PDA

View Full Version : A little help with Longbowmen and Caravels!

Wizardofthedribble
01-06-2006, 14:25
My friend stole my manual so I have no point of reference, but with respect to Longbowmen and Caravels (and I am guessing many other units) is there a date before which you can NOT build these units, even though you have the prerequisite buildings?

If not can someone tell my why I can't build either!

Thanks

Mr White
01-06-2006, 15:25
Caravels and Longbows (together with the whole chivalric line and xbows) can only be build from high (1205) and pikes and gothics only from late.

Wizardofthedribble
01-06-2006, 17:19
As expected. Many thanks.

The Stranger
01-06-2006, 18:57
just as gunners and cannons

some units like viking (i thought) longboats and varangian guards dissapear after a certain point has been passed

Wizardofthedribble
01-06-2006, 21:33
I was unclear because the Welsh start off with 3 longbowmen, so I thought you would be able to make them as well, only to be very disappointed when my Bowyer's Guild yielded no developments!!!

Seems a bit dumb to me that the Rebels can have them though and you can't(and that you can hire mercenary gunpowder units from the inn before gunpowder is invented!!....)

Martok
01-06-2006, 23:06
Wizard, are you playing MTW vanilla, or with Viking Invasion installed? And do you have the patch downloaded (either 1.1 for the original game or 2.01 for VI)?

Wizardofthedribble
01-07-2006, 19:09
MTW VI, with 1.1 installed I believe. Why? Does the patch work for VI?

Ludens
01-07-2006, 20:46
MTW VI, with 1.1 installed I believe. Why? Does the patch work for VI?
1.1 Shouldn't work for VI at all. It is for M:TW without the expansion. You need patch 2.01.

I think there was a problem with M:TW 1.0 that you could build all units in all era's.

ajaxfetish
01-09-2006, 04:23
If you want a few longbows earlier you can use an emissary to bribe those Welsh rebels and make them your own. That's the only way to have longbows before 1205. As mentioned, many other units also have time requirements (either times they can only be built after or only before). Another important one is halberds/swiss halbs/billmen and the entire Janissary line, both of which are only available after high.

Ajax

Martok
01-09-2006, 06:35
Ajax is correct, Wizard. You cannot build Longbows or Caravels before 1205, when the High Period starts.

Loucipher
01-12-2006, 11:27
A somewhat official and descriptive list of the era requirements introduced by the 1.1 patch of the original MTW is given on Activision Support Forums, here (http://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/activision.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=11081&p_created=1056405569&p_sid=fb8FupZh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTE2OCZwX3Byb2RzPTEsMjg0JnBfY2F0cz0 mcF9wdj0yLjI4NCZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0y&p_li=&p_topview=1).
Anyway, you can just view/edit the files called "CRUSADERS_UNIT_PROD11.TXT" and "VIKING_UNIT_PROD.TXT" in your game folder. More on that can be found in the Modding subforums, I guess ~:)

The Stranger
01-12-2006, 17:09
I was unclear because the Welsh start off with 3 longbowmen, so I thought you would be able to make them as well, only to be very disappointed when my Bowyer's Guild yielded no developments!!!

Seems a bit dumb to me that the Rebels can have them though and you can't(and that you can hire mercenary gunpowder units from the inn before gunpowder is invented!!....)

no it actually makes sense. the english copied it from the welsh so it makes sens that they have it earlier then the british and if m not mistaken longbowmen get bonusses when trained in wales

Wizardofthedribble
01-16-2006, 23:45
The welsh may have had them earlier, but the time difference is 130 years between them having them and the english! That definitely doesn't make sense, and what about the gunpowder units! Ah well, it's not important, was just gutted about my Bowyers Guild...

Papewaio
01-17-2006, 00:27
There is evidence that Longbows had been in use in Britain since at least 633 AD.

The so-called "English" longbow, instrumental to the victory at the battle of Agincourt in 1415, was first recorded as being used by the Welsh in 633 AD, when Offrid, the son of Edwin king of Northumbria was killed by an arrow fired from a Welsh longbow during a battle between the Welsh and the Mercians, more than five centuries before any record of its military use in England.