PDA

View Full Version : What did I miss?

son_pacho
01-10-2006, 17:18
First of all I'd just like to say I have been searching on this forum for almost a week now...so I did try to find answers...I know how forums get to new people asking questions that have already been asked...

It's obvious that I am missing something. Eventhough, I have read at least two posts that overtly suggest the Official Strategy Guide is...lacking...and the bulk of other posts hint to the same point, I will buy the Guide if it provides the answers I seek.

For the record this is my first TW game. I'm starting to think it was a mistake and that I would've had to play S:TW and/or M:TW prior to playing this.

BTW, this is my first time posting...Actually it is my second for some reason my first rant didn't post...

Anywho, here is what has me stuck. Like I said I've been searching through this site and others for about a week and it seems that each time I've searched the answer to one question I've discovered 10 more I never even thought to ask. Finally, I got fed up.

Here is a sample of a few of the types of questions I have:

*map info-what exactly is it? places I own or places I visit?

*exactly who gets the points for spying/diplomacy/etc-I read that a General gets certain trait increases for using diplomacy/spying/despoiler/etc...does the diplomat/spy have to travel with a particular general?

*how do you increase influence/management (i saw a post about this but I can't find it anymore)

*what effect if any does having troops in your territory have? I read how troops in/around the city drain resources

*are there any hints/suggestions about army size? besides simply "having less soldiers will get you command points"...I know that much. Is that all it is to armies? I have seen sites with diagrams, etc...but me being a newbie and all the thought of trying to maneuver all those troops with that squirrly camera is...not good...I saw a site that simply gave instructions to turn the camera off...I did it...I didnt see a difference

*do governors have to be in the capital to make babies, or will any city do?

*do sewers/etc effect fertility?

Essentially I am trying to find out about the nuances of the game. So any help would be appreciated. Or, do I just keep doing what I've been doing repeatedly trying to trick this forum into giving me back posts I know I've seen before?

symball
01-10-2006, 17:44
I would have a read through the strategy guides here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=78) rather than buying the official one. They are much more thorough and have some gems of advice that can really kickstart your campaign.

Edit: Ooops where are my manners- welcome to the forums

Monarch
01-10-2006, 21:16
First of all welcome to the forums. I you are correct, general consensus if that Prima Guide is poor, so much so mine was on order from Amazon but I cancelled it due to such bad press.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6110568/index.html?q=rome%20total%20war%20guide

I nice free, online guide for you.

But I suggest you play the tutorial if you havn't already, then start a quick short campaign while you learn the ropes. I learn whilst playing, set it all on easy so you can just concentrate on learning how stuff works.

InsaneApache
01-10-2006, 21:32
Yes, welcome. It will get better. Trust me.

son_pacho
01-10-2006, 22:58
But I suggest you play the tutorial if you havn't already, then start a quick short campaign while you learn the ropes. I learn whilst playing, set it all on easy so you can just concentrate on learning how stuff works.

Thank you, yes I did play the tutorial (didnt finish it though, was that a mistake?)

Once again, thank you for the reply. I played @20yrs of game time. I've started over a lot too. Usually I'll realize some huge mistake around the 10th yr of game time...lol

I...lol...hit the 50K marker...and found out afterward that that it is a bad thing...lol...

I can win most battles...most...lol...

Well now I know what to do and where to look...

two questions I'd really like answered and would be really helpful to me though (that I still havent found the answer to) are:

#1. How does a Governor/General get his benifits from diplomacy/spying?

-I understand that a Governor gets (+) increases for building with high taxes, etc. Does the Governor get points just for "recruiting" a spy/diplomat/assasin?
What about Generals? In 'On the breeding of Governors and Generals' the poster mentions that benifits are received for the use of (someone called them some kind of 'strategic' characters) diplomats/etc but not on how to use them to get the benifits.

In other words, if I have a general (walking...it's hypothetical) take a spy (who was recruited in Ariminum [Julii city]) with me to say...Scythia...and sent him to spy...and he spied all the way back to Rome...who gets the benifits? The recruiting Gov.? The General who sent him out? Both? Neither?

#2. If you have your OWN soldiers in your territory do they have an influence on your economy?

-I saw a post asking if it was a good idea to keep soldiers in cities, one of the replies made me think that there may be a negative effect on your economy by doing this. I KNOW enemy soldiers/rebels stand on and disrupt trade but what about your own

Papewaio
01-11-2006, 02:11
Welcome to the Org Son-Pacho :bow:

Your own soldiers will help keep your city happy... up to a point.

While having them in your region will help find and destroy rebels/enemies camping on your trade routes (which can be a big economic damper).

Not sure on point #1

Ludens
01-11-2006, 21:44
*map info-what exactly is it? places I own or places I visit?
The enemy gets to see what you see at the moment that the map info was traded. That includes line-of-sight of armies and diplomats (not sure about spies), but no areas out of your line-of-sight at that moment. It essentially tells your enemy the location of cities and who owns them.

*exactly who gets the points for spying/diplomacy/etc-I read that a General gets certain trait increases for using diplomacy/spying/despoiler/etc...does the diplomat/spy have to travel with a particular general?
Spies and assassins get points for succesfully carrying out missions, diplomats for engaging in diplomacy (whether succesful or not, it appears). Your governors get traits that give discounts on spies or assassins when they recruit them regularly. Your faction leader also gets these traits. In addition, regular use of spies gives your faction leader a chance on getting the spymaster retinue (discount on spies + command bonus) and can give him a political trait whose name I can't remember, but which increases influence.

*how do you increase influence/management (i saw a post about this but I can't find it anymore)
Management is hard, but the retinues from an academy building often help. Same for influence, but success on the field of battle also helps sometimes.

*what effect if any does having troops in your territory have? I read how troops in/around the city drain resources
No, though they still require upkeep. Better put them in the cities: they help keep population loyal. Enemy troops in your territory (or your troops in enemy territory) will start despoiling the landscape if they stay in the same location for one or two turns. This decreases farm income rather more than you would expect. They also intercept trade.

*are there any hints/suggestions about army size? besides simply "having less soldiers will get you command points"...I know that much. Is that all it is to armies? I have seen sites with diagrams, etc...but me being a newbie and all the thought of trying to maneuver all those troops with that squirrly camera is...not good...I saw a site that simply gave instructions to turn the camera off...I did it...I didnt see a difference
Read Frogbeastegg's and Divinus Arma (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=46099)'s guides. Also, the latests patches have made acquiring command stars much more difficult.

Battle is not just about numbers, but also about quality. Pay attention to the small red-green bar in the center of the pre-battle scroll: the more red it is, the more chance you have on getting good virtues and retinues (but the more difficult the battle will be). However, command stars do not have that much influence, so if you are not comfortable with the controls yet, I suggest you take as many troops as you think the enemy can muster, and a few more.

do governors have to be in the capital to make babies, or will any city do?
Any city will do, in fact they can even - ahem - procreate in the field. It is just more likely to happen in a city. (Apparently the women in the game don't like army camps. Can't blame them.)

do sewers/etc effect fertility?
No, though they do increase population growth.

Incidentally, the google search is not that good, but the forum also has an inbuilt-search function. You can find it at the top-right of each forum.

Welcome to the Org. ~:wave: