PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted Saves

TinCow
01-03-2006, 14:43
I just got back from a long weekend trip and was looking forward to finishing the interesting campaign that I posted pics from in the Unusual Superpowers thread. Typically I find that both of my recent saves refuse to load. When the bar fills the game crashes to desktop. The only save from that game that will load is a good 70 turns back and there's no way I'm going to bother playing that. Is there any way to salvage such corrupted saves or will I just have to give it up and move on?

Orda Khan
01-03-2006, 17:50
I've not experienced this. How about the Autosave? There should be an Autosave near the last Savegame. You will have to go through your last turn but it should be close to where you want to restart

.......Orda

Red Harvest
01-03-2006, 18:48
Corrupted saves have been a historical feature or TW games. I have had very few of them in RTW, but part of that is my regimen to avoid them. I managed to get MTW to the point that I quit having corruptions in it.

If you can't get any recent saves or autosaves to load then you are probably out of luck.

What I learned with MTW to avoid corruptions:
1. Only save at the beginning of a turn. Saving at the middle or end of a long turn was prone to corruption (horrible about it late in the game.) I never had a save game corruption in MTW after doing this.
2. Make periodic saves with different names so that you don't have to go back more than a few years. This helps in situations like I have sometimes seen in RTW when a specific movement causes a CTD.
3. If the game is getting laggy, save with another name when you have an opportunity, then exit, reboot or restart (with RTW and WinXP you can wait several minutes for the memory leak to clear, then restart.) Lagginess is a memory issue, and it will probably result in a corruption if you let it happen for too long.

TinCow
01-03-2006, 19:44
The autosave is one of my two recent ones. I had a string of named saves, but it seems I forgot to do that the last day I played. Normally this wouldn't be so bad, but I played for about 6-8 hours that day and I only had autosave and quicksave to keep track of my progress. Ah well, I had beaten the tough part anyway.

Slug For A Butt
01-04-2006, 01:40
I have experienced corrupted autosaves too, but only when the game crashed as I hit "end turn". Apart from that, they've been fine for me.

SadOldGoth
01-04-2006, 17:31
Hi,
had quit a few problems with corrupted saves as well. I found that the last 6 - 8 saves didn't work anymore. Installed the v1.5 patch, after that the previously 'corrupted' saves were working again.
I guess it's more to do with some other files than the actual .sav files.

Give it a try and report back, hopefully this will help some other users as well.

SadOldGoth