PDA

View Full Version : Historical Battles

Orda Khan
01-30-2006, 13:41
There will be certain Historical battles, Saladin, Richard 1st. What Historical battles would you like to see?
My own preference would be......
Battle of Kalka
Battle of Legnica (Liegnitz)
Battle of Sajo (Mohi)
Three astounding battles that deserve a place :yes:

.......Orda

Brutus
01-30-2006, 13:54
Nicea, 1097 (or 1098?)
Siege of Jerusalem, 1099
Hattin, 1187
Bouvines, 1214
Lake Peipus, 1242
Bannockburn, 1314
Crecy, 1346
Poitiers, 1356
Agincourt, 1415
Nancy, 1477
Pavia, 1525

This list could go on for ever and ever...

Templar Knight
01-30-2006, 14:04
Fornovo 1495

Ibn Munqidh
01-30-2006, 14:04
Definetly Hattin! Would like to see more battles of crusades too.

L'Impresario
01-30-2006, 14:24
Mantzikert 1071
Dyrrhachion 1081
Doryleum 1097
Ascalon 1099
Myriokephalon 1176
Jaffa 1191
Arsuf 1192
Adrianople 1205
Las Navas de Tolosa 1212
Lake Peypus 1242
Benevento 1266
etc etc
And now that the game period is extended up to the 16th century, one could expect Granada, Mohacs , apart from the early 15th cent. classic ones, like Tannenberg and Agincourt.

An endless list it could be indeed. But for many battles there aren't enough info to depict in great detail.

Ash
01-30-2006, 17:29
Manzikert 1071, Las Navas de Tolosa 1212, Agincourt 1415. But they've already been said.

zakalwe
01-30-2006, 17:51
Some Scottish ones. I've starred the ones i'd personally really like to see

Battle of the Standard 1138 **
Battle of Largs 1263
Battle of Dunbar 1296
Battle of Stirling Bridge 1297 **
Battle of Falkirk 1298
Bannockburn 1314 **
Battle of Dupplin Moor 1332
Battle of Halidon Hill 1333
Battle of Nevilles Cross 1346
Battle of Otterburn 1388
Battle of Harlaw 1411 **
Battle of Sauchieburn 1488
Battle of Flodden 1513 **

Orda Khan
01-30-2006, 18:00
Some nice lists so far. To save on too much repetition perhaps list only the battles you really would like to see. Maybe your top five choices

........Orda

Ultras DVSC
01-30-2006, 18:46
My own preference would be......
Battle of Kalka
Battle of Legnica (Liegnitz)
Battle of Sajo (Mohi)
Three astounding battles that deserve a place :yes:

Yeah, but these battles have only significance and there were no really tricky strategic actions in them, the mongols won just by their huge numerical superiority, that's all. And Muhi is written with "u", that's a general mistake. ;)

Martok
01-30-2006, 20:06
Well I think pretty much all the major battles I'd like to see have already been listed, except for one: the Ottoman's siege of Constantinople. I'm surprised no one had mentioned this one yet!

Orda Khan
01-30-2006, 21:13
Yeah, but these battles have only significance and there were no really tricky strategic actions in them, the mongols won just by their huge numerical superiority, that's all. And Muhi is written with "u", that's a general mistake. ;)
I used the commonly used spelling.
Modern generals and historians agree on the strategic brilliance of Subedei, yet we are expected to fall for that old chestnut? No strategic action and numerical superiority? That is simply not true. At the Sajo river, a bridge was taken and another pontoon was constructed away from the scene of the initial engagement. It began in the early hours (dark) and victory relied on the genius of Subedei who crossed unopposed to provide the much needed reserve and complete the victory.

Legnica...numerical superiority? Two Tumens that had already seen years of fighting (so probably not the full 20,000 quota) sent on a diversionary mission through Poland, that so conclusively defeated the armies sent to stop them.

....And Kalka again numerical superiority?? A reconnaissance force that had just fought its way around the Caspian, that drew the Russian and allied forces into a trap and then against overwhelming odds DESTROYED them....

The facts are that the Mongol armies in question were outnumbered, some by more than others. The European propoganda of the time states the numerical superiority of the Mongol forces but historians know that for what it is, a pathetic excuse to explain away such catastrophic defeats

.......Orda

Azi Tohak
01-30-2006, 21:19
Yeah! I knew that something interesting occured on the battlefields. Wars did not consist of sieges!

You guys do I know I'm being sarcastic right? But I am very pleased with the list so far. Any clues on how to get Aztecs onto the list as well? Tenochtitlan would be nice, but I don't know if the RTW engine can support what, 80,000 Aztecs? I don't know of any other 'battles' for the conquistodors. At all.

Azi

Monarch
01-30-2006, 21:41
Yeah! I knew that something interesting occured on the battlefields. Wars did not consist of sieges!

You guys do I know I'm being sarcastic right? But I am very pleased with the list so far. Any clues on how to get Aztecs onto the list as well? Tenochtitlan would be nice, but I don't know if the RTW engine can support what, 80,000 Aztecs? I don't know of any other 'battles' for the conquistodors. At all.

Azi
I think Aztecs will be emerging, and thus not real deserving a historical battle above all the other great ones listed. We know they are playerable, but that guy said for multiplayer didn't he? Romano british, Slavs etc are all emerging that are playsble in mp.

The Blind King of Bohemia
01-30-2006, 22:11
An aztec campaign could see you first defeating the tribes that would later join him, then maybe getting a certain number of troops out of Technochitlan on the night of sadness when the Aztecs turned on the conquistadors after the latters brutal acts, then the battle of Otuma where the spanish cavalry cut the Aztec army to pieces then the final siege and attack on the Aztec capital

Incongruous
01-30-2006, 22:44
Wakefield Green

Tewkesbry

Redmore/Bosworth

St.Albans the second battle.

The Blind King of Bohemia
01-30-2006, 23:35
A war of the roses historical campaign would be good. I could also see a hundred years war or maybe the scots' English wars.

doc_bean
01-30-2006, 23:37
Well I think pretty much all the major battles I'd like to see have already been listed, except for one: the Ottoman's siege of Constantinople. I'm surprised no one had mentioned this one yet!

I was just going too :2thumbsup:

I would also like the 'Guldensporenslag' since it's the Flemish holiday, basically, it's a bunch of French knights who get stuck in the mud (or even a swap) and then get beaten by a bunch of peasants.

Okay, it wouldn't make a good battle, but I just want it in !

Beirut
01-31-2006, 00:06
Agincourt 1415

Martok
01-31-2006, 03:47
Beirut, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that perhaps Agincourt is your first choice, yes? ~;p

Trajanus
01-31-2006, 05:40
Jaffa and Arsuf would be great I think.

ajaxfetish
01-31-2006, 05:46
Dang, almost all my favorites are already in. Maybe I can add Nicopolis in 1396.

Otherwise, if I was to pick a top 4 or 5 . . . hmm . . .

Manzikert
Bouvines
Crecy/Agincourt (one or both)
Dorylaeum
Courtrai

Ajax

Incongruous
01-31-2006, 06:27
Do you know what would be really cool a what if historical campaign. It 1422 Henry V is king of England and France, the Dukes of Burgundy cross the Loire.

Or Richard King defend Jerusaleum against counter attack.

The Byzantines have beaten the Turks at Manzikert and prepare to reclaim the Empire in Asia.

Cooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllll:2thumbsup:

Weebeast
01-31-2006, 10:25
My battles are listed already.

Maybe Montgisard..or Hattin as Jerusalem (I like playing as losers).

Beirut
01-31-2006, 12:25
Beirut, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that perhaps Agincourt is your first choice, yes? ~;p

:yes:

If I could get M:TW gameplay with M:TWII graphics, I'd shell out full price just for a Hundred Years War scenario.

Duke John
01-31-2006, 14:04
Wars of the Roses battles:
Tewkesbury, Barnet, Towton and Bosworth.

Mr White
01-31-2006, 15:22
I was just going too :2thumbsup:

I would also like the 'Guldensporenslag' since it's the Flemish holiday, basically, it's a bunch of French knights who get stuck in the mud (or even a swap) and then get beaten by a bunch of peasants.

Okay, it wouldn't make a good battle, but I just want it in !

The battle near Courtrai in 1302 = Guldensporenslag = battle of the golden spurs

For one the French didn't get stuck in the mud, the just couldn't charge at full speed because there was a small stream just in front of where the Flemish were deployed. Most knights could cross it without a problem but were to close to hit the Flemish line hard enough to break through. It was just smart deployement.

Secondly, the bunch of peasants were crossbowmen, pikemen, urban militia and foot knights. This was a fearsome army as all of them were well equiped and at least reasonably trained.
A French knight was thought to be worth 20 infantery men but after Courtrai goedendag men (part of the urban militia) were said to be able to kill 5 knights. Of course their succes was partly caused by the cooperation with the pikemen, who would stop the charge of the French knights after wich the the goedendag men would knock down the knights.

It was an important battle because the first time in medieval history a entire infantry army was able to defeat a mainly mounted one. It was that shocking that the pope was notified only seven days after the events.

kataphraktoi
01-31-2006, 17:15
Kosovo (cant remember date) 1376?
Ottermans vs the Serbians

Ain Jalut
Mammals vs Monkeys

1204 siege of constantinople
Cursed adders vs Ovaltines

Siege of Rhodes (by Mehmed)
Hospitalised versus Octogenarians

Hmm, I think this one is great

Battle of Historical Accuracy.
cAN'T remember date, but it was one hell of a battle that lasted for ages.
Good battle though.
If I remember the contestants correctly.

CA versus everyone.

Although in all seriousness, 1453 would be a great challenge as the Byzantines.

cutepuppy
01-31-2006, 21:32
nicopolis (1396)
french heavy cavalry and hungarian light cavalry vs janissaries and sipahis.