PDA

View Full Version : Julii vs Germainia

Colhir
01-20-2006, 15:53
hello, im having trouble beating the germans playing as the julii. my normal battle tactic is engage them from the front with velites and Roman archers. Keeping them occupied untill my cavalry move round them and charge them in the rear. this does work if both armies are about the same strength but if they out number me i have no chance. i've tried concentrating my attacks on one flank and breaking them but before i can the other flank has moved into position to attack me.

so any hints/tips for beatin the germans?

cheers..

LordElrond
01-20-2006, 20:34
You engage from the front with only archers and velites?? Try using some soldiers that are actually meant for mellee. That may improve your chances a bit.

Colhir
01-20-2006, 21:21
no no no, thats not what i meat, i mean, i stand infront of them throwing or shooting at them thinning them out for my cavalry charge. and if i charge with proper fighting troops they get butchered coz of the spears. now any real ideas/tactics?

Watchman
01-20-2006, 22:35
Ah, phalanx trouble in other words. Phalanxes are nasty from the front. Try to shoot them up to the best of your ability (shooting from their weapon-hand side, where the shield bonus doesn't apply, helps - fast skirmishers are good for this), throw the pila, and pin them from the front with infantry while cavalry (or lacking that, infantry) smashes their flank.

That's the basic approach. Here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=59788) is a thread on the topic - the German phalanx is kinda like the Greek one, except not as well armoured but with a lot better variety of flank support.

Colhir
01-21-2006, 02:28
ah thanks.:2thumbsup:

KrooK
01-21-2006, 02:40
Best option is deploying some pricipes (i understand you don't have marius reforms yet) and order them hold position and turn on pilums. They should be in the centre of formation. At flank there should be triatrii, cav and some archers.
Don't waste archers on phalanx - kill axemen, warriors, and bersekers. If they have strong cav - use triatrii. If they don't have- flank them with triatrii and cav. German phalanx is very weak - when you thow pilums and flank it (units throwing pilums must stay in place and hold position) - probably run without fight.
gl hf m8:2thumbsup: