PDA

View Full Version : The Tutorial campaign?

The Blind King of Bohemia
01-25-2006, 14:18
Does anybody have views/ideas what it might be? I think it will be an English one, probably just after the Normans have defeated Harold at Hastings, maybe supress the remants of the Saxon threat, Hereward the Wake, Danish involment and others or maybe a small campaign against the Scots.

zakalwe
01-25-2006, 14:38
yeah probably. it fits well.

after hastings you have to manage london and build some troops, go out and attack some saxon rebels, then go and besiege a town to the north. by the time you've finished the tutorial you're up to 1080 with a fully formed English faction.

makes sense

boastj
01-25-2006, 14:46
they better show us how to crusade unless its just a case of moving your army there

Trajanus
01-26-2006, 08:51
OT:Crusading will not be the same as in MTW. I think they are changing it to more of an event offered by the Pope, so no more Chapter Houses.

It makes sense to offer an English tutorial campaign, nothing to drastic or overwhelming, but enough to show us what we are doing. From all accounts this game will be a hybrid of RTW and MTW plus even more extra features and new ideas. Its gonna be a new learning curve for all of us like RTW was.

sapi
01-26-2006, 08:55
OT:Crusading will not be the same as in MTW. I think they are changing it to more of an event offered by the Pope, so no more Chapter Houses.

It makes sense to offer an English tutorial campaign, nothing to drastic or overwhelming, but enough to show us what we are doing. From all accounts this game will be a hybrid of RTW and MTW plus even more extra features and new ideas. Its gonna be a new learning curve for all of us like RTW was.I hope it can be skipped when you wish, though, like the rtw one...

Dooz
01-26-2006, 13:22
I hope it can be skipped when you wish, though, like the rtw one...

Since it's the same engine and all, the preference file with the option to skip will probably be intact.

Hambut_bulge
01-26-2006, 14:00
Be nice if they could put that (a skip tutorial option) in as in-game feature. Would save the hassle of having to go and fiddle about with the preferences.ini for those (not me, I hasten to add) who find PC's a little intimidating.

boastj
01-26-2006, 15:05
This was posted in another thread

A short bit about scots/english relations for the previous decade, partly taken from another thread.

Malcolm III staged 5 major raids into Northumbria during his reign - in 1061, 1070, 1079, 1091 and 1093. These were for mixed reasons - the support of Anglo-Saxons in his court and expansion into Northumberland down towards the Tyne which he was hoping to claim.

In retaliation, in 1072 William the Conq took a great army with an accompanying fleet up through Lothian into Fife. At Abernethy he forced Malcolm into paying homage to him and giving his son as hostage.

From the translated Anglo-Saxon chronicle - ''This year King William led a naval force and a land force to Scotland, and beset that land on the sea-side with ships, whilst he led his land-force in at the Tweed, but he found nothing there of any value. King Malcolm, however, came, and made peace with King William, and gave hostages, and became his man; whereupon the king returned home with all his force. '' ( Note - Florence of Worcester and those who follow him say that William proceeded as far as Abernethy; where Malcolm met him, and surrendered to him )

In 1079, Malcolm once again raided into England. AS Chronicle again - ''This year came King Malcolm from Scotland into England, betwixt the two festivals of St. Mary, with a large army, which plundered Northumberland till it came to the Tine, and slew many hundreds of men, and carried home much coin, and treasure, and men in captivity.''

In 1080 William's son Robert struck back into Scotland forcing a renewal of the Abernethy terms at Falkirk and arranging more hostages. Later that year the English began work on a new castle on the Tyne.

So in game terms at the start of 1080, the Scots have raided into England, and the Norman English will be thinking of a suitable response.

Sounds like a good idea for a tutorial to me, has got everything you need to learn

Antiochius
01-27-2006, 14:20
I think It`s a good idea. But I`m sure that the turitorial map isn`t the same as the campaign map like in Rome