PDA

View Full Version : Want an opinion on using the Julii family

son_pacho
01-13-2006, 21:54
...at the beginning of the game (unmodded/unpatched) Flavius (Faction Leader) and Vibius (a son/not the heir) start off in the field...

...take Segesta...yada yada yada....

I usually make Vibius the Governor of the second city, which starts with Quintas as the Governor [he is my best Field Commander], and put the faction leader in the main city...sending the heir out with Quintas...

I just wanted an opinion on these moves. Does it even matter this early in the game?

Lanemerkel1
01-13-2006, 22:33
...at the beginning of the game (unmodded/unpatched) Flavius (Faction Leader) and Vibius (a son/not the heir) start off in the field...

I usually make Vibius the Governor of the second city, which starts with Quintas as the Governor [he is my best Field Commander], and put the faction leader in the main city...sending the heir out with Quintas...

I just wanted an opinion on these moves. Does it even matter this early in the game?

playing the gauls and all the barbarians can get tiresome dude

try the Brutii or the Scipii, at least then you get to play factions that are civilized

Monarch
01-14-2006, 12:31
playing the gauls and all the barbarians can get tiresome dude

try the Brutii or the Scipii, at least then you get to play factions that are civilized

Perhaps he already has played other two factions and is now trying Julii, or perhaps playing Barbars is fun for him. Also, you can play against civilised factions with Julii.

Anyway, shouldnt matter to much. Just make sure you have a stack capable of repelling a Gaul attack on your starter cities whilst you build up units to take Patavium and Mediolanium (sp?). You can take Segesta with your starter army probably.

From there, you can go east or west. Depending on if you want to take on the Gauls, or Macedon (east is more difficult as if you try it and are too slow, the Brutii will beat you there. But if you act quickly, you'll practically take the Brutii out of the civil war.)

Ciaran
01-14-2006, 13:12
Strictly speaking you can go just anywhere. In my first game (with the Julii, too), I went to Egypt, of all things after making the Gauls my protectorate. I canĀ“t remember why, but I did.

The Stranger
01-14-2006, 15:07
in the first unpatched game U used protectorates...they drained yur money didnt they.

professorspatula
01-14-2006, 18:15
After taking the first rebel settlement, try taking Sardinia from the Carthaginians. Also - take Carthage before the Scipii! It's a powerful settlement with strong growth and will give you a good place to launch further conquests in Africa - or should the situation warrant it - Sciliy. You should probably wait until the Scipii have weakened the Carthaginians first though. Don't worry too much about what exact moves to make. Just be wary of the strength of your enemy around you and make sure they are sufficiently weakened before stretching your resources too thin. The Gauls tend to weaken considerably once you take a few settlements from them, and then you should be coasting for a while.

Ciaran
01-14-2006, 19:41
in the first unpatched game U used protectorates...they drained yur money didnt they.
That was already after the 1.2 patch. I learned of RTW not until about a year ago.

son_pacho
01-18-2006, 17:20

Thank you, but what I really was trying to figure out is 'family management'...I've...skimmed...Frogbeasteggs' On the Breeding of Governors and Generals and was just wondering if it mattered who you sent out in the earliest stages of the game...

Ludens
01-18-2006, 20:29
Thank you, but what I really was trying to figure out is 'family management'...I've...skimmed...Frogbeasteggs' On the Breeding of Governors and Generals and was just wondering if it mattered who you sent out in the earliest stages of the game...
I usually let older family members run the cities while the younger ones get some experience on the battlefield, regardless of their actual capabilities. After all, war is an easy way to gain more positive traits. Lateron, new additions to my family first spend some time in a town with an academy and then go of to war. My faction heir is usually my main general, and younger family members go with him to get some fighting experience (against stacks to weak to bother my faction heir with) and to govern the towns he conquers for the first few turns. As they get older, they are relegated to manage prosperous or unruly cities. When the faction leader dies the new faction heir will become main commander while the new faction leader goes of to govern somewhere important. Also, during the entire game I keep shifting retinues, stripping the 55+ family members of their good ones and loading them with the bad or superfluous ones.

Indicentally, Frogbeastegg may be a terrific guide writer, but she didn't write On the Breeding of Governors and Generals.

Crian
01-20-2006, 06:32
I suggest stripping your faction leader of his ancillaries (can't remember), giving them to someone else, and sending your faction heir to do the fighting. I personally follow a general rule of letting the old men govern while the youth improve themselves. Fight... this is an excellent way of getting good traits and make sure the general always gets his hands dirty in the battle. Getting traits like Victor, local Hero, Bloody (though this could become sanguinary), and others like those that increase command stars, soldiers' morale, influence, hitpoints, etc. After a few years or less, your campaigning general would have gotten 5+ command stars and influence. Then putting him in a place with an academy afterwards could get him the sufficient numbers of management scrolls either through learning ie. Philosophically inclined, Smart, etc., or ancillaries (Librarian, Mathematician, etc.). :2thumbsup:

By this time, your old faction leader would have died, and your now extremely talented heir can take over his place. Do the same training with your next faction heir, and don't forget to transfer ancillaries. As for your other family members that aren't heirs, use them to fight rebels/small skirmishes so that they gain some command and influence as well, and also put them in a place with an academy so they could get +management traits and ancillaries. Hope this helps. :bow: