PDA

View Full Version : Unit details questions

Zatoichi
02-01-2006, 09:28
A thought on the new 'random' arms/armour feature in the units - do you think this will be an option? Like in RTW you currently have the option to select/unselect the desynchronised unit animation option in the preference.txt to boost performance at the cost of visual imersion so maybe this random look will also be turn-offable to boost performance on less state-of-the-art pcs? I'm sure there are people with lower spec pcs who would rather have a return to clone armies than a beautiful slideshow. Obviously there may well be other ways of boosting performance via the details settings, I was just wondering if this was another possibility.

Another question - do you think the 'random' unit is generated on the fly before each battle, or will it remember which soldier had which body/head/shield/weapon combination from the very first battle the unit fights in? I know the TW series always keeps track of an individual soldier's stats in respect to experience, but I wonder whether this is now expanded to keep track of which combo each soldier is made up from.

sapi
02-01-2006, 09:37
Another question - do you think the 'random' unit is generated on the fly before each battle, or will it remember which soldier had which body/head/shield/weapon combination from the very first battle the unit fights in? I know the TW series always keeps track of an individual soldier's stats in respect to experience, but I wonder whether this is now expanded to keep track of which combo each soldier is made up from.I hope so...

doc_bean
02-01-2006, 11:19
A thought on the new 'random' arms/armour feature in the units - do you think this will be an option?

Probably, I can't see why not, it can only broaden their market.

Another question - do you think the 'random' unit is generated on the fly before each battle, or will it remember which soldier had which body/head/shield/weapon combination from the very first battle the unit fights in? I know the TW series always keeps track of an individual soldier's stats in respect to experience, but I wonder whether this is now expanded to keep track of which combo each soldier is made up from.

Technically, it's only a additional few numbers that have to be stored per unit, but I'm not sure how this will translate into loading times, there are a lot of units...

Anti-hero
02-02-2006, 10:42
A thought on the new 'random' arms/armour feature in the units - do you think this will be an option? Like in RTW you currently have the option to select/unselect the desynchronised unit animation option in the preference.txt to boost performance at the cost of visual imersion so maybe this random look will also be turn-offable to boost performance on less state-of-the-art pcs? I'm sure there are people with lower spec pcs who would rather have a return to clone armies than a beautiful slideshow. Obviously there may well be other ways of boosting performance via the details settings, I was just wondering if this was another possibility.

I'm afraid it won't be adjustable by the player. It's one of their main features, something their marketing will be boasting about (and for a reason too!), so I doubt they'll make it customizable. I still hope they will though, for the same reasons you mentioned.

I also wondered about this. I hope there will be such a thing in the game. It would make quite a difference if your squad has been reduced to 15-20 men during a battle. Then I would certainly notice if their appearance changes between battles. But this will be more of an exeption. Usually there will be too many guys out there to remember everyone's equipment and shape of helmet. What I keep my fingers crossed for, is commanders that look the same from one battle to another.

hoom
02-04-2006, 01:07
I'm hoping for maintained appearance between battles, that would be awesome but I would not be surprised if it is random each battle & that is still vastly better than clones.

The whole feature is quite fascinating really.
When RTW came out in the first place I remember a fairly intense debate between various .org members & several CA members, .org arguing that individual soldiers should be quite practical without much if any performance hit vs CA arguing that it was massively impractical, then MTW2 has very much the system argued for as a key feature...

TB666
02-04-2006, 01:28
I doubt you will be able to turn the random stuff on and off.
This seems to be a pretty advanced thing so I doubt you can just turn it off.
But it might be related to unit detail however.
If you have high or above you will get random but if you have lower then you will get clones.

Incongruous
02-04-2006, 10:39
I reckon it will be the new animations not the individualisations that will be the main problem fo lower spec pc's.