PDA

View Full Version : Captives

Braden
02-03-2006, 14:05
One of the good features of Medieval was being able to capture and then ransom back opposing factions troops.

However, what I thought was lacking was a third option to not just put them to death but to add them to your own forces either as Mercs or as low loyalty troops.

Many the time I was actually upset as I had to murder 1,000's of troops just because their faction didn't want to pay the ransom :no: I'd often thought I could make use of these men and frankly its not realistic to waste them in such a way.

Agree/disagree/alternatives you'd like to see on the theme?

boastj
02-03-2006, 14:26
So you win a glorious battle against your enemies who over the years have grown to hate you why else would they be at war with you. You arm and armour your enemies men send them into battle against your enemies, with your men you engage and what happens o no my enemies men are destroying my flank arr why there supposed to be on my side.
Yes quite the best idler all year along with the chocolate teapot.

Bob the Insane
02-03-2006, 16:23
I have to say disagree to rearming them on your side...

The kill or ransom options are good for me, though it would be nice to distinguish between units or at least the general and the rest of his men...

i.e. keep the nobles, kill everyone else... ;)

Braden
02-03-2006, 17:10
Any sensible commander wouldn't pit troops who've just "defected" against their own people would they? They'd only be as loyal as Merc units, besides your own factions generals have a tendancy to be disloyal and you have to account for that don't you?

It just seems a waste to kill off 3,000 troops (i.e. a full stack) with just one click of a mouse when I could.......

.....march them to the coast, board a fleet, ship them to the otherside of Europe, capture another city then disband them into Loyal subjects - all for NO cost to my treasury apart from the upkeep of perhaps 5 turns.

Orda Khan
02-03-2006, 17:49
I have already suggested the 'pressed into service' option in the worried about POW thread. Yes, I think it would be a great idea, the offer to serve a new master or die is historically correct. Was Batu's Golden Horde an army of Mongols? No it was an army of Qipchaqs, Bulgars and the like, none of which incidentally turned on their new comrades. Only a small proportion were Mongol. A successful commander can gain loyalty, even from those who were recently defeated

.....Orda

MiniKiller
02-03-2006, 18:06
Agree with Orda, nicely said by the way.