PDA

View Full Version : XL or BKB?

Mr White
01-15-2006, 11:39
I'll get VI next week or the week after and I can't wait to play. I will of course install a mod (after getting a taste of the Vikings). After reviewing all the mods I'm left with XL and BKB supermod. I wanted to pick BKB as they have the Flemish in it (I'm Flemish) and XL hasn't but after reading the BKB thread I'm more hesitant. I admit I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if improvements were made but it seems that it has some annoying bugs and is quite a hassle to get it to work properly.

So what I'm asking is:
1) Which mod do you prefer and why?
2) Was what I read about the BKB supermod about the beta version and has it been fixed?
3) What are the major downsides of both the mods?

Thanks in advance for your help

Mithrandir
01-15-2006, 14:27
Forward Notice:

No Mod bashing!

Anyone not posting accordingly will get a warning.

Mr.White, so a search on this forum for both mods, there are a lot of threads on them already :).

The Blind King of Bohemia
01-15-2006, 15:09
I admit I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if improvements were made but it seems that it has some annoying bugs and is quite a hassle to get it to work properly.

The mod is easy to work but individuals have problems installing it. Its not really my problem as its got nothing to do with the mod. Plus its a huge thread, so if you only read the first few pages you will have been reading stuff from late 2003, and a LOT changed since then.

Third spearman from the left
01-15-2006, 16:22
This is easy.....play both mods and choose the one you like best! Both are very different but have different appeals. Both mods have had so much work put into them and it's silly to try and put one above the other.

So my advice is just enjoy the hard work of both mods, thanks to these guys we can keep playing new mtw adventures. :2thumbsup:

NodachiSam
01-15-2006, 18:47
I like XL and it allows me to play vanilla campaigns if I want but I want to try BKB and only have so much space left on my comp. Does anyone know if XL and BKB Super can share one installation and Vanilla be spared (or not)?

VikingHorde
01-15-2006, 19:56
I like XL and it allows me to play vanilla campaigns if I want but I want to try BKB and only have so much space left on my comp. Does anyone know if XL and BKB Super can share one installation and Vanilla be spared (or not)?
No, sadly they can't. You will need two installs in order to have both mods, so it will take a lot of space on your harddrive.

Paul Peru
01-15-2006, 20:17
I can't be of much help, I love both and still have both of them installed.
I can tell you that BKB's mod is working just fine, at least it has for me, and I've played it a lot.
I always hate it when someone bashes either one of these mods, so I'm glad that's not going to happen in this thread :2thumbsup:

Mr White
01-15-2006, 22:59
I have been on this forum for some months now and I have heard nothing but good things about both mods, so I wasn't looking for the superiority of one to another or saying that they weren't amasing.

BKB I'm sorry if I made the impression that I dislike your mod or that I think you did a bad job. I'm very greatful that people like you take an effort to make the game for us that much more fun. I can't stress it enough that we can't take these efforts for granted. I should've known that the problems on the first pages have been dealt with so I appologise again.

The fact that I started this thread was because I only have limited playing time so I don't have the opportunity to test them both. I was just looking for their strong points and their weaknesses (if they have them) so I could make up my mind which one to play. I see the danger in this and if I was one of the mod developers I wouldn't want that someone bashed my hard work either.

For this reason I don't want anybody to compare both the mods in this thread. Although I would like the thread to stay open for now so BKB can read my appology

Thank you

01-16-2006, 00:34
No problem mate seriously, nothing to apologize over. I can see how you got that impression about the bugs but unfortunately most big mods have problems and if people report them hopefully I can amend them.

If you do decide to install it please though follow the instructions closely as this is one problems can arise. Let me know if you have any problems.

Again mate, please, there's nothing to be sorry about.

Mr White
01-16-2006, 11:56
I will instal the BKB mod and those instructions you're talking about are the ones in the first post right?

Odin
01-16-2006, 13:03
So what I'm asking is:
2) Was what I read about the BKB supermod about the beta version and has it been fixed?

I prefer XL because of the concept that has been employed. Land = power/money. In vanilla TW you can build a vast trade empire with any nation, in XL you need to have land to attain wealth and power, in my opinion thats how it should be.

I dont see any major downside to XL, the downsides are inherent in the MTW mechanics already (lack of a robust diplomacy model comes to mind). XL gives you more and its a fine mod.

I cant answer the BKB questions as I have never played it, from what I have read here on the boards its a fine mod worthy of try for sure.

Legorreto
01-16-2006, 17:17
Mr White:

Personally I have downloaded and played with XL. Although I haven't got the chance of playing BKB (which I'll eventually try later on) I can tell you that VikingHorde's XL Mod is a superior class Mod. The addition of new factions and provinces, the improvements of the units and even the new logo it self gives a new face to the game.

I used to play lots with the VI before installing XL, I played almost all factions in it, and really enjoyed a lot. Specially Vikings, they a re a great faction and fairly easy to play with.

I read about the XL, and although I am not too confident about downloading things to my PC, I can tell you this Mod works perfectly well on mine and I have yet not have any problems at all. I am playing as Almohads right now and I am enjoying the game a lot with the new units and the new provinces which you wouldn't find in the Vanilla version.

One thing that I did considered before downloading is the size of the Mod files. The XL Short Version is about 28 MB and I have a dial up connection, so it would take ages to download the Large version (of about 140 MB) or the BKB (I don't remember the size of it) but larger one.

Once again, I have not tried BKB, and I am sure it has it's own charm, but XL is my favorite so far.

Anyway, enjoy the plain VI before using XL, you will like it very much.

ajaxfetish
01-17-2006, 17:30
I haven't played BKB's supermod so I only know half of the story, but from what I've heard BKB has more new material while XL is a little more user-friendly. They've also gone somewhat different directions in deciding what new factions and units to provide, and in setting up the game economics. Both are fantastic mods, but they emphasize different aspects of the game so they've got different strengths. ~:yin-yang:

I think it's fantastic we have such a great modding community to provide us with not only great mods, but great options to choose from. There's also WesW's MedMod with yet another different take on standard M:TW (stressing the importance of your core home provinces), plus several themed mods if you want to play in another time period. It's like having a whole slew of free expansions to choose from! Thanks, guys!! :2thumbsup:

Ajax

Mr White
01-17-2006, 19:09
well I know the XL mod revolves around the possession of land: more land = more income. What is the angle for BKB mod as the trade has also been downsized?

01-18-2006, 00:08
I think if anything trade is boosted in mine, as is land value. More ways to make money have been incorporated through new commercial buildings. Its more about being able to get more money, as revenue equals power for me, and there are many ways for you to go about this. The way I see it is more money hopefully means more prosperity which hopefully means more fighting/expanding and less stagnancy. And factions like the HRE need that large income to support their unit costs and be able to defend themselves and expand.

Roark
01-18-2006, 00:45
New buildings? Awesome...

Could I be a pain in the arse and ask if there is a general write-up for BKB mod floating around? Like, a PR blurb or something?

01-18-2006, 13:38
The best I can do in that respect is to guide you to the first page of the BKB Super Mod thread in the Engineers Guild, where I've listed the main points. If you need a link LMK.

hlawrenc
01-18-2006, 15:52
Concerning the two mods I enjoy both of them tremendously, each one has its own unique flavor and a lot of times just depends on my mood as to which mod I choose to play. A lot of respect for XL, BKB and Med Mod creators.

I do have a question however concerning BKB, installed it not long ago and find the tremendous number of new units a lot of fun, almost overwhelming deciding which ones to try out, question is:

I started playing the Byz but have found in early I can't move my armies around the Black Sea by ship although I have ports, nor can I move ships into the Black Sea. There are no enemy fleets in any adjacent sea regions either. Obviously a big problem for by Byz fcommander trying to get a stack from Serbia to Georgia without having to spend 5 years route marching overland. I have ships in all sea regions, ports built, no enemy fleets etc. Do not have the problem moving forces by sea from say Serbia to Antioch or any other coastal region I own, it just is around the Black Sea.

Has anyone else had this problem or is it something about the way I installed it? Any help would be appreciated.

Geezer57
01-18-2006, 16:25
I do have a question however concerning BKB, installed it not long ago and find the tremendous number of new units a lot of fun, almost overwhelming deciding which ones to try out, question is:

I started playing the Byz but have found in early I can't move my armies around the Black Sea by ship although I have ports, nor can I move ships into the Black Sea. There are no enemy fleets in any adjacent sea regions either. Obviously a big problem for by Byz fcommander trying to get a stack from Serbia to Georgia without having to spend 5 years route marching overland. I have ships in all sea regions, ports built, no enemy fleets etc. Do not have the problem moving forces by sea from say Serbia to Antioch or any other coastal region I own, it just is around the Black Sea.

Has anyone else had this problem or is it something about the way I installed it? Any help would be appreciated.
In my current BKB/Seljuk (Turk)/Early/Expert campaign, with ship control in all sea areas, my troops have no problem moving by sea from Georgia or Trebizond on the Black sea to anywhere else on the map. Sounds to me like you either have a bad install or a corrupted save game file, as the mod itself seems pretty free of major bugs.

Geezer57
01-18-2006, 19:39
So what I'm asking is:

I play both mods regularly and love them both. My recommendation for you, as someone unfamiliar with mods, would be to start with XL and explore it fully before moving on to BKB. The reason: BKB incorporates many new buildings which affect the Tech Tree drastically, resulting in a more complex learning experience. You'll have to get used to lots of new units in either mod, plus farming and trade changes, etc., but think you'll have an easier time of it at first without all the new buildings and their associated effects.

Keep in mind that both mods reside permanently on my hard drive, and I'm having a great time in my current BKB mod Seljuk (Turk) campaign. Both are absolutely great efforts, and well worth your time and interest.

Which brings up the only major downside I've found in these mods: the time you'll spend playing them! Be prepared to spend many, many hours in front of your monitor before you're through with them! :laugh4:

01-18-2006, 19:43

You got the patch installed mate? Because I think it amended a lot of the sea problems.

Mr White
01-19-2006, 09:25
BKB incorporates many new buildings which affect the Tech Tree drastically, resulting in a more complex learning experience.

I have no problem with that as long as there's a tech tree out there whith all the changes on it.

Besides thanks for all the replies (VI just dropped in my mailbox this cery instant :2thumbsup: but I won't be able to play as I am still in the middle of my exams:wall: ).