PDA

View Full Version : PC Zone 12 page wonder?

Monarch
01-28-2006, 12:39
I heard subscribers get their copy of PC Zone a few days early, so anyday now some people should be able to share all the latest news with us. So has anyone got theirs yet?

boastj
01-28-2006, 15:16
Is this in the UK you talking about

Templar Knight
01-28-2006, 16:16
Brief summary here: http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm55.showMessage?topicID=449.topic

Its out in newsagents in the UK on 2nd Feb

The_Doctor
01-28-2006, 17:14
A cannon mounted on an elephant?:dizzy2:

lars573
01-28-2006, 17:21
I know sounds sweet. :2thumbsup:

King Noob the Stupid
01-28-2006, 17:27
Well with the cannons of the time I hope for the casual exploding pachyderm..:laugh4:

Monarch
01-28-2006, 17:28
Well I actually found a shop that sells PCZone (though of course it was an odler edition) so I'll be heading their next weekend to pick up a copy and see for myself. He only says 'a few more' screens, I think he''s playing it down so people didn't get all annoyed that he wasn't scanning in (yes I know he doesn't have a scanner, but people are odd) I think on a 12 page preview therfe has to be more than 'a few' that we havn't seen yet.

doc_bean
01-28-2006, 17:32

The PC Gameplay article talked about cannons pulled by elephants, maybe a misunderstanding here ?

The_Doctor
01-28-2006, 17:49
The PC Gameplay article talked about cannons pulled by elephants, maybe a misunderstanding here ?

Yes, but still it is a bit odd.

boastj
01-28-2006, 17:53
yes well if its not in there i bet someone will MOD it

doc_bean
01-28-2006, 18:06
I hope it's mounted on backwards, with nothing but gunpowder in it.

That's right:

ROCKET POWERED ELEPHANTS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ianofsmeg16
01-28-2006, 18:07
English longbowmen can plant stakes in front ot protect themselves
YESS!!!!!

Mithrandir
01-28-2006, 18:11
English longbowmen can plant stakes in front ot protect themselves

Stakes? (http://whisperingdarkness.com/buffy.jpg).

sorry, couldn't resist.

Leet Eriksson
01-28-2006, 19:19
EDIT:to elaborate..

Elephants with guns sounds fun.. probably will enhance the timurid faction mostly as they used elephants.

I know Mughals used guns mounted on Camels.

Also CA wanted to add a beduin mounted gun warrior or what you callit, but it got axed. But anyways more gun units appearing late game would be pretty cool.

Rodion Romanovich
01-28-2006, 19:54

sorry, couldn't resist.
:gorgeous: a low-cut, lightly dressed Buffy unit would totally rock! :laugh4: :2thumbsup:

===========
I think the longbow stakes sound good, but I think it might be unbalanced and overpowered. Would be best if all units could place field fortifications, and only do so during the deployment phase, maybe also locking it to the defending faction. That would also need locking it with certain general's traits so it would only appear in correct time periods and for the factions that historically used it.

As for the cannon elephants... :wall: I thought screeching women, chanting swimming priests and chariot machineguns would be the climax of the historical inaccuracy spree. However the "secret multiplayer features" might include ability to lock units and set rules when creating a game, so that it'll be possible to play multiplayer without them without having to wait for the first mod that removes them. If that's the case, it means multiplayer won't be broken because too few are prepared to install the major historical accuracy mods.

econ21
01-28-2006, 21:07
:I think the longbow stakes sound good, but I think it might be unbalanced and overpowered. Would be best if all units could place field fortifications, and only do so during the deployment phase, maybe also locking it to the defending faction. That would also need locking it with certain general's traits so it would only appear in correct time periods and for the factions that historically used it.

Very good points. I remember the great wargame Age of Rifles and every unit could entrench quickly becoming incredibly powerful compared to non-entrenched formations. Regardless of historical accuracy, it worsened the gameplay IMO by neutering maneouvre warfare and severely unbalancing things (the AI did not entrench often and tried to take entrenchments with human wave attacks).

Philippus Flavius Homovallumus
01-29-2006, 00:22
Elephants.............with.............Cannon. :wall:

Otherwise sounds great, loving the Longbowmen.

Martok
01-29-2006, 01:52

sorry, couldn't resist.

Longbowmen: The ultimate counter-unit to vampire cavalry! ~D

I think the longbow stakes sound good, but I think it might be unbalanced and overpowered. Would be best if all units could place field fortifications, and only do so during the deployment phase, maybe also locking it to the defending faction. That would also need locking it with certain general's traits so it would only appear in correct time periods and for the factions that historically used it.

I posted in another thread that it would be nice if the defending army had a chance to put up temporary field fortifications--but that the quality of those fortifications ought to depend on how many days the attacker waited before beginning the battle. In other words, the longer the attacker waited, the better the defender's fortifications would be (since the defenders would have more time to build them). Therefore it won't always be in the attacker's best interest to wait for the "perfect" field conditions before giving battle. So if the invader attacks right away, all the defender can do is maybe put a few stakes in the ground. If the attacker waits a few days, however, the defender could possibly build a full palisade (if only a temporary one).

AntiochusIII
01-29-2006, 10:53
Elephants.............with.............Cannon. :wall: Is it my misunderstanding or Elephants are rather timid creatures that might've had problems with the guns mounting on them, or behind them, shooting all those loud, scary noises all the time?

Because that would make elephants-with-cannons rather a breach of reality. I mean, even screeching women and warrior-priests might happen in the realm of loose logic, if not history.

That longbowman think sounds so awesome, but I hope they won't be unbalancing.

Bob the Insane
01-30-2006, 12:45
LOL.. check it out... ;)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cf/Ww1-elephant.jpg/350px-Ww1-elephant.jpg

Even better:

Wikipedia - "It was the use of elephants, again by an Indian Sultanate, that almost put an end to Timur's conquests. In 1398 Timur's army faced more than one hundred Indian elephants in battle and almost lost by pure fear of his troops. Historical accounts say that the Turks won due to an ingenious strategy: Timur set flaming straw on the back of his camels before the charge. The smoke made the camels run forward and scared the elephants, who crushed their own troops in an attempt to retreat"

Replacement for buring pigs... Burning camels?!?!?

Temujin
01-30-2006, 14:36
Is it my misunderstanding or Elephants are rather timid creatures that might've had problems with the guns mounting on them, or behind them, shooting all those loud, scary noises all the time?

Well, elephants aren't just elephants. There are different breeds and conditionings, and the elephants of today aren't necessarily the same as those of the medieval world.

I do know that the Mughals used elephant-mounted musketeers, and sometimes brigaded their elephants with rocket artillerists. They certainly also used their elephants to tow heavy baggage, including artillery pieces. I don't offhand recall any elephant-mounted cannon, but it's not entirely unreasonable, IMO.

I think many people see animals as all being the same, when the smart ones (like elephants) can be as different in their disposition as humans. Pick the right ones, and train them appropriately, and they can do almost anything you want them to.

doc_bean
01-30-2006, 17:14
I think many people see animals as all being the same, when the smart ones (like elephants) can be as different in their disposition as humans. Pick the right ones, and train them appropriately, and they can do almost anything you want them to.

I would be more worried about the physical effects of the recoil than the psychological ones.

Monk
01-31-2006, 00:07
not to derail the current elephant talk but this is what i am most interested in that came out of that article..

Campaign Map - big changes re settlements. You now have to pick a path for your settlements - town/city for trade etc, or fort/castle for military etc. Castles require less micro management than towns/cities - the latter will be the base for agents. Cities will become key in later stages of the game it seems and re-developing a castle to a city will be difficult and costly. oh and a new recruitment system (does not say waht it is though!)

i'm trying desperately not to get my hopes up as i did with rtw.. but when i hear things like this it becomes hard..