PDA

View Full Version : City garrison and egypt towers question

Archer
01-14-2006, 23:13
Does the type of troops you have in your city garrison affect the public order? For example does a unit of town watch (40 men) provide the same effects as a unit of cohort with 41 men?

Also what type of siege towers do the egyptians have? My men were on the wall defending and they were being blasted with some kind of rockets or something coming from the egyptian towers as they rolled up to the city!

Oaty
01-15-2006, 04:17
As far as garrison(RTW) numbers only matter over quality. So basically peasants are more cost effective and the best for use in garrisons as long as the city is not in threat of a siege.

As far as the towers, the higher the level of your city wall the better siege towers the enemy will get when assaulting.

I believe this is how Siege towers work for basic stonewall they get basic archers on the tower/ for large stonewall they get ballistas/ for an epic stonewall they either fire repeating ballistas or scorpions.

shadowarmy75
01-15-2006, 17:07
In 1.5/1.6 the effectiveness of peasants as garrisons have been reduced by 1/3.

teja
01-15-2006, 17:22
As far as garrison(RTW) numbers only matter over quality. So basically peasants are more cost effective and the best for use in garrisons as long as the city is not in threat of a siege.

Quoted for truth. The quality is only a smaller part of these affects. However some times it may be the difference.
I took a city of the Goths with my Sassanids. Because of cultural and religious penaltys the citys loyality was close to rebel. I could keep order while filling the garrison with units of 120 men each. Only peasants but 3 units with ugly searmen. I worked on religion with my charakters traits and wanted to destroy the pagan temple later and build zaroastian buildings. Due this the loyality dropped a bit too. Because my spearman had experience 3 and silver shields I replaced them with peasants (also 120 men each), because I wanted to spare my better units from city fights with rioting cityfolks. It made quite a difference. My loyality dropped from 65 % to 60 %.

However I did it anyways and uprising population killed some of my peasants, but I kept the town in my hands. One tick later I reestablished order at 100 % after I changed religion there as planned. I am not sure if the streetfights had happend when the loyality had been at 65 % instead of 60 %. It doesn't matter, because it was easy to replace poor peasants, while I was far away of any city in which I would have been able to replace my spearman without armoury- or experience- penalties. I lost ~350 men during those rioting.

You can always rise loyality in a newly occupied city, when you start to recruit peasants there in two ways:

1st Actual population will decrease (transforming population into your soldiers)
2nd After the tick you will have another unit that helps to keep order.

Later in the game with very big cities I recruit the garrisons of newly occupied cities as much as I can with local, or adjecting recruited peasants. This way I marched with my Sassanids through 4 balkan provinces in only 3 years. I had one great army, supported by fleet carried siege equippment followed by some stacks of peasants to keep the cities order. Those peasants I rose at newly recruited cities which is cheap.
Yes, I outnumbered the enemy by far, but not with my field army which was build by elite units only.