PDA

View Full Version : Oh this sucks...

BrSpiritus
02-02-2006, 13:09
Finally got VI to work properly so set up my computer with 57k connection to download all 140 megs of the XL mod. Get up in the morning and 97% complete... at 99% the connection decides to reset... ARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!:furious3:

BrSpiritus

Monarch
02-02-2006, 17:00
57k? Wow, I know it sucks when people answer questions like 'buy this' but you can pick up at least 1mg broadband for as little as £15 a month these days, how much are paying for 57k? If it's more than £5, I'd swap.

Martok
02-02-2006, 21:01
Yeah, that really blows. A pity too, because XL is a lot of fun!

BrSpiritus
02-02-2006, 21:50
I was able to download the "lite" verson and install it. The next time I go over my friends house I'll d/l the full version there and rip it to CD. As for going braodband myself. Well I just don't have the money. I live in the states and local cable company has a monopoly on service so $65 a month which is what about £40 a month.

aw89
02-02-2006, 22:01
One word (well, two): Download manager

BHCWarman88
02-03-2006, 03:37
Yeah, I live in America too, and it can cost from 20-60 Dollars a Month. 20 bucks a month for first 3 months for Comcast,then it jumps to 40-60 bucks a month.. I got 56K aslo..

Samurai Waki
02-03-2006, 03:37
...get a T3 Connection! I love it, but I understand as I temporarily was on a 56k modem, and I was dl' a mod for UT2004, after 15 hours of downloads I go to unzip it, and it says the file is corrupted!~:mad

BHCWarman88
02-03-2006, 03:40
ahahha that sucks. I was downloadeding a 35-36MB file for EE2 )emprie Earth 2) and it was going to take 2- 2 1/2 hours,no mroe then 3. well,20-30 minutes left,my mom ad brother makes me sign off.... 2 mreMB to go..... I finally got it,lol..

Sir Chauncy
02-04-2006, 11:58
Am i reading this right?

£40 a month for Broadband?

This is in the states right? I was under the impression that everything over there was astonishing when it came to the internet, free upgrades, prices falling and they even threw in a Columbian master coffee maker for a month as an incentive to stay with their company?

What speed would that £40 a month get you out of interest?

C-F
02-04-2006, 12:34
Am i reading this right?

This is in the states right? I was under the impression that everything over there was astonishing when it came to the internet, free upgrades, prices falling and they even threw in a Columbian master coffee maker for a month as an incentive to stay with their company?

What speed would that £40 a month get you out of interest?

Well, I'm paying $40/ month for 3Mbps - didn't get a coffee maker though :coffeenews:~:angry:

ZombieFriedNuts
02-04-2006, 13:45
ha ha im at uni and getting free Broadband
commence evil laugh.

TosaInu
02-04-2006, 13:56

This is in the states right? I was under the impression that everything over there was astonishing when it came to the internet, free upgrades, prices falling

USA is a pretty large landmass and there are rural and just less dense populated spots. Options aren't unlimited everywhere. When a company finally invests to bring something, prices go up.

KukriKhan
02-04-2006, 14:13
I can confirm that. My in-laws live in Corona, New Mexico, population 208, primary industry: pinto bean farming. Last year, the town voted to NOT get cable TV & internet extended into town, because the cable company wanted to charge $400 per household for the privilege of digging up their streets.

Oh, and $50 per month for 'basic' service.

So they chug along at about 44Kbps on dial-up. :snore:

Just A Girl
02-04-2006, 14:31
Link me to the file.
Il download it.
And split it in to 5 20mb parts.
ETA
2hours. per part With 56k Modem.
so 10 hours total.
Il post a link here when ive done it.

C-F
02-04-2006, 15:15
ha ha im at uni and getting free Broadband
commence evil laugh.

LOL, I don't know where you go to college, but my son also has 'free' access, except I'm paying roughly $7,500.00 every six months + room &board for that privilege :sweatdrop: :wall: :furious3:

PseRamesses
02-04-2006, 15:34
Here in Sweden Broadband isn´t that expensive. I pay less than 20$ for mine. Never a hassle and lightningfast. The cool thing is that I get it through the electrical grid net. Who could have imagined that 15 years ago?

Just A Girl
02-04-2006, 15:43
we pay on avarage £15 - £25 per month. for bradband around here.

Equates to aporx $30-$50
So Its the same price In general.
but americans should have more spare cash than we do.
Due to cheap fule. Food. Electronics. Excetera.
Meaning on avarage they spend Less Per month than we do so can generaly afoard more,
Although Prices equate to the same.

Cost of living in uk is aproximatly 4x that of the usa.

I.e
A box of cigaretts here 20 cigaretts costs aproximatly £4-£5
$8-$10
A leeter of petrol here is More than £1.00
$2.
A leeter is 0.2200 of a gallon

You guys should count your self lucky.

C-F
02-04-2006, 15:59
we pay on avarage £15 - £25 per month. for bradband around here.

Equates to aporx $30-$50
So Its the same price In general.
but americans should have more spare cash than we do.
Due to cheap fule. Food. Electronics. Excetera.
Meaning on avarage they spend Less Per month than we do so can generaly afoard more,
Although Prices equate to the same.

Cost of living in uk is aproximatly 4x that of the usa.

I.e
A box of cigaretts here 20 cigaretts costs aproximatly £4-£5
$8-$10
A leeter of petrol here is More than £1.00
$2.
A leeter is 0.2200 of a gallon

You guys should count your self lucky.

a) Except for every mile you have to drive we have to drive 3-4 which evens that part out ~;)
b) Cigarettes are indeed cheaper, but you pay lot more for health care...you are not supposed to smoke anyways :cough:cough:

Just A Girl
02-04-2006, 16:01
LOL.
With the winding roads we have up here in the mountains.
We are usualy in 1st or second gear.
So every mile we drive we use more fule than you do driving 4.

BHCWarman88
02-04-2006, 17:28
I can confirm that. My in-laws live in Corona, New Mexico, population 208, primary industry: pinto bean farming. Last year, the town voted to NOT get cable TV & internet extended into town, because the cable company wanted to charge $400 per household for the privilege of digging up their streets.

Oh, and $50 per month for 'basic' service.

So they chug along at about 44Kbps on dial-up. :snore:

yeah, My Grandma Pays $52 just for "Basic" Cable TV. I got Basic and Digtinal Cable, so my dad pays like 80 or so bucks a month,plus any Wrestling Pay Per Views I order,so his bills comes around 120-140, only 80 if you take out the Pay-Per-View

BrSpiritus
02-04-2006, 17:52
:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: (At the mere thought everything is cheaper in the States) As far as prices go everything is relative. I live in Maryland so I'm getting taxed to death on top of higher prices. My local cable company is a monopoly which is sad because we're right outside of Baltimore, suburbia not country. Cable Modem would be $67/month on top of the $54/month for basic cable. Sorry but I just can't afford it. I work 2 jobs just to be able to pay my mum's medical bills. Anyhow, enough of that. I did succeed in downloading the Lite version of XL (minus the music) and I've been playing it. It definately is a big change from vanilla MTW+VI. I especially like the new units. I'm like a kid in a candy shop I can't make up my mind what to build next.

BrSpiritus

BHCWarman88
02-04-2006, 19:35
vanillia MTW=VI?? what we talking about Mediveal total war??

Susanne
02-05-2006, 03:16
I was able to download the "lite" verson and install it. The next time I go over my friends house I'll d/l the full version there and rip it to CD. As for going braodband myself. Well I just don't have the money. I live in the states and local cable company has a monopoly on service so $65 a month which is what about £40 a month.

Ouch, that sucks. :S

BHCWarman88
02-05-2006, 03:22
:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: (At the mere thought everything is cheaper in the States) As far as prices go everything is relative. I live in Maryland so I'm getting taxed to death on top of higher prices. My local cable company is a monopoly which is sad because we're right outside of Baltimore, suburbia not country. Cable Modem would be $67/month on top of the $54/month for basic cable. Sorry but I just can't afford it. I work 2 jobs just to be able to pay my mum's medical bills. Anyhow, enough of that. I did succeed in downloading the Lite version of XL (minus the music) and I've been playing it. It definately is a big change from vanilla MTW+VI. I especially like the new units. I'm like a kid in a candy shop I can't make up my mind what to build next.

BrSpiritus

Not Everything is Cheaper in the USA. just like everything isn't made in USA. I swear to god 98% of our goods,expect for some hats and games I have, are made in China or other counties. like I said, only some Hats and Games I got that are made here..lol..

BrSpiritus
02-05-2006, 04:52
Not Everything is Cheaper in the USA. just like everything isn't made in USA. I swear to god 98% of our goods,expect for some hats and games I have, are made in China or other counties. like I said, only some Hats and Games I got that are made here..lol..

:laugh4: HA HA! I work at China-Mart oops I mean Wal-Mart :P

BHCWarman88
02-05-2006, 17:52
LOL it should be China-Mart
and K-mart should be C-Mart

BrSpiritus
02-06-2006, 01:36
LOL it should be China-Mart
and K-mart should be C-Mart

Ask and ye shall receive

http://www.cmartdiscount.com/

BrSpiritus

BHCWarman88
02-06-2006, 05:34
well I be damned,lol,C-mart,ROFL,cool link,lol

Monarch
02-06-2006, 16:56
Wow that sucks, in Britain there's so much competition that prices a releatively low. I'm on 2mg BT Broadband, with wireless internet connection. £24 a month. Though if I was in the area, I'd most certainly be on NTL, £30 a month for phone, broadband and digital TV.

dagiz
02-08-2006, 21:39
I feel for you I really do. I was running on 56k and there were times I would cry (yeah, try dl'ing the XL mod on 56k - had to wait till I got to work to get the whole thing).

we just upgraded to cable internet (solution - disconnect primary phone and use only cell phones). It actually was less to add on cable that way (and btw, it rocks!) than having to pay $45usd for phone (stupid qwest) and $20 for earthlink.

Don't know if this will help, but every once and a while, if you are able to, comcast (if that's your cable company) will send epople out to stores like comp usa to sign people up. typically you can sign up for less than $40 a month, get a free modem, and also get a $75 rebate for a year.

of course, the price goes up to $49.95 per month after the year, but by than you may be able to do it.

granted, this may not work in all areas. just a thought.

gardibolt
02-08-2006, 23:42
I may need to look into going cable internet. My phone lines are so crappy that I'm limited to 40K on DSL, which is ridiculously slow.