This whole set up occurred (I think) because I was pushed out of my homeland--Vicus Sarmatae in an incredible night battle with the Huns. My 400 troops against their 3000 attackin at night. I killed 2500 of their men and routed the rest except a few Warlord Cavalry that charged in and finished me off. :(

Anyway I pushed all the way accross the mapp with my hordes (2) and sacked every city that was lightly defended and then ended up in Northern Italy. I barely was able to keep all the hordes from following me in but for the quick and strategic placement of a few fortifications.

Anyway in a few more turns I had all of ERE's holdings in Europe and then I took Kotais.

My homeland of Vicus Sarmatae came back to me several times but I had to let it because I couldn't support the army it gave me!

Viking
12-19-2005, 20:24
I wonder if they have done something with the Celts in 1.6. I started a Goth
campaign today, and the Celts wiped out the Romans and expanded on the european mainland. I never seen that before, but also the speed of their expansion was impressive.

Slicendice
12-19-2005, 23:45
I don't know. I haven't d/l 1.6 yet. I am going to right now though.

Paul Peru
12-19-2005, 23:47
They came at me in mainland Europe with a full stack in my current Saxon campaign, and then followed up with an army with 3 family members and several quality mercenary units.

Strange things do happen, I once saw the Berbers conquer most of the south and east.