PDA

View Full Version : (spear)weapon that the finns used?

Andy Shadows
01-16-2006, 13:32
Hi!

Since many of you know something about history, could some of you remember the name of the spears that finns used: it was a spear that had hooks in it's blade. I remember reading about this spear from some historybooks but cannot remember what it was called. Is there a english name for this spear too? Was it used by others that finns?

Thanks

Colhir
01-16-2006, 13:36
wasnt it the halberd? thats like a spear with a hook on the end.
i think what your on about with the English are the billmen. they'repretty much the same as the halberd. other wise the english name for a spear is "spear":book:

Andy Shadows
01-16-2006, 13:37
No no.. It was a simple thrustin spear with multiple hooks at the other bladed side of the spear

matteus the inbred
01-16-2006, 13:55
there are several medieval weapons that incorporate hooks on the back edge of the blade -

fauchard (modified form)...a big sickle or scythe type thing which later included hooked blade(s) on the back

a guisarme (modified - a glaive gisarme, bill-gisarme etc.) which was a bill blade with hooks...see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Pole_weapons

your Finnish thing might be here although i don't see any specifically Finnish names. it could just have been a fishing spear, which would have hooks or barbs on it to prevent the fish from slipping off the blade.

Andy Shadows
01-16-2006, 14:44
Hmm.. It's not like guisarme either.. I think the weapon im looking for is pre-middleage weapon. I think it has about four hooks at the side.

Watchman
01-16-2006, 19:19
Can't say I've ever heard of it, and I'm a Finn and a military history buff. AFAIK the pre-Medieval Iron Age (rated as part of "Prehistory" in the local context as there's no written sources) weaponry here was little different from that of the Scandinavians across the sea - various kinds of basic fighting spears, javelins, bows, axes and swords for the rich and powerful who could afford such expensive and prestigious imports.

Andy Shadows
01-17-2006, 10:34
Hmm.. that's strange. I guess I have to get that book someday and figure out.