PDA

View Full Version : Thats 20,000 florins for me....

Scurvy
02-02-2006, 22:49
I was just playing campaign on xl as english, and about halfway through early era was attacked by a massive danish army in Flanders lead by their king, my army mainly made up of saxon huscarles and norman knights smashed through the viking infantry, but i then managed to circle completely and in the chain rout captured the danish king, 4 princes, several nobles, and around 700 normal men, the danes then paid up giving me 20,000 florins for my effort (which for me is huge as im not very good at the whole money thing...)

anyhow, i'd be interested to know what the largest ransom money amounts you've gained.... :2thumbsup:

Budwise
02-03-2006, 00:14
Um, thats by far the biggest I have seen. I don't keep track but I think my biggest was about 14,000.

Geezer57
02-03-2006, 00:51
Playing on Expert, I've had almost the same amount paid under similar circumstances. It's obvously a lucky phenomenon that doesn't happen often. But, boy, what fun when it comes your way!:laugh4:

Budwise
02-03-2006, 04:11
I ransomed the Egyptian king back twice in two turns, getting over 20,000. Which is really really nice playing Turks on Early within the first 10 years. After that bump, I have been unstoppable.

Betito
02-03-2006, 05:24
We would have to make this extensive to rebel captures but...

In one of my Turkish campaigns, i deicded not to face the Horde, so i, who was in control of Khazar, simply backed off before they came.

1230, the Horde comes, the Khan dies!(How?? i don't know, and i didn't really care)

so, by 1231 i send a Jihad... well, more like 20 Jihads and 2 full stacks, to reconquer Khazar. To my surprise, the rebels decided to let me "go through" without resistance.

The outcome of all that was: 18000 soldiers captures, for a total of 96,000 florins... i released them all for showing true piety ~D

Other than that, a couple king ransoms for 15k... that's it

NodachiSam
02-03-2006, 05:34
Wait, 20 Jihads? Maybe an exageration but I didn't know you could have more than one.

Martok
02-03-2006, 06:28
Wait, 20 Jihads? Maybe an exageration but I didn't know you could have more than one.

Nope, you can have as many Jihads going on as you want. It's definitely one of the cooler features of playing a Muslim faction. ~D

Ignoramus
02-03-2006, 08:39
I've gotten 14,000 florins in vannila MTW, but was easy. In the late era as England, you simply take a large force early on and invade Denmark, the Danes always retreat, but because they have Estonia, they ransom their king and two princes~D

Ciaran
02-03-2006, 12:02
Some ten thousand for captured kings, but it´s seldom you get such elusive game. And the country doesn´t always have the money to pay up.
It´s a bit of luck, really, whether or not you capture Nobles on the battlefield, but ransom has paid more than one campaign for me.

gaijinalways
02-03-2006, 12:09
Maybe 10K, as stated earlier, on expert it's not always so easy as some factions refuse and let the king or prince die!

matteus the inbred
02-03-2006, 12:10
i've had to PAY 23,000 florins to get my Viking King and his two heirs and about 500 huscarles back after having my sea links unexpectedly broken...:furious3:

I've taken Sicily and ransomed the Sicilian ruler and several heirs back for around 18,000fl as well though. It's very rare to be that lucky (excluding the ol' 'Egyptian trick'). Most of the time I get 63 florins, a ticket to the latest Gregorian Chants Massive concert and a halfeaten ratburger for giving the French their 49 peasants back in a reasonably untortured condition, or similar.

Vladimir
02-03-2006, 15:05
Well I WOULD HAVE made a killing off the Lithuanians I captured recently. For some dafted reason when I invaded them with a stack and a half they retreated....to nowhere (only had one providence). The ransom was refused and I didn't get a florin.

matteus the inbred
02-03-2006, 15:29
Well I WOULD HAVE made a killing off the Lithuanians I captured recently. For some dafted reason when I invaded them with a stack and a half they retreated....to nowhere (only had one providence). The ransom was refused and I didn't get a florin.

ah, the ransoms that got away...!

btw, i don't know if you can ransom rebels; unless this was a modded game? You can nick their property worth xxxx florins though. And then have them all executed, the grovelling swine. Mwahahahaaaa.

Vladimir
02-03-2006, 18:54
ah, the ransoms that got away...!

btw, i don't know if you can ransom rebels; unless this was a modded game? You can nick their property worth xxxx florins though. And then have them all executed, the grovelling swine. Mwahahahaaaa.

Forgot to mention that it was XL.

Martok
02-03-2006, 21:14
i've had to PAY 23,000 florins to get my Viking King and his two heirs and about 500 huscarles back after having my sea links unexpectedly broken...:furious3:

Sadly, I can actually top that. Back when I first got MTW, I was playing a game as the Spanish. I actually had a good-sized empire going, covering the Iberian peninsula, most of North Africa, and western Europe up to the Rhine River. I was pretty much at peace with everyone....except the Sicilians kept pissing me off by sinking my shipping in the Mediterranean. I finally lost patience and launched a seaborne invasion of Naples with about 2500 men, personally led my my uber-king (all his stats were 7 or better). The Sicilians immediately retreated, and all seemed well.

The next turn, however, they counterattacked with a force of about 1800 men. And in one of the only times I've ever witnessed the AI factions teaming up in the same battle, the Pope had dispatched another 800-900 troops to assist them. Well to make a long story short (and to spare you the ugly details), I actually managed to lose that battle. :furious3: As mediocre a field commander as I am now, I was even worse back then!

The total ransom for my king and his fine army: 62,000 florins. :wall: :wall: :wall: (I had no direct heirs at the time, and wanted to avoid a civil war at all possible.) Needless to say, I never again was foolish enough to launch a seaborne attack with my faction leader. I always leave him safe at home now!

antisocialmunky
02-03-2006, 23:20
Never send your king overseas, there's a pretty good chance of everything going rebel as you can blockade really easily.

Martok
02-04-2006, 08:24
Never send your king overseas, there's a pretty good chance of everything going rebel as you can blockade really easily.

Yeah, no kidding! Talk about learning my lesson the hard way.... :oops:

Ciaran
02-04-2006, 20:52
You know, when your king dies his heir takes over the job in some place. I´ve read it´s supposed to be the province that´s got the most advanced buildings, for my XL HRE campaign I cannot confirm that, my new king popped up in Sweden, of all places. I should mention that I had aquired this nice northern province not by force but the manner of bribery- the Swedes were sick of Danish rule and went rebels and as I was under Papal supervision and couldn´t go against the Danes (my only neighbor, apart from the English and Hungarians, both my allies) I was forced to limit my empire groth to revolting provinces. Cutting a long story short, my king was in Sweden, with no way back home for a couple of years (the blasted province didn´t even have a port :oops: ).

Cowhead418
02-04-2006, 22:41
You know, when your king dies his heir takes over the job in some place. I´ve read it´s supposed to be the province that´s got the most advanced buildings, for my XL HRE campaign I cannot confirm that, my new king popped up in Sweden, of all places. I should mention that I had aquired this nice northern province not by force but the manner of bribery- the Swedes were sick of Danish rule and went rebels and as I was under Papal supervision and couldn´t go against the Danes (my only neighbor, apart from the English and Hungarians, both my allies) I was forced to limit my empire groth to revolting provinces. Cutting a long story short, my king was in Sweden, with no way back home for a couple of years (the blasted province didn´t even have a port :oops: ).

The King shows up in the province with the most buildings, not the most advanced province.

hlawrenc
02-06-2006, 16:31
20,000 florin is good. Although with enemy king captured it was my understanding that captured enemy king always nets 10,000 regardless of who else is pow. Reading MTW guides on Turkish factions that was one of Katank's stratgies in early phases of game to increase bank account quickly by continously capturing Egyptian Sultan and cashing in 10,000 each turn.

However discussions here brings up question, has anyone ever captured a king, sultan, emperor, etc. and had the ransom refused?

Knowing (assuming) I get 10,000 for an enemy faction leader captured not killed, often causes me to spend a lot of time chasing him around the battle field hoping not to kill him, especially when strapped for cash.

matteus the inbred
02-06-2006, 17:31
However discussions here brings up question, has anyone ever captured a king, sultan, emperor, etc. and had the ransom refused?

I think I have, but I can't have noticed it much. Pretty sure it was the French, and they had loads of heirs and only a province or two left. According to the manual the AI will almost always ransom if it can, even if it means going into the red...factions with elected leaders (mainly HRE, it's apparently impossible to capture the Pope!) might be less likely to ransom? It's not a strategy I go out of my way to practice, really...

Martok
02-06-2006, 18:43

Oh yeah, that happens to me....well, I shouldn't say "often"; but it's not exactly rare either. Generally, ransom for a faction leader is more likely to be refused if I already have that faction in dire straits (i.e., they only have 1-2 provinces left).

Geezer57
02-07-2006, 03:27

Have captured faction leaders several times, and had the ransom refused. It obviously never happens unless there's an heir to step into the old ruler's place. When there are heirs, the refusal often seems due to a cash-strapped status at the time.

ajaxfetish
02-07-2006, 04:22
If there's no heir, though (and they have at least one other province left), they'll always ransom the king back, even if they have to go into debt.

Ajax

Loucipher
02-07-2006, 10:13
If there's no heir, though (and they have at least one other province left), they'll always ransom the king back, even if they have to go into debt.

Ajax

Really? I've seen the contrary. As mentioned in some other thread, I managed to end the dynasty of England in one swift move, killing one of the heirs and capturing the King and a second heir, then having the ransom refused for them. To make things clear, the English had no less than three provinces of the British Isles in their possession then - Wessex, Mercia and Northumbria (probably also Wales, but I coudn't check that one). Still, ransom refusal meant that they went rebel, which allowed me to paint the Isles blue over the next 20 years or so... ~:)

Ciaran
02-08-2006, 11:10
That was probably because you captured the heir, too. The game obviously only checked whether an heir existed at all, not whether he was save or captured.

Loucipher
02-10-2006, 13:34
Ah yes, this may well have been the case. Looks like a king eradicating tactics ~:)

KrooK
02-10-2006, 15:25
I received about 26000 for Italian king.

And you can have as much jihads as you want.
Great tactic for turks at the early era is capturing province and allowing enemy reconquer it.
When muslims loose province, they can send jihads. This way paying 500 florins you can have one jihad. In every jihad there is not less than 2 units worth 300 each - you earn 100. And you can send for example 6 jihads - elite units in everyone. :)

Matty
03-28-2006, 14:55
37000 and some change from the horde after they emerged in Armenia with 5000 men - lost 2000 in the battle and the remainder (along with 7 nobles) fled the field. As they had just emerged you get the ransom from those that leg it, rather than just for those that you actually capture on the field of battle.

Just enjoyed the 'citadel with organ gun' defence in Georgia - something of a shame the game doesn't register those mown down by your castle defenses as well as this was an absolute massacre.

Vladimir
03-28-2006, 15:00
37000 and some change from the horde after they emerged in Armenia with 5000 men - lost 2000 in the battle and the remainder (along with 7 nobles) fled the field. As they had just emerged you get the ransom from those that leg it, rather than just for those that you actually capture on the field of battle.

Just enjoyed the 'citadel with organ gun' defence in Georgia - something of a shame the game doesn't register those mown down by your castle defenses as well as this was an absolute massacre.

How did you employ your organ guns?

Joshwa
03-28-2006, 15:26
Really? I've seen the contrary. As mentioned in some other thread, I managed to end the dynasty of England in one swift move, killing one of the heirs and capturing the King and a second heir, then having the ransom refused for them. To make things clear, the English had no less than three provinces of the British Isles in their possession then - Wessex, Mercia and Northumbria (probably also Wales, but I coudn't check that one). Still, ransom refusal meant that they went rebel, which allowed me to paint the Isles blue over the next 20 years or so... ~:)

I've come to suspect that the AI sometimes deliberately kills off their own faction, in the knowledge that you wont be able to secure all their old lands, and that theyll be able to reemerge just as powerful as before in a few years

Matty
03-28-2006, 15:33
Stood it behind the gate. The AI sends in a unit at a time and they get picked off on the long march to the gate. Most of the rest get killed breaking through and as soon as they do - whammo - they get the organ gun. Subsequent units get sent, losing forces from the castle walls until they get the the gate and get the same treatment. Losses are so high the unit routs immediately, sometimes to recover and come back for a second helping. You have to watch it carefully as the gunners eventually ran around their gun and engaged a unit of MHC hand to hand. Not terribly clever.

Anyway, it was just an amusement - I had two units of Italian infantry mercenaries waiting to fill the gate and they really made mincemeat of the Horde. Should definately have taken the time limit off the game.

Horatius
03-29-2006, 01:39
I don't know so much about getting ransom because I always panic about losing the battle and have all my prisoners get killed, but I once spent 750,000 Florins to ransom my King from the Excommunicated Spanish who rulled most of the Map, surrounded France, you see I sent my King and his army to invade Navarre, however that very turn Aquataine was invaded and so I could not retreat him back to France and had to pay Ransom.