PDA

View Full Version : PBeM For PBeM Noobs

Monarch
01-26-2006, 22:43
A PBeM for people who dont usually play PBeM

Finalized Game Information

*The game will be played using Rome: Total War vanilla, patched to 1.5, no outside mods or personal editing allowed.
*We will be playing with the Seleucid Empire.
*We will be playing with medium battles and hard campaign.
*Each person will have 10 years before swapping to the next person.
*Toggling fog of war on/off is allowed via Rome Shell.
*Playing order is as follows: ZombyWolf, Sovereign, Rabbid Gibbon, Simon Appleton, Mount Suribachi, Ignoramus.
*Battle timer will be on.
*As if everyone included possible players play for 10 years/20 turns that only adds up to about 70 years of gameplay. As a result if the campaign is not completed after one round of the player list, we will go around again until the campaign is complete.
*Saves will be uploaded to: http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/ by using http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Uploaders/pbmupload.php

--------------------

Hello,

I have been reading threads such as the 'Alemmani PBeM' and the 'ERE PBeM' and it has got me very intruiged. However I have never played PBeM before, so I would like to start one for others to join in who do not usually play. Contrary to the title, experienced PBeM users may join in, however you may experience some form of 'annoyance', since it'll be a few peoples first games, or they havn't played in a while or whatever the write ups may not be up to your standards, and perhaps people will miss a few screens they perhaps should have taken, though obviously not encourages, we will not kill anybody who makes such mistakes.

I am extremely flexible as to what we play, I've got BI 1.6 and RTW 1.5. I dont want to play BI Roman factions however, I like to start small and grow. Perhaps the Saxons if we play BI? If we play standard then I would like to play civilized, Romans or Greeks preferably. I would like to play normal/normal for difficulty.

I think 10 turns each will do. Seriously, if you dont know what a PBem is then join, you'll simply play ten turns, then write up about your reign, you may do it in a roleplaying style preferably, however I think if you are particularly good at description, in a narrative form then that could work. Check the pinned threads in this forum for more info on how to play.

So yeah, all I'm looking for is if you want to give it a go that you fill out this simple little form.

Do you want to play Barbarian Invasion or Vanilla?:
How many PBeMs have you played before? (0 is fine!):
What is your prefered faction?

Thanks,

Simon AKA Soveriegn

Zomby_Woof
01-26-2006, 22:51
Actually, I was thinking it would be an excellent idea to start a second PBM alongside the current West Roman Empire one. One like this with much shorter turns will work just fine.

I personally would like to play on the vanilla with one of the more difficult factions like the Carthaginians or Seleucids. Although we should crank up the difficulty on the campaign level to hard at the very least.

Mount Suribachi
01-27-2006, 10:57
Hi Sovereign I my experience, the only "annoyance" is when the game stalls when someone doesn't play their turn, or disappears for a while from the Org. But even then everyone understands that we all have real life to deal with.

I've probly played 4 or 5 PBEMs, *thinks* Almohads, Byzantium, Spain, France...

But as regarding new PBEMers, I think part of the problem is that the path to the Throne Room is one of the least worn in the Org. Once people find their way here, they usually go "ooh, this is cool". Its getting folks here in the first place, and keeping them here if they have to wait several weeks to play their turn.

Mount Suribachi
01-27-2006, 10:59
BTW, thats a "yes I'm in". I like the sound of playing the Seleucids.

Monarch
01-27-2006, 16:37
think part of the problem is that the path to the Throne Room is one of the least worn in the Org.

I agree. It too me quite a while to find this place. While I like how the Org has named their forums inventivly, IE. Apothecary not Help Center, it can lead to some people not realising what a forum is for.

Glad to have you on board Mount Surabachi :laugh4:

RabidGibbon
01-27-2006, 16:52
Ohh Ohh, can I play. I'm a total n00b! Well almost, I'm bad enough to make you think I was anyway.

By which I mean to say I've played a pontus Pbem for a little bit. I agree with the Mountain about the Seleucids. That would be cool.

Cheers.

Monarch
01-27-2006, 18:25
Ok Rabid Gibbon, I would love to have you on board. Seleucids is cool for me too, they are actually one of the few factions I havn't played. However I often use them in multiplayer so the battle side isn't anything new. Looks like The Seleucid Empire it is then, now which patch? I would prefer 1.5 if thats ok?

boastj
01-27-2006, 19:36
What’s a PBeM, if I new what it was I might join

Dutch_guy
01-27-2006, 19:42
It's basically a campaign played in turns by a couple of players.

1 player plays...say 10 years... then saves the file and sends it to the player next in line. The players also write about their reign, that's called a write up.

check this link : https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=30871

Or check other hot thread right here in the throne room to get a better idea of a PB(e)M.

:balloon2:

Monarch
01-27-2006, 19:49
What’s a PBeM, if I new what it was I might join

A PBeM, is a Play By eMail campaign, however as we are going to be using the Orgs upload feature, we will not be using email. So it's just a name really.

Basically, one person starts a standard RTW campaign. S/he will play for an emporers reign, or a set number of years. When s/he has finished thier reign they will write up about their reign, including screenshots, up in a designated thread. The write up could be in role playing (where you like it in a kind of diary from the point of view of an emporer form or in a narrative (just describe what happened, perhaps the easier option for newcomers). An example of pbem write ups can be found at>> https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=59706

Then the person will go into their 'saved games' file in the RTW folder on their hard drive, they will find their saved game containing their campaign and put it into it's own random folder, then zip it up. They will then upload the folder at>>> http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Uploaders/pbmupload.php . Then another player who has joined the pbem will download the file into their saved games folder, they will then continue campaign for the established number of years. They will then repeat the write up/upload process and then the next person will have a go. This continues until the campaign has been completed.

You may also want to read>> https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=30871

Zomby_Woof
01-27-2006, 21:34
Okay so it looks like we'll have a good PBM ahead of us with several people showing interest.

Seleucids it is I guess. They have an interesting army with a nice mix of pike phalanxes, elephants, chariots, and missile units so there should be some good battles when we come into conflict with some of the stronger factions like the Romans and Macedons later in the game.

I suppose there are two things left to be determined:

1. Difficulty level: I think a VH/M will make for a good campaign but I know Sovereign wants to do a M/M. Maybe compromise and do H/M?

2. Player list and order. So far we have:

Sovereign
Zomby_Woof
Mount Suribachi
RabbidGibbon
And maybe boastj

Does anyone have any preferred order? I personally would be interested in one of the first couple turns.

Monarch
01-27-2006, 22:35
If you wish to play hard, at which I am unpracticed then I would rather not go first. But I'm still up for it for sure, hell it might even make the write up a little more interesting. H/M sounds ok :) Though of course I'll have to stop playing multiplayer and get some practice lol.

Battle timer? Doesnt make much difference to me, I'm not bothered.

Edit: Are we agreed of patched up to 1.5?

Mount Suribachi
01-27-2006, 23:11
Dude, if you're playing MP I don't think playing at Hard level is much of an issue for you ~;)

1.5 for me btw.

And feel free to bump RabidGibbon and boastj above me in the list. I'll be playing the ERE PBEM game soon, and more to the point, gets the new guys in there ahead of folks like me who've done them before ~:)

Monarch
01-27-2006, 23:47
Dude, if you're playing MP I don't think playing at Hard level is much of an issue for you ~;)

1.5 for me btw.

And feel free to bump RabidGibbon and boastj above me in the list. I'll be playing the ERE PBEM game soon, and more to the point, gets the new guys in there ahead of folks like me who've done them before ~:)

Lol, well it's not like I win at MP much...(I can hold my own and occassionally gain a victory). Anyhow I just played a few turns starting a Seleucid campaign, very fun. Hard is actually alot of fun, I'm liking how because I'm often outnumbered (early stages so my army is a General, a few militia hoplites and perhaps peltasts) the battles are alot more fun and challenging, yet still winnable.

Anyway, for playing order may I please have second?

Oh and mount, whilst I like you saying the newbies should got first, since this is a RTW campaign where we need 50 provinces (as opposed to say a BI campaign where the most you ever need is 35) to win, everyone should get a go, perhaps more than one so playing order isn't that important in that respect.

Suggested playing order:

ZombyWolf
Sovereign
RabbidGibbon
(boastj is he decides to play)
Mount Suribachi
Anyone else who may join

I hope that's ok with everyone :juggle2:

Edit: Oh and I downloaded FRAPs, so I can take screenshots and such now :)

Zomby_Woof
01-27-2006, 23:50
I think I might be patched to 1.6, which is just 1.5 for BI I think so I should be okay...

Anyway we should get the order clear. Let's just do:

Zomby_Woof
Sovereign
RabbidGibbon
Mount Suribachi
boastj (awaiting confirmation)

So long as no one has any problems with me starting (which I have to admit, I'm really eager to do) I'll go ahead and start the campaign?

EDIT: Bah, looks like you got to it first.

Monarch
01-27-2006, 23:51
I think I might be patched to 1.6, which is just 1.5 for BI I think so I should be okay...

Anyway we should get the order clear. Let's just do:

Zomby_Woof
Sovereign
RabbidGibbon
Mount Suribachi
boastj (awaiting confirmation)

So long as no one has any problems with me starting (which I have to admit, I'm really eager to do) I'll go ahead and start the campaign?

Lol, we posted the same order without even looking at each others. But please do start, I'll make the official write up thread.

Remember, 10 turns :)

Edit: Oh, did you put battle timer on or off?

Zomby_Woof
01-27-2006, 23:59
Well, I started and then exited. I think we'll probably end up going battle timer on.

Is it ten turns (as in five years) or ten years (or twenty turns)

Monarch
01-28-2006, 00:00
Well, I started and then exited. I think we'll probably end up going battle timer on.

Is it ten turns (as in five years) or ten years (or twenty turns)

Ah sorry I wasn't too clear. 10 years/20 turns.

Mount Suribachi
01-28-2006, 10:35
Is 10 years long enough? We've only got 5 players so far, and about 270 years of game to get through. I think we could afford to make it 20 years/40 turns, or even a full reign.

The issue behind bumping the newbs is that the longer the game goes, the longer each turn takes, the longer it takes for each player to play their reign. People down the list can get bored waiting for their turn.

You might want to try pimping this in the EH and Colosseum btw. Folks like me have sigs turned off.

Tricky Lady
01-28-2006, 10:40
:idea2: In case you play 10 years/20 turns and didn't finish the game by the time you reach the end of the list, you might want to add me to your list.
But don't feel obliged to do so; if you prefer to play full reigns or even 20 years/player you might get everyone to play a turn without adding more players to the list.

Monarch
01-28-2006, 12:30
Trick lady you would like to play? We would love to have you :)

Mount - I was actually thinking that we would go through the list twice, perhaps three times. This gives all players a chance at different times of the campaign. What are your thoughts on how this works? Would a straight 20 years be better?

RabidGibbon
01-28-2006, 12:49
For what its worth I'd quite enjoy getting a go at the campaign at several different times. It would be nice to see how people managed to get theselves out of the mess I landed them in!

Although I suppose the write up thread would also let me see that, but all in all I'd prefer the 10 year/20 turns option.

Mount Suribachi
01-28-2006, 14:12
Mount - I was actually thinking that we would go through the list twice, perhaps three times. This gives all players a chance at different times of the campaign. What are your thoughts on how this works?

It certainly introduces an interesting dynamic - could be interesting ~:)

Monarch
01-28-2006, 14:33
Ok we'll go with that then :)

Zomby_Woof
01-29-2006, 23:22
My reign has come to an end. I've saved the game under the name Seleucia260S.

Our neighbors have been very hostile as always but I've left Sovereign a large treasury, a wealthy and strong Empire in the west but in the east the Egyptians have been causing trouble as always although it seems the Parthians and Armenians have stopped bugging Hatra.

Good luck and have an enjoyable sit in the throne Sovereign.

Monarch
01-30-2006, 16:37
Ok, cant wait for the write up.

Edit: Click on the link, it's jsut a load of letters and symbols. Other links are zip or rar files, yours it the actual .sav

Can you zip the save up please?
edit: I did right clink sav link as, i think it'll work ok.

Edit again: I had a little look and a battle. It seems you had a very productive reign. I am sorry to say however I use peasent garrisons, I respect you for not using them but I'm already playing hard difficulty, which I dont usually do so I'm not going to try to make it harder. I'll try not to use them extensively, but they;re handy in our war against egypt to free up some men. Anyway I wont say anymore until RU time.

econ21
01-31-2006, 01:01
Sounds like you have an event-full innings, Zomby_Woof, and have produced a dramatic write-up,:2thumbsup:, with its fair share of tragedies as well as triumphs (sending phalanxes in open battle against the Parthians was brave).

I like the screenshots - especially the two doomed generals locked in personal combat. But one minor point - do you really like the green arrows? I always sided with frogbeastegg and the subtitle in her RTW guide green arrows must die, so I followed her advice to edit the preferences file to get rid of them.

Zomby_Woof
01-31-2006, 03:18
Thanks Simon, I decided that I would finish the write-up today no matter what. Unfortunately I got pretty annoyed with it and ended up rushing it and cutting out a pair of relatively important battles as well as a couple of skirmishes.

I personally like the green arrows when I'm actually playing the game. I think it helps keep my organized but I'm always kind of disappointed with how ugly it makes everything in the pictures...

Dutch_guy
01-31-2006, 16:45
Good write up Zomby_Woof, enjoyed reading it :2thumbsup:

The green arrows don't really bother me that much, though I usually do edit them out.

Monarch
01-31-2006, 17:27
Very nice ZW, good read.

I'm just after a tip really. Is it best to say play a turn, then if something important happened save, exit out and write it up. Or play the whole reign then write up or what? Advice please.

econ21
01-31-2006, 20:06
What I do is make contemporaneous notes as I play a campaign. So I keep a record of any battles, other important events and decisions (declarations of war etc). I'll often have half a dozen to a dozen sides of A4 with scribbled notes. But personally, I think it is a bit dull just to try to transcribe such a record. Instead, when my reign has finished, I try to think how it could make a readable story. Where possible, I'd start by reviewing all the screenshots I've taken, on the principle of "show, don't tell". Reviewing the notes and the screenshots, some salient events or characters will present themselves and a story begins to tell itself, although sometimes the muse fails.

Monarch
02-01-2006, 18:02
Thanks Simon, that's very interesting. For future pbems, I might adopt that. For now though I'm just screening everything with fraps, basically for 'triggers' in my mind to remind me of things, some are for the write up itself though.

Just to say I am over half way through my reign, with a sketchy write up that will of course be revised of the events so far completed too. I'll have it done by the end of the week probably. Tonight I dont think I'll do any more campaigning, I'm going to concentrate on the write up. I've just downloaded GIMP to resize/convert to JPG my FRAPs screens, and this will take quite a while.

Ignoramus
02-03-2006, 07:56
I may be able to some PBeMs soon.

Monarch
02-03-2006, 16:47
Ignoramus, you can join this PBeM if you like :)

PS. Ok, it's now the weekend. Meaning I'll be able to get loads more done, no more school holding me back lol. ETA: Saturday for save to be uploaded. Sunday for write up to be posted.

Just to say we have a great economy (though on the final turn I had a spending spree, we did have 70000 denarri, but lots of towns expanded and such so I had to build expensive governors /villas/palaces and what not. Though because people get currupt in your empire when you have more than 50k, I suggest future players spend spend spend, keep the money low. Though considering at 260bc my spending meant we had 30 denari at one point, 70000 is not too shaby :)).

Tricky Lady
02-04-2006, 02:23
Sovereign, not sure if you added me to your list for this PBM in the end, but I think you better not count on me (cf. my post in the WRE Pbm thread).
If you didn't add me to the list, than this post is quite useless :grin2:

Ignoramus
02-04-2006, 10:35
I'm probably going to get BI again soon, I got BI the first time, and didn't think it was worth the $50 AUS, but now I'll probably get it again soon, so I won't need to download 1.3, I'll only need 1.5. I don't know how PBeMs work exactly, so if someone can fully inform me that will be great.

Edit: I'll try to have everything in time for this current one, if not, I'll be ready for the next one for sure.

Monarch
02-04-2006, 10:40
Ignoramus, this should answer your questions on pbems:

A PBeM, is a Play By eMail campaign, however as we are going to be using the Orgs upload feature, we will not be using email. So it's just a name really.

Basically, one person starts a standard RTW campaign. S/he will play for an emporers reign, or a set number of years. When s/he has finished thier reign they will write up about their reign, including screenshots, up in a designated thread. The write up could be in role playing (where you like it in a kind of diary from the point of view of an emporer form or in a narrative (just describe what happened, perhaps the easier option for newcomers). An example of pbem write ups can be found at>> https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=59706

Then the person will go into their 'saved games' file in the RTW folder on their hard drive, they will find their saved game containing their campaign and put it into it's own random folder, then zip it up. They will then upload the folder at>>> http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Uploaders/pbmupload.php . Then another player who has joined the pbem will download the file into their saved games folder, they will then continue campaign for the established number of years. They will then repeat the write up/upload process and then the next person will have a go. This continues until the campaign has been completed.

You may also want to read>> https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=30871

Zomby_Woof
02-06-2006, 00:11
Sovereign, you still need to upload your save game so that RabidGibbon can begin his reign.

Monarch
02-06-2006, 17:02
He's got it. For some reason the upload didn't work. I tried a .sav and a .zip. So I uploaded it to Ripway.com and sent RG the link, he's had it for a few days now.

RabidGibbon
02-06-2006, 17:08
I never used the Ripway link. I downloaded it off this site on Friday...

Honest Guv'nor. I've started playing but we've got a pretty big empire and tends to take a while to wade throught the turns. I'll get finished quick as I can though.

Monarch
02-06-2006, 17:13
I never used the Ripway link. I downloaded it off this site on Friday...

Honest Guv'nor. I've started playing but we've got a pretty big empire and tends to take a while to wade throught the turns. I'll get finished quick as I can though.

Oh it acutally worked? Cool I couldn't find it myself :idea2:

Zomby_Woof
02-07-2006, 22:57
Heh, I found it, twas at the very bottom. I guess capitalizing the first letter determines where it ends up on the otherwise alphabetical list...

RabidGibbon
02-10-2006, 13:52
File uploaded to the Org as Selucid240.zip.

Write up to follow.

Zomby_Woof
02-10-2006, 22:58
Alright, that means Mount Suribachi is up. I know that he's got his hands full with the WRE campaign right now, so we should probably see if he plans on juggling both at once or if we should go ahead and skip him for the time being...

econ21
02-11-2006, 00:27
I think Mount's about done on the WRE campaign (his Emperor was age 62 last time he posted) so the timing may be ok for him.

Mount Suribachi
02-11-2006, 10:44
Yeah, I may only have a few years left, but then I gotta do the write ups. Feel free to bump me down the list one.

Monarch
02-11-2006, 16:10
Actually bumping you down the list would result in Zomby Wolf getting another go. As only four people are participating. So you want to let ZW have a go, then take your turn?

Zomby_Woof
02-11-2006, 16:49
Well if I go next I won't be able to start until Sunday, so maybe you can take my place Sovereign?

Bah, I can't believe I'm bolding names now.

Mount Suribachi
02-11-2006, 18:20
Yep, start the go-around again if no-one else steps up to the plate. You could PM Divinus Arma, he's expressed an intrest in the stickied thread above.

Monarch
02-11-2006, 18:55
I'm currently in the begginings of an Alemmani Bi campaign at the minute, kind of got me hooked. So I dont really want to take on this one so soon, especially since it's only 10 years on from my last go. Zomby Wolf, we're in no rush so can you please take it?

econ21
02-12-2006, 04:12
If you want more players, I'd be happy to join in. Not exactly a noob, but I really like PBMs adn I have never played the Seleucids this far into a game. However, it's Sunday already, so if Zomby_Woof wants to play now, that's fine with me. I'll wait to hear from him.

Monarch
02-12-2006, 13:25
If you want more players, I'd be happy to join in. Not exactly a noob, but I really like PBMs adn I have never played the Seleucids this far into a game. However, it's Sunday already, so if Zomby_Woof wants to play now, that's fine with me. I'll wait to hear from him.

Bit of an understatment :laugh4:

But yeah this isn't just for noobs, that was the title because I was trying to encounrage more people to have a shot at pbem, since it looked great. But I dont think anybody else will be joining, so it'd be great if you would take the next round :2thumbsup:

I dont think antybody has started yet, so i'll add your name to the list and feel free to start when your ready :bow:

Zomby_Woof
02-12-2006, 15:40
Actually, I don't even really feel like doing another write-up at the time, so why don't you go ahead and take your turn Simon.

econ21
02-17-2006, 22:17
Just a holding note to say that I am well into my 10 years (it's Winter 234 now). It was getting dull just mopping up in the East, so I attacked the Romans in Greece. Hope I don't leave a terrible mess for my successors to clear up.

econ21
02-20-2006, 21:17
OK, I finished my 10 years. The file is uploaded as Seleucid230S.zip. The next player is going to have a very busy but fun decade. We are in the middle of a stand-up fight against the Romans. We have 37 provinces, including most of Greece but the Romans are far from being down. I was often having around 2 big battles per turn, so the next player should appreciate what they are letting themselves in for. That said, I have not had such an epic, challenging game for a long time.

I will post a write up in due course. We are also waiting for one from RabidGibbon.

Zomby_Woof
02-20-2006, 21:56
So should I go next or is Mount Suribachi?

Also, where did the write-ups disappear to?

Mount Suribachi
02-20-2006, 22:20
You go mate, I'm still playing the WRE.

As for the write up, check your settings at the bottom of the page for the "show threads from" field.

econ21
02-20-2006, 23:42
So should I go next or is Mount Suribachi?

My write-up may take a while, so a quick heads-up: we have an army just off-shore in Greece, so don't forget to disembark it. And the Scipii have a full strength army embarked off Lepcis Magna - try to sink it.

Ignoramus
02-21-2006, 11:37
Put my name down on the list.

Zomby_Woof
02-21-2006, 21:30
You can pick up from where Simon left off since I haven't gotten around to starting anyway. Besides, I just downloaded Rome: Total Realism and I'm currently enjoying a nice (if rather long) Roman campaign.

Gaulgath
02-22-2006, 13:31
Rome Total War Vanilla? Alright then, can you sign me up?

Mount Suribachi
02-23-2006, 12:18
Put Ingnoramus and Gaulgath ahead of me on the list

Zomby_Woof
02-26-2006, 00:53
Has anybody else started? Or am I supposed to be going?

econ21
02-26-2006, 15:17
Has anybody else started? Or am I supposed to be going?

Maybe give it a day or so, then run with it? Lots of PBMs have been derailed by people walking off with the savegame or just disappearing. The show must go on...

Ignoramus
02-26-2006, 22:20
I am still going to do it, I was waiting for your write-up, but I haven' t gotten BI yet, so someone can go ahead of me.

econ21
02-26-2006, 23:18
I am still going to do it, I was waiting for your write-up, but I haven' t gotten BI yet, so someone can go ahead of me.

I think RabidGibbon needs to do his write-up first.

This campaign does not need BI. If you patch the original to RTW up to 1.5, there should be no problem.

But I'll leave the order of play to Monarch and Zomby_woof to work out.

Ludens
03-04-2006, 21:38
Hello,

New member Menelmacar (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1082681#post1082681) has expressed an interest in joining this PBEM. Is there still room for him?

Zomby_Woof
03-05-2006, 04:33
Things have slowed down; I've still been waiting for RabidGibbon and Simon to post their write-ups before I start my turn but seeing as I've already had one Menelmacar is more than welcome to take my spot.

Gaulgath
03-05-2006, 13:41
Darn, maybe we should skip them?

econ21
03-05-2006, 17:12
It's not usual in PBMs to wait for people's write-ups - they take time - although I can see the logic. Anyway, prompted by guilt, I have produced mine. I can delete it and copy it later if RabidGibbon decides to post his write-up (he preceded me). But hopefully it should provide enough background for the next player so they understand what is going on.

Briefly reviewing this thread, it looks like Mount has stepped out for a while and Zomby_woof is willing to defer to newcomers. If we go by the first come first served principle, I make it that Ignoramous is the next in line, followed by Galgauth and then Menelmacar.

So unless someone shouts out stop, I think Ignoramous can just download the save and start.

As I said before, players should bear in mind that the 10 year innings at this late stage of the campaign will involve a lot of fighting and a pretty big writeup. Don't take it on if you can't see it through. In-game hints: watch out for our army embarked off Greece and try to sink the Scipii one sailing off Lepcis Magna.

Monarch
03-05-2006, 18:14
I PMd Gibbon ages about it but no reply. I dont think s/he can be bothered otherwise I would have got a pm back sayiing its being worked on or something.

Mount Suribachi
03-05-2006, 19:14
carry on keeping me in reserve until there is no-one else left. I'm more than happy to defer to give other folks a chance, especially if they are new to PBEMs

Braden
03-10-2006, 17:10
Question:

My "raw" preferences files are modded to remove things like Green Arrows and large banners, this may be a barrier to me joining this campaign.

Is it?

econ21
03-10-2006, 18:00
Question:

My "raw" preferences files are modded to remove things like Green Arrows and large banners, this may be a barrier to me joining this campaign.

Is it?

No - that doesn't matter. The key thing is to be running the right patched version. Stuff like green banners don't matter. (And I agree with Froggy's guide - they must die!)

I am not sure how long this campaign will last though, so you might consider starting a new one.

Braden
03-13-2006, 09:47
I currently can’t log in to the Guild at home for some reason….no problem here at work which is very strange. Once I’ve sorted this issue out (bet it’s those blasted Cookies!), I may just start up a game myself. I also need to look at the storage facilities here on the .org with regards holding the .sav files.

I tried to do a PBeM via the .com, but I got two people interested, then they dropped out. This was likely as I wanted it to run “by reign” rather than 10 years like this, and some of my other “rules” may have been too much.

I’m patched ok. 1.5 Rome & 1.6 BI so I’ll monitor the progress of this game over the next week or so before deciding what game to start myself.

econ21
03-14-2006, 12:21
Seeing as how only one RTW PBM has ever been completed, I've started getting anxious about this campaign. It's nearly a month since I finished my turn. I'll PM Ignoramous, but I think we need to think about finding new players. If he drops out, I would be inclined to say first person to post here can pick up the savegame. The show must go on.

Braden
03-14-2006, 13:16
I don't mind continuing this game with those who remain. Even though I'm proposing to start a new Rome PBeM soon, that won't be for about a week at least (week until I post full details, then how ever long it takes to get a player base), so I'll be able to continue this campaign as well.

Ludens
03-14-2006, 17:06
Seeing as how only one RTW PBM has ever been completed, I've started getting anxious about this campaign. It's nearly a month since I finished my turn. I'll PM Ignoramous, but I think we need to think about finding new players. If he drops out, I would be inclined to say first person to post here can pick up the savegame. The show must go on.
There is still Menelmacar, who posted a few days ago in the Entrance Hall that he would like to have a go as well. But I really don't know whose turn it is.

Monarch
03-14-2006, 17:22
Ok. This is getting a little rediculous. And to be quite frank I dont want to trawl through the thread in a 'who asked first' hunt. If Ignoramus fails to reply to Simon's PM by Friday, then I hereby officially bestow the honour of carrying on this pbem onto the hands of Braden. Braden you seem to have an actual interest in pbems, I'm sure you wont let us down ;)

Braden
03-14-2006, 17:40
…guess it comes from years of RP (online and Live Role Play). I’ll carry it on for a further 10 years.

You’re only about 231BC I believe.

Just put the .sav in the pbm dump and let me know the file name and advise me who to be next after me please.

I'll see how I can do.

econ21
03-14-2006, 18:02
The file is in upload directory as Seleucid230S.zip. Give Ignoramus until Friday, Braden, after that it's all yours.

In terms of the future playlist, if you do take the game on Friday, maybe you could PM Menelmacar to confirm he will take the turn after you? We used to have a "wake-up call" system like that - so the new player would make sure he has a successor - to try to avoid the kind of long pauses we've experienced here.

Ignoramus
03-14-2006, 22:28
Sorry guys, I haven't been able to upload 1.3, let alone 1.5, so I guess I'm out, sorry for taking so long.

econ21
03-14-2006, 23:10
OK, thanks for getting back to us, Ignoramous.

Braden are you in a position to pick up the game now? You should have enough time to have a go before launching your own PBM.

I'm starting to feel a little guilty about us skipping over Gaulgath. If he posts here again, perhaps he should go after Braden? If not, then Menelmacar. If this PBM ends before both have had a go, hopefullly we can find another PBM and put them to the top of the list for that.

I'm rather keen to start a Europa Barbarorum PBM - the latest version seems pretty stable now (I've played 44 turns and had only 2 CTDs, neither of which was reproducible).

Braden
03-15-2006, 10:05
Wake-up Call to Menelmacar – no problem.

I hope Gaulgath comes back in otherwise it’s a short player list for the campaign. Anyway, I am in a position to get started (I’ve got some game time put aside for the 16th).

I’ll go over the rules again, make sure I’m up to date on those then get started. Will PM you (and Gaulgath) when I’ve successfully commenced my 10 year tenure.

As for “find another PBM” – *cough* impending PBM by me……(hint, hint).

Edit - I’ve PM’d Ignoramous, I’m willing to send a CD-ROM to him with the patches on if he wants.

- hate to see someone missing out on game-play.

Mount Suribachi
03-15-2006, 14:34
Don't forget I'm still here if you do run out of players

Braden
03-16-2006, 09:57
Have taken over now. One turn down. I’ll PM Menelmacar and Gaulgath today advising them of this and that Menelmacar is next up – should be this time next week when I’m done.

….and my initial reaction on first looking at the Seleucid Empire was….Eeekkkk! My tenure will be radically different and more “economical” than the previous incumbent (sorry to them).

Now at Winter 230 and another settlement has been added to our Empire, also three more battle honours to list.

I am happy for either Gaulgath or Menelmacar to start my new campaign once that begins.

BTW – playing with FoW on so I can’t see what the AI is doing. Actually, I don’t even know the console command to disable it.

econ21
03-16-2006, 10:09
….and my initial reaction on first looking at the Seleucid Empire was….Eeekkkk! My tenure will be radically different and more “economical” than the previous incumbent (sorry to them).

:inquisitive: Running down the treasury was a deliberate policy. We were enjoying massive surpluses for quite a long time, but it ruined a whole generation of governors. If your surplus goes above 50k, the chances of them getting bad traits goes up.

BTW: to toggle fog of war, press the ` key (on a UK keyboard at least) to bring up Rome shell. Then type "toggle_fow". But you are right to play with fow on - toggling if off might only be useful to take a picture of the extent of the reign.

Braden
03-16-2006, 11:04
Ah no sorry, by "economical" I meant with man-power not money. Smaller, more rational armies rather than the mixed up armies that are scattered about, less reliance on Mercs. Front line troops (Silver shields etc) in Garrisons - rather use Levies. Also Mercs as Garrisons? Think I'll address that also.

For example: I’d rather destroy the walls of a city, and have to pay for rebuilding them, than have my warriors die needlessly against troops on city walls better suited to that type of fighting. Phalanx units on city walls against Legions = very bad idea. So, less siege towers more sapping.

Oh no! I'll spend money like water (ask the wife) - an Empire wide building programme has been launched to change the front line cities into ones capable of producing the best troops. Also much use of (and recruitment of) diplomats to bribe a few rebels. More spies and Assassins also in the queues.

Edit: Radical Idea – Looking at the write ups for this campaign so far I notice how hard it is to get the pictures to fit correctly. How does the following grab you? I do my write up (and inclusive of all previous write ups), with pictures as an Acrobat file, upload it to the pbm storage with a link on the forum.

I’ve done a quick test on the write up I’ve done so far (with a few test screens) and it all seems to work wonderfully.

Alternatively, I’ll put the whole thing into a .PDF document (all nice looking) once the campaign is finished. Something for people involved to keep separately from the Guild forums (and easier to read).

Just an idea.

econ21
03-16-2006, 17:47
Ah no sorry, by "economical" I meant with man-power not money. Smaller, more rational armies rather than the mixed up armies that are scattered about, less reliance on Mercs. Front line troops (Silver shields etc) in Garrisons - rather use Levies. Also Mercs as Garrisons? Think I'll address that also.

Steady on - I'd rather be accused of profligacy than irrationality! ~;)

One problem for the Seleucids is managing the distances - the armies in faraway Armenia and Libya are whatever could be cobbled together. Some large garrisons were effectively prisoners - some of our cities are so large, low loyalty tied the troops down until just recently we captured some wonder in southern Greece that raises loyalty., Hopefully, the field armies in Greece are more balanced. You may need the numbers against the Romans but you can always try the Donald Rumsfeld approach of lighter forces.

The Silver shields proved a bit of a disappointment when I used them - I came to the conclusion that levy pikemen (a legacy - I never built any) can do virtually as well (or as badly), but your mileage may vary. We are about to get legionnaires in Egypt, which should help with the phalanx on walls problem.

On the mercenaries - I recall splurging on them in Greece as for a time I had only a single stack of Seleucids in there and needed to maintain loyalty in newly conquered cities. Replacing them over time might make sense. But I'd keep hold of the Cretans and Rhodians, as they were the Roman killers in my battles in Greece.

Edit: Radical Idea – Looking at the write ups for this campaign so far I notice how hard it is to get the pictures to fit correctly. How does the following grab you? I do my write up (and inclusive of all previous write ups), with pictures as an Acrobat file, upload it to the pbm storage with a link on the forum.

I’ve done a quick test on the write up I’ve done so far (with a few test screens) and it all seems to work wonderfully.

Alternatively, I’ll put the whole thing into a .PDF document (all nice looking) once the campaign is finished. Something for people involved to keep separately from the Guild forums (and easier to read).

Just an idea.

I converted the tgas to jpegs and reduced them to 80% - I thought that was ok; are they still too big?

I'm not sure a pdf is a good idea - people generally like to surf the web in a fairly passive way, I don't think they'd bother to download a pdf of a PBM write-up.

However, as a complement to (rather than substitute for) online writeups, pdfs might be a good way of preserving things for posterity. The links for pictures for old writeups tend to get broken after a while.

Braden
03-16-2006, 17:56
Armies - Don’t get me wrong, I understand the driving factors behind what created the armies currently in the game. It’s just now, as we’re being so successful in beating back our enemies and expanding, it could be the perfect time to trim them down.

Point taken about the Silver Shield Phalanx’s. I wonder how far away from getting Silver Shield cavalry we are…..

Yup, can build them now (sure I spotted them somewhere in a recruitment list) – they will be essential to taking cities as intact as possible.

Useful mercs will remain always – like Cretans.

PDF – ok, as a compliment I agree. A few page effects and it does actually look really nice as well. Pictures – yours were perfect size, but I can’t testify that I’ll be as successful as you at getting the scale right (I’m a bit of a trial and error man).

Braden
03-17-2006, 11:29
Phalanx Pikemen vs Silver Shield Pikemen.

The only real difference between them is the improved morale and stamina of the Silver Shields. Is that worth the extra cost and a two turn build? If Legionaries are available then certainly No. A Phalanx pikeman front line supported by some units of Legionaries gains as the Legionaries are just better at fighting.

So, building progresses on Legionaries where possible. Silver Shield pikemen will be used where no other alternative is available and then only a few units scattered about to anchor a battle line. Besides the Legionaries are cheaper.

Menelmacar
03-17-2006, 14:19
Hi there!

Finally just got promoted to full membership, which means that now I can actually post here rather than having to ask around for others to talk for me. ~:thumb:

So, here I am, ready to actively join in. Just got the pm from Braden, so whenever things start for me, I'll hop in. Braden, do take your time, I might have some extra shifts at work next week, so I probably wouldn't start playing before the weekend anyway.

Happy to be here at last! :2thumbsup:

- Menelmacar

Braden
03-19-2006, 00:43
Just to update everyone. Its the Winter of 225BC and good old Demetrius has just past on at 73. The Romans are pushing back against us now but we're still kicking their butts, we have 43 regions and armies in production - btw its all three roman factions in it now!

Braden
03-20-2006, 13:45
Please note that I have placed a Battle Report in The Mead Hall:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1097224#post1097224

Although it is from this campaign and I am only half way through my tenure, I thought it appropriate to put this full battle report/story on the forum now.

econ21
03-21-2006, 16:05
Very nice story, Braden. :2thumbsup:

And a good idea to focus on a key battle - sometimes our battle reports end up just being a catalogue of details. Focussing on just a few makes for a more satisfying read.

Did you manage to take any screenshots? I often forget in the most heated battles (which general wants to turn photographer at a critical moment?).

Braden
03-21-2006, 23:30
Sorry but no screen shots, all was panning out to be a normal...I win hands down battle until the Brutii turned up only meters from my rear! I just didnt have time for screen shots (I never use Pause) so I went into a high-descriptive narration for the battle in the hope that it can be visualised ok anyway.

Most of my write up will be fairly normal aka "Kings Diary" style but peppered with a few indepth battle reports around the key encounters.

Glad you liked it. I laced it with an undertone that you may or may not have got, which I thought was appropriate given the history of the main characters involved......

econ21
03-22-2006, 00:55
Well, I did wonder about the undertone - I could not recall if the two leads were father and son, but I guess not. ~;)

It's fun when unexpected stuff happens in a battle, like the Brutii appearing suddenly behind you. I recall a MTW battle in a snow storm where I could see nothing and somehow got disorientated, so I could not work read the mini-map correctly. I only realised almost too late that my whole army was facing the wrong way, with the enemy bearing down on me and within spitting distance! :sweatdrop:

Braden
03-22-2006, 10:15
The campaign is coming along nicely after the sudden Roman-alliance onslaught. They really did catch our Empire with our pants down, with armies just not up to fighting a post-Marius Roman army.

Pulled off a very close victory last night where the game gave me hardly a chance as I was facing TWO Julii Preatorian Cohorts + 1 x archer and 1 x Roman Cavalry support. My forces were just 1 x Levy Pikemen, 1 x Phalanx pikemen, 1 x Militia cavalry, 2 x archer units + General.

Needless to say my small army was utterly devastated but the General really carried the day, outflanking and continuously charging the enemy as the militia cavalry teased units out of formation. A really tough fight, but a needed one as the Julii army was outflanking my main fighting armies in Greece and was on track to besiege Tessalonica or Apollinia or Larissa all of which had little defence. It was funny to see 20 Greek Archers chase down a broken Preatorian Cohort though…….

So it falls to good old (well, 26 year old) Zoilos (now I think a eight or nine star general!) to push the massed Julii and Brutii forces back to Italy.

We’ve also started pushing back the Scipii from Libya – first victory last night using one of the 100% Seleucid armies using Silver Shield Pikes AND Legionnaires.

Still….loads more Romans where they came from and as I’ve only got 5 turns left (2.5 years) it will certainly fall to the next person to finish this one.

Currently we have 43 regions under control but have not broken into Italy yet.

Braden
03-23-2006, 12:38
Just to let everyone know that I’m nearly finished with my segment. I’ve PM’d Menelmacar to let him know the .sav file will be available from Monday (27th).

I also hope to post my combined write-ups (i.e. write up plus battle reports) on Monday also. I’ve just got to work out the optimum size for the pictures.

Menelmacar
03-23-2006, 13:19
Menelmacar will be online and ready on Monday. :2thumbsup:

Braden
03-24-2006, 16:16
90% of my “Report” is now posted. Within the report I have links to a few fuller battle reports which are placed in the Mead Hall. I need to make my next batch of screenshots a bit bigger but other than that everything is in order. :2thumbsup:

I welcome any comments, feel free to discuss my strategies etc. :book:

My tenure will be finished over the weekend and an updated .sav will be put in the storage (I’ll post the file name here as well as PM it across).

On a side note….once the full campaign is finished, I’ll compile .pdf version of the whole campaign (for myself mainly), obviously copies will be available on request.

Ludens
03-24-2006, 22:10
Good going, Braden. You seem to be doing fine.

However, I am a bit less enthusiastic about having three threads in the Mead Hall for one campaign. Would you mind if I merged them into one? This means you would have to change the links in your write-up, but since it is possible to link to a single post (as opposed to the entire thread) I don't think this will pose a problem.

Braden
03-25-2006, 20:56
Oh yes, that's ok. Merge all the battle reports into one if you can.

Will I have to update the links?

Ludens
03-25-2006, 22:21
Oh yes, that's ok. Merge all the battle reports into one if you can.

Will I have to update the links?
Only that of the second report. The first and third are still working. The new link is https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1100645#post1100645.

Braden
03-26-2006, 20:59
Quick post - not sure if I'll get the chance to finish tonigh as planned, friends are round. If I do finish - great! good job Braden. If I don't - bad job Braden, no biscuit!

if this doesn't get completed tonight then I will strap myself to my cpu tomorrow night and FORCE myself.

Edit - 1130pm and I've done it! The .sav is uploaded titled "BradenSeleucids221.zip"

Gaulgath
04-01-2006, 21:46
Gah, I haven't been active on this forum for a month. :( So who will be going next, I would be glad to try. And I have high speed internet now. :D

econ21
04-01-2006, 23:50
Well, Menelmacar was supposed to pick up the game last Monday but he has not posted yet. I'll PM him to see if he is still game. But as far as I can tell, after him, you should be next in line, Galgauth.

Dutch_guy
04-02-2006, 19:39
wow Simon what did you do to your name !

Sorry for the of topic yell of ignorance.

econ21
04-02-2006, 21:32

I'm belatedly going internet anonymous...

:creep:

Monarch
04-02-2006, 22:21

Sorry for the of topic yell of ignorance.

LOL. I was just thinking *woh, they've got a new mod*. thanks for pointing that out, how much of an ass would I have looked "congrats econ on making mod!" :embarassed:

Menelmacar
04-03-2006, 00:26
Hi guys,

sorry for the silence this week... girl-friend troubles popping up out of nowhere... :dizzy2: :no: I guess I'll have to drop out off my turn - sorry for not having told you earlier, I wasn't home all week. But I heard you have another person intersted in hopping aboard? So, do let him or her join! Somebody should definitely be enjoying this. ~;p

Sorry for the inconvenience! Will hope to be back soon though.

Bye for now!

- Menelmacar

econ21
04-03-2006, 00:38
Thanks for letting us know, Menelmacar.

Galgauth, it looks like it is all yours if you want it. Please post here when/if you download Braden's savegame and get it working.

Braden
04-03-2006, 19:44
Ok quick update for Galgauth as I haven't had an opportunity to post my details of the last two turns - written up but at work...me, at home on vacation..

Anyway, Just one step away from Italy now. Segestica was secured on my last turn by our now 8 star General Zoilos (a tender 28 years of age!) and the Scipii utterly crushed in Lybia.

So, consolidate initially and then move on Italy....

Gaulgath
04-04-2006, 23:21
I have been PMed, and I will now take my turn on the PBM.

EDIT: Errr, what's the file name?

econ21
04-05-2006, 00:54
Errr, what's the file name?

BradenSeleucids221.zip

Gaulgath
04-12-2006, 00:10
Ah, thanks for that! I have downloaded it and things are going well! Right now I'm focusing on destroying the Julii so I can get to Italy and then destroy those foolish Romans!

Glaucus
04-16-2006, 16:32
Do you want to play Barbarian Invasion or Vanilla?:
How many PBeMs have you played before? (0 is fine!):
What is your prefered faction?

Thanks,

Simon AKA Soveriegn

I like RTW, though I do have BI. Don't like BI nearly as much as RTW though. I have never played a PBeM before, though now seems a good time to start. I like pretty much any faction, you can make any of them work, phalanxes can beat legionaries and vice versa as long as you know what your doing. If I can still sign up for this particular PBeM, I would like to, and if not, I would love to give the next one a shot. Thanks, Glaucus

Braden
04-16-2006, 20:20
Glaucus,

You may get a shout with this current campaign but more likely the next one....which has only just started.

See: Horns of the Bull and related threads, but basically its Carthage so you'll still get to use Phalanx's (eventually).

Gaulgath
04-19-2006, 17:04
I lost my write-up notes! :oops: All well, I'll just have to do the best I can!

EDIT: Ok, I finished the write-up, and I have uploadeded the PBM in the filespace! Its name is Seleuicids211. So who's going next?

econ21
04-27-2006, 22:09
Good stuff, Gaulgath, :2thumbsup:

Anyone want to take the next 10 years? We can't be that far away from our target of Rome and 50 provinces. But it looks like it will take some hard fighting to get there.

If we don't have any new volunteers, I propose recycling through past players. I'd be happy to go again.

Gaulgath
04-28-2006, 22:30
Good to see you econ21! This thread hasn't been that active, but it would be great if you could continue it, I suppose. Seleuicids211 in the filespace.

econ21
04-29-2006, 00:40
I don't like to see PBMs go unfinished, but I've just noticed Glaucus expressed interest recently. I've PMd him and if he is willing to step up, that would be ideal.

Gaulgath
04-29-2006, 14:15
Yes, good idea. ~:)

Glaucus
05-01-2006, 22:16
I got it downloaded and am comencing playing ASAP. Locked and loaded, lets kick some roman _____(insert favorite body part to kick here)

Gaulgath
05-02-2006, 12:19
Excellent! Glad you could continue this for us. I wish you best of luck against those arrogant romans! :charge:

econ21
05-21-2006, 10:41
Any progress to report, Glaucus?

Glaucus
05-21-2006, 17:28
I'm halfway done, though I must say my conservative nature is getting the better of me. I will try and finish soon, I am just very busy at the moment with school and lacrosse season. I am making steady progress though, and may I ask who is to take the throne after me?

Gaulgath
05-21-2006, 21:53
I am thinking econ21 should go next, unless he has someone else in mind, of course.

econ21
05-21-2006, 23:15
I'm happy to take the next reign, but will defer to anyone else who wants the job. The calls for new PBMers for the RTR game might have brought some new faces to the Throne Room who want to jump in quickly. They can post here and be put on the play list. Hopefully we will only need another one or two reigns to conclude this campaign.

Glaucus
05-22-2006, 01:10
EDIT: write up moved to write up thread

econ21
05-22-2006, 01:20
Good work, Glaucus! But can you post it in the write-ups thread, "Heirs of Alexander":

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=60359

(As it has had no new posts in the last 2 weeks, you won't see it just looking at this forum. You'd need to you select the "from the beginning" option for "show threads" at the bottom of this forum page).

You should be able to edit your post above, cut it and then paste into the appropriate thread. If you run into problems, I can do it for you tomorrow.

Also, it would help if you resize your screenshots to 75%, so they don't disrupt the thread formatting.

Severous
05-26-2006, 00:14
Ive been on these forums a while but dont look in on this part. I didnt know this game was going on.

There was an invite for new players on the main forum ...so here I am. Im up for a go if you want another player. I play real slow, micromanage, and do lots of pictures. Happy to fit in where needed.

(Currently playing Egypt on RTW V1.5 Vanilla vh/vh)

econ21
05-26-2006, 07:37
Welcome, Severous! It would be great if you were next in line for this campaign. I am not quite sure where Glaucus is with his reign, but keep checking back here and when he's done, he will post the name of the save game that you can download. I have a feeling yours might be the last reign in the campaign - we are quite close to our victory conditions.

Braden
05-26-2006, 08:25
Severous, Although the campaign I started a little while back for Carthage is still very much underway you are welcome to join the list for playing that.

I am also planning on starting a PBM specifically aimed at the player who's a "virgin" to PBM games. I'm currently in the "play testing" stage of this one but it will be aimed to be as accessable as possible to the majority of players.

I hope to get this starting within the next two weeks or so as I'm moving house in June and I won't have full net comminication until I've set up my ISP at my new house.

Looks like the game will be Rome 1.5 though. Perhaps the one after this will be a BI game.

Severous
05-26-2006, 10:50
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Im up for any RTW V1.5 events. Have only done one of these before...Carthage sucession game (on another forum).

I have ran several games and competitions before (another game completely) and my suggestion on the planning is try something that all can play at the same time. Like all play the same map/turns and submit their position after 1 week. All ranked and scored according to objective for that week. We then all play on the winners save for another week with different objective for week two. Scored and ranked again and player accumulates scores from first round. Players can opt in or out of each round..but opting out obviously means missing out on a scoring opportunity. This way lots play at the same time.

Braden
05-26-2006, 11:31
As I get deeper into the new Senate based RTR PBM game that econ21 has started the more I’m edging towards doing a simplified version of that.

More players are involved by being members of the Senate, whilst they are not directly involved in the day-to-day running of the game, Senators who’s given Avatars are involved in a battle actually play that battle! And the Senate votes on what is to occur next.

Obviously, such a game is impossible on vanilla 1.5 due to the different Romano factions – which is a shame, but it bares investigation by me for a potential future RTR PBM. I have to say that whilst econ21’s game is very enjoyable (having great fun even as a non-playing Senator!), the rules and myriad of mods required is confusing even for me. It may be that I will propose a RTR based game in some sort shortly….

…but that’s the future (and for when I’ve upgraded my PC!).

As to your suggestion of play. The immediate drawback to that is that players of a lower skill level are likely to never feature greatly, the other aspect lost will be the Role Play value. I personally greatly value the level of Role Play I can do knowing that it is me playing that particular character in the game – without any influence from elsewhere – and that what the next player inherits is entirely in my control.

If I am a poor player or RP due to my characters traits list poorly, then it’s kinda fun to leave an Empire in a pretty worrying state for the next player to take over…..evil I know but none the less, fun.

The PBM’s I like to run are not a PvP competition but rather a PvAi game. Rome can be manipulated in such a way as to make a really challenging game just against the Ai, players work as a team rather than in competition. Whilst your idea has merits – obviously the ability for lots of players to play simultaneously – it’s not a method I will take up for my foreseeable PBM’s.

Do you want adding to my current Carthage campaign by the way?

Severous
05-26-2006, 13:22
Count me in the Carthage game. PM me when (if) my turn comes around.

Here is a link to the Carthage game we played on another forum.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47904&page=6&pp=10
A problem there that I hope we can avoid here on this forum..is the game must move along. There needs to be a real prospect of participating. Otherwise the players waiting weeks/months, high or low skill, could move away and loose interest.

Braden
05-26-2006, 13:39
Certainly, most (if not all) PBM's now have a time limit within their rules that mean failure to update from the current "player" means they lose their turn and the last save file is passed to the next player on the list.

I'm currently chasing mine up today actually.

Glaucus
05-26-2006, 23:41
Hey guys I have some good news and some bad news.

This was my first PBeM, and I think I took longer then most players, so I apologize. The good news so far I've had a blast with the whole PBeM thing. The bad news is I was planning to finish off my reign this weekend, but alas I cannot load the save game. I copied my RTW folder and made one of them into RTR for the Will of the Senate, and now when I'm going back to my old one it won't work. :help: Any advice would be much appreciated, I cannot load any savegames for Vanilla right now. If you'd rather me just pass on the PBeM, I have the save game and can give it away whenever you like.

econ21
05-27-2006, 01:28
Glaucus these things happen when you start playing around with mods. But I can't see why just coping RTW would stop you loading a save, unless you've applied RTR or some patch to the original RTW, rather than the copy. When you install RTR etc, you can change the directory you install into but by default it is like to be your original RTW. Can you load the save on your copy?

If not, I think you have two choices. First, just uninstall everything and start again. Tedious, but reliable and probably necessary in the long run. Second, pass on the savegame, if you can't face playing around with installing etc. Personally, I'd recommend option (1), bur make sure you find a good book or something during the wait. :coffeenews:

Braden
05-30-2006, 14:45
Glaucus, I suggest you upload the .sav to the .org as normal and get the next player on the list to take it as a test (at this point I’ll point out that I’m willing to take that turn but then again I haven’t checked the game roster yet).

If it doesn’t work on their version then the .sav file has become corrupted and we’ve got a problem. If it does work then at least we have a copy in a “remote” location for you to reuse once you’ve sorted your current installs out or decided its too much to deal with and need to pass it on to the next player.

Glaucus
05-30-2006, 20:44
I got it to work again. Only 4 or so more turns so I'll try to finish tonight or tomrrow.

Braden
05-30-2006, 21:18
Yay for you! ~:cheers:

Glaucus
06-01-2006, 01:06
My write up is in the write up thread and the sace file is in the directory as Seleucids201.sav Whose next?

econ21
06-01-2006, 01:25
My write up is in the write up thread and the sace file is in the directory as Seleucids201.sav Whose next?

Excellent! Well done! :2thumbsup:

I think Severous is next, although given that he is still doing the Carthage PBM, I'm not sure how he feels about that.

Anyone else wanting to join this PBM can sign up here.

How much more do we need to do in order to claim victory, Glaucus? It can't be much more than another reign (20 turns), can it?

Severous
06-01-2006, 07:22
Im fully committed to Carthage at the moment. My play style is very slow...part of one turn only yesterday for instance. So please move someone else onto the front line in this campaign. Ta.

Braden
06-01-2006, 08:50
Severous, your commitment to my PBM is comendable....please don't stop :laugh4: you're doing a great job.

econ21, I'm willing to take this one on again if you don't get a fresh player available by the weekend. I should be able to complete a 10 year stint before I have to pack the PC away.

Edit: I’ve realised how stupid I am to think I could cover the next stage of this in one week and whilst I’m busy packing……sorry, sudden rush of blood to my head there.

Severous
06-01-2006, 19:36
Unless someone wants to take over Carthage campaign and I take over on this one. Perhaps the guy with broken PC who had the Carthage campaign before me ?

econ21
06-01-2006, 20:44
Unless someone wants to take over Carthage campaign and I take over on this one. Perhaps the guy with broken PC who had the Carthage campaign before me ?

Personally, I think it would be better to finish off your stint in the Carthage campaign. We can wait a while for any volunteers here (maybe a loser in tomorrow's Will of the Senate PBM elections?).

Glaucus
06-01-2006, 20:45
@ Simon: about half of Italia is ours, so it shouldn't be long before Rome is also. The senate does have 2 full stacks sitting around though, so it may be harder then it seems.

Severous
06-04-2006, 21:17
Hi

My command of the Carthage campaign has ended with my faction leader dead in a city riot.

Do you still want a player to continue the Seleucid campaign ? Im up for it if required.

econ21
06-04-2006, 21:57
Sure - go ahead. I think we just need Rome and one other province to wrap this campaign up.

Severous
06-04-2006, 23:45
OK. I got the save and its working. Had a couple of easy battles in the east to get used to the units and difficulty.

What difficulty is it by the way ?

Are there any special rules ?

Is it OK to post little bits as I go along like I did on the Carthage game ?

econ21
06-05-2006, 00:48
I think it is VH/M. I don't recall any special rules. I am sure posting as you go would be fine. Good hunting! :bow:

Glaucus
06-07-2006, 22:32
Judging by the reports thus far, I want to offer my amazment to you Severous. You took done a large rebel army with only a general and a unit of scythed chariots!?!? Amazing. And only ten men lost too (I think). I impressed. Your a different sort of general then I am, but I must say your amazing.

Severous
06-07-2006, 23:12
Thanks for the comment Glaucus.

Im playing my personal campaign on vh/vh which teaches me a respect for all enemy units. I will take ages to play a campaign and often little battles are taken right down to the final minutes on the battle timer. I try to exploit every tactic I can in the basic unmoddified version of the game.

I have finished the Selucid campaign ...and will catch up with the reports in the next 24 hours.