PDA

View Full Version : death of alexander

VAE VICTUS
01-25-2006, 07:36
is their any substantial evidence that alexander was poisoned by cassander or anyone of his generals?books always mention it, but none that i have read carry any real detail into the matter.
thanx
VV

nokhor
01-25-2006, 12:58
i haven't come across any proof of poisoning other than the propaganda put forward by various diadochi. the most reasonable explanation i have found is that when he was wounded in the malian town, he probably suffered internal bleeding from a punctured lung. and the drinking binge in babylon aggravated it.

Kraxis
01-25-2006, 14:27
But the symptoms are pretty consistent with a poisinous plant, I can't remember which. Also, the story put forward clearly has the author scratching his head as he just can't seem to put the evidence together that it was 'merely' a fever (as in normal illness).

In any case we don't know, but we do know that Kassander was not Alexander's best friend, having riled against him several times. And if I'm not wrong he was also pretty upset about Cleitos' death, and eventually he killed both Roxanna and Alexander's son.

Also, you can't put it off that his generals simply didn't want to go to war in the same way any more. Sure war they 'liked' but not in the way of Alexander, and I think the trek through the Gedrosian desert really alienated a lot of them, so when he proposed attacking Arabia and it's vast desert they could likely have said "no way! Let's get rid of him."

But in the end it is up to you to formulate what you want to be true as the evidence is simply too scarce. And with Alexander's body gone we can't know anything for sure.

Lentonius
01-25-2006, 17:23
his resting place is also shrouded in many mysteries, and without no body left we cannot say anything for certain.

However probably the most proven theory is that when he sailed on the marshes of the euphrates near babylon, malaria was very common there. One evening he was invited to a drinking party, and while he was drinking he suffered a pain in his chest 'as if he had been pierced by an arrow or a spear'. For a few days he continued to bathe, sleep and drink normally but he developed a fever hereafter and his health rapidly declined...

Craterus
01-26-2006, 23:31
I thought typhoid was the usual theory?

Alexanderofmacedon
01-28-2006, 23:11
^

Same

Oaty
01-29-2006, 20:27
West Nile Virus.