PDA

View Full Version : Family members - only girls!

Manalainen
01-20-2006, 07:15
Hi

I am a new member but I have been reading this forum for some years.

I know that roman factions have sometimes problems having new family members. But in my Brutii campaing the problem is that all I get is daughters. I have nothing against women but now my youngest general is 35 :wall:

In the very beginning I had a bunch of decent generals and had a few new ones but now all I get is girls. There are seven or eight girls that are younger than my youngest general. I've killed all the greeks, most of the macedonians and now fighting with the pontus. I will soon run out of commanders. What to do :help:

Those damned daughters of my generals won't even get married!!! :furious3:

-V-

Zalmoxis
01-20-2006, 07:20
Usually they get asked to marry somebody. Just hope for the best, si all I can say.

Martok
01-20-2006, 09:27
Continue sending your armies into battles, but leave your Generals at home so that the victory goes to the lowly Captain in charge. After he gets 2-3 victories under his belt, you'll usually get the opportunity to adopt the Captain into your family--thus turning him into a General. It's not a foolproof tactic, but in my experience it was still a pretty effective one. :2thumbsup: I strongly recommend giving it a try!

Manalainen
01-20-2006, 09:41
Thank you for a good tip Martok. Using captains and a lot of diplomats bribing enemy generals is probably the only way out of this mess.

I'am still quite interested to know if anyone else has encountered this kind of problem. What is the mechanic behind birth of a new family member? Traits affect the ability (fertile and the one I can't remember now) to have children but what defines sex of the offspring? Is it just 50/50 and I have been unfortunate enough to get the shortest straw for seven consecutive times? :shrug:

Ludens
01-20-2006, 15:37
The number of male family members is dependent on the number of cities you have. You tend to have (on average) one family member per two or three cities. If you haven't conquered a lot, the game does not see the need to expand your family. Maybe this is what causes your problems? However, I cannot explain the abnormal amount of girls, though.

Welcome to the Org, ~:wave: .

Ciaran
01-20-2006, 15:44
I find it hard to run out of family members (male ones, that is) because the game will automatically give you some when you run low. It may have something to do with the number of cities you control. In some incomplete mod campaigns you start out with a leader and a couple of cities and you automatically get adoption offers for a few turns, filling up your staff. Perhaps your region threshold is still too low for new males, but they´ll come, no worries. It´s almost impossible to loose the game due to family eradication, unless you loose all your males in one single turn. I´ve tried to do it with another faction, using assasins, it won´t work. If the whole family isn´t eradicated in one turn, there will be new males.

dkdnt
01-20-2006, 16:43
i also had problems with fa,ily members. in vanilla rtw there is allways a need for one more general, especialy in beggining, when u have only f.leader and few sons or daughters. later i allways was in need of bribing generals(once i even gave 300000 for a general, becouse he was in some city). i rarely use family members as generals, i find better use for them as governors, cuz in that case i need smaller army to suport good public order.

what was that with promotion of captains? it happened few times, but never more than one per game. is realy enough to use one captain in few battles to adopt him? i have a bunch of high xp units, and this happens just once? what is problem?

gardibolt
01-20-2006, 20:28
You can get promotions of captains to family members if you have fewer than roughly 2/3 the number of male family members to the number of cities you control. If you've been expanding but not breeding, you're more likely to get these promotions. But if you haven't been expanding your empire, they're not likely to occur. The game encourages aggressiveness in many ways, and this is one of them.

dkdnt
01-20-2006, 22:16
so that the catch. i allways try to have as many family members as cities, but so im rarely short for some, spending lot of money for that purpose. a tought that you were saying how, no matter of numbers of your f.members, highg xp captain can be adopted.

Upxl
01-28-2006, 12:43
Must say I can relate to this particular problem.

When I’m playing with (for example)the Julii faction, I try to keep the bloodline Jullii.
This is proving very hard to accomplish because you get so many girls ascendants.
Nothing against girls,(their even better because you choose who they marry) but they don’t carry on the family name.
If I don’t interfere the jullii name is going for extinction.

How can you interfere?

I find that a fertile general has more change getting male ascendants then a standard one.(Could be wrong about this)

How to make them fertile?
Most factions have temples for this.
For example: With the Jullii it’s the Ceres temple.
Just keep the governor in the city with the fertility temple, and after a few turns he’ll get the fertile trait(most of the time).

Another option is to save before you end you’re turn.
That way you can load when you get one of those female things.
This is not a favorite option of mine, its almost kind a cheating.
But if you want to keep the bloodline “pure” this is a very good way to do it.

If anybody has any hints on the subject ,feel free to share them with the group.