PDA

View Full Version : Rome TW 2 on MTW2

PROMETHEUS
01-20-2006, 19:27
Who is interested in forming a team to regain RTW with MTW2?

Ilsamir Lord
01-21-2006, 08:27
Interesting idea indeed! I hope that the engine will allow for testudo and phalanxes etc.

I think this could be successful considering that the engine is the same. I just hope you use nicer skins than R:TW vanilla's.

Best of luck! I hope that the engine is found to be compatible, and that the campaign map is at least as flexible as R:TW's!

Monarch
01-21-2006, 15:46
Dont know about testudo, but I believe I saw a phalanx formation on a screenshot.

KonstantinosXI
01-24-2006, 20:23
Me i would be surely interested!

Lentonius
01-24-2006, 20:25
there will certainly be something similar to phalanx, like the pike formations they had. i predict that it will require animation modding but it will be similar enought to mod.

tutankamon
01-25-2006, 16:55
great Idea I'm in :2thumbsup:

Lentonius
01-25-2006, 16:58
Im in if it is historically accurate:2thumbsup:

Sundjata Keita
01-25-2006, 19:06
I've had enough of playing roman units but if you can make it all work with improved graphics and better/fixed gameplay from the original RTW (shouldn't be hard ~;)) then I'll certainly play it.

tutankamon
01-29-2006, 15:43
Yeah offcourse it has to be historically right... and with the new grahics motor it's gonna be even easier to make correct gaul and other barbarian hordes :2thumbsup:

dark_shadow89
02-01-2006, 06:28
I'm with you Prom. Any PR help or historically accurate diagrams of various troops of the era (I have a large collection of Osprey Book Scans), I'd be glad to provide it. As MTW2 will not be out until the end of this year probably, I will've finished High School, and will have plenty of free time (4 months' worth).

pyradyn
02-01-2006, 06:36
I would love to see the barbarian units less "organized" and start to be a mix of diffrently armed men. Good Idea PROMETHEUS

PROMETHEUS
02-01-2006, 21:03
Well great , the problem is Will be MTW2 be enough moddable? the main problem I see is the conversion of the buildings , but since I have seen some wonderfull stuff on a preview of a magazine like a superfortress adapted to the hilltop this makes me think that we will be finally able to make proper fortresses , roman camps , barbarian villages etc.....

the other problem is that I cannot do it alone and I need professional volunteers that are able to work with 3dsmax , photoshop and scripting the game ..... and of course I hope Vercingetorix will help us with his tools for MTW2 too ....

^^

DarKorg
02-03-2006, 11:44
When I'm done with Jidai No Ran's, just let me know if you need a website once - if - you get your mod started. Still some many months...if not a year away.

dark_shadow89
02-03-2006, 12:30
Well, MTW2 certainly cant be LESS modder friendly than RTW...

PROMETHEUS
02-09-2006, 18:03
I hope so , the big problem will be how they are managing cultures and missions , so that Senate missions can be placed again , or how they are implementing scripts so that we don't have to make hyperjumps to understand how this works or how to make them effectively work fluidly without needing tricks....

harookitei
02-10-2006, 07:37
I would rather see a MTW2 mod that looks more like RTR than vanilla RTW.. because the Senate really :furious3: me off. I think that it should be only one Roman faction, like in RTR.

Otherwise, great idea Prom!

PROMETHEUS
02-10-2006, 09:33
If possible I would like to have a solution like the one we are tring to implement in Res Gestae ..... one roman faction wich is actually the senate that gives directives of missions at beginning and a rebellion on triggers after a certain date of more roman factions to simulate civil war.....

PROMETHEUS
02-20-2006, 09:24
Not many others interested he?

tutankamon
02-20-2006, 12:11
Not many others interested he?

:oops: :wall: Sorry for not responding... was rather busy.. but I like your idea, it sounds plausible to me

PROMETHEUS
02-20-2006, 13:42
The first step into a full conversion to rome should be to make the cultures and building works to me , is easy to make new units , but make proper looking buildings and especially convert them isn't an easy and rapid task .....

something like this should need a very well tested group of people to work on that project....

lt1956
02-22-2006, 09:11
Personally I think we should all wait before making mod teams to port RTW to M2, for one thing we know nothing of the serious changes or PROBLEMS with M2, yet it has some nice features, but I am SURE several things will be impossible to port over for it, namely the Turtle or possible Phalanx formations. I think until we get the game IN OUR HANDS its premature to see of what use M2 is to use on the RTW side.

It may have worse modding ability than RTW for all we know and only god and CA knows how many new bugs!

Lt1956

dark_shadow89
02-22-2006, 09:49
I think any actual MODDING, apart from maybe the music, should be left until MTW2 is actually out. That way, we will know EXACTLY what we're facing in terms of file types, moddability, etc. ATM, I think that only research, design, and concept art can be done - the planning step, which could potentially save a month or two?

Kagemusha
02-22-2006, 14:37
Only thing im certain of is that becouse MTW2 has many different models per unit making a full conversion mod to it will take lot more modelling and skinning work force then a full conversion of RTW/BI.And when you have more modellers you need more Historians to feed the modellers and skinners with info.So the teams have to grow, or the time it takes to make a major mod to it will grow too long and there might be a new Totalwar game out before any mods are finished.
Thats my 5 cents anyway.:bow:

NagatsukaShumi
02-25-2006, 02:51
To be fair PROM I can see why your getting in early here.

For now your best off researching, building a tech tree and faction lay out as theres not too much you can really do until atleast the demo is released.

With Medieval Auctoriso we are going about this the same way (Though granted we are having trouble finding some staff with modding skills as theres clearly a shortage) and I think the planning whilst waiting if the best way forward.

Atleast if you get all the research and idea's done before its release you'll be much better equipped to make an assault on the MTW2 engine to incorporate a Rome MOD.

tutankamon
03-09-2006, 20:21
When do you guess plan to start? and would you need any archaeological help.. I have a lot of Data and Knowledge on this period... so if you could use my help then please let me know

PROMETHEUS
03-15-2006, 00:21
The data isn't a problem , after rome I have my HD full of scans of everything , but the problem is to get proper buildings in game , only a team work could allow Rome to be back on MTW2 screens , unless CA goes for a Rome TW 2 , the buildings will be the mayor part , the units won't be , this is becouse all mods focus on units instead then on focusiong on the background, the result? Is than many mods stop becouse they are lacking the background and have only units ....

shifty157
03-23-2006, 23:00
Id be up for it. Id say im a good modeler although im not a very good skinner.

Show me what you want and ill model it.

PROMETHEUS
03-26-2006, 10:35
Buildings in general , but the problem is , I have recently heard that there will be a Rome 2 after MTW 2 ..... so it could be completed befoure we even releae a mod over it .... is this still worth ?

Dooz
03-26-2006, 11:29
Buildings in general , but the problem is , I have recently heard that there will be a Rome 2 after MTW 2 ..... so it could be completed befoure we even releae a mod over it .... is this still worth ?

Where have you heard about RTW2? What have you heard?

shifty157
03-26-2006, 17:51

I have not heard anything suggesting this. As well I highly doubt that CA would release two games without upgrading the engine. If we look historically, CA releases a new game about every two years. Two years is plenty of time to mod a game.

I think the big thing we need to know is how moddable M2TW is and how many polygons it is using on average. Remember it took over a year for us to figure out how to put new buildings into RTW. Even if M2TW comes with modding tools (which doesnt seem incredibly likely) we dont know to how many polygons we should limit our models. From screenshots of units, they seem to have about twice as many but thats just a guess. We have no idea about buildings.