PDA

View Full Version : Swedish settlements & (potential) landmass issue

Seasoned Alcoholic
01-26-2006, 14:58
After reading through this and related topics (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=50437), I've been adding various new regions to the vanilla campaign map, and tweaking existing ones. After clearing the dense forests from southern Sweden, and removing the sea cliffs, I've been trying to add some Scandinavian settlements to this area of the campaign map.

However, when trying to add both a single and also multiple settlements to the southern area of Sweden (to the immediate east of Denmark), the game simply CTD. Note that it actually creates the campaign map, but crashes before opening this new campaign map.

The information in the link provided above suggests that this problem may be caused by the landmass issue:

Required landmass
The engine requires a certain amount of landmass that is relative to the size of the campaign map. If that amount is not present than the campaign will crash before loading.

Jerome posted:

A few other caveats about regions:
- they should be 'convex' (one landmass, no inaccessible areas)
So it appears that the game does not like the new Scandinavian settlement(s) / region(s) that have been created because they're inaccessible from the mainland. If they were an island, I'm sure there would be no CTD, but obviously you can't create the southern tip of Sweden into an island ~D

I've noticed that some campaign maps that are included with various mods have settlements located in southern Sweden. So there is obviously a method of including settlements there, if you know how to do it could you please let me know (I'm obviously missing a trick somewhere ~D). Thanks :medievalcheers:

Tico Love
01-31-2006, 15:40
Yo man,

I don't think that there are any tricks to adding a settlement in Sweden. After all if there was something limiting you to landmasses that are not accessible from the mainland, you would not have settlements in Britain either. The top part of britain is cut off in the RTW map also, right? I added a settlement in Sweden and used the same kind of techniques that I used on other provinces. However, there are a few things you might want to look at.

1. Make sure that there are some fertile tiles in the settlement that you are creating. I have not tried creating a settlement without fertile tiles, but from what I understand it is a requirement, and I think that there were no fertile tiles in the Swedish peninsula. You can use map_ground_types.tga (i think that is the name of the file.) to add fertile tiles if there are none. Also, add beaches to the coasts so that ships can drop people off there.

2. I don't know how important this is.. but another thing I did was edit the heights.tga file so that the beaches would look right.

I think the game wont let you add a Settlement to a province that cannot be reached. I never tried running the campaign before I made these changes just because it seemed logical to me to do them right off the bat. So I can't say for sure that either of these things are causing your problem. Give them a try and then post on here and tell us if it worked for you or not.

Seasoned Alcoholic
02-02-2006, 22:48
https://img141.imageshack.us/img141/396/scandinavia13op.jpg

Managed to get it working as you can see.

Some interesting points there Tico, I was unaware of the minimum level of fertility tiles per region, as well as needing the coastal squares to land armies on. Yeah, obviously as Britain is not connected to the mainland (and trimmed across the top), and has a few default settlements present, then I figured I must've coded something wrong.

Not sure what it was that the game didn't like first time round, but I've modded a fair chunk of the map now. It may have been something small that was overlooked originally - think first time round (modding the Swedish settlements) was my first crack at region modding, and I'd probably left something out.

Then again, it could've been an invalid general name, rebel faction, typo, ommission from a lookup file, invalid tile placement, incorrect region name etc etc. That's the problem with modding - trying to workout bugs is mostly trial & error ~D

I ain't modded map_heights.hgt btw, just edited map_features.tga - removed the yellow borders (which are the sea cliffs, prevents anyting from landing on coastal tiles) from around the Swedish mainland. Thanks :medievalcheers: