PDA

View Full Version : Scripting & Recruitable Generals

Dol Guldur
02-07-2006, 15:12
Recruitable Generals have traits and yet they are neither family, agents or admirals.

I assume they are classed (wrongly) as family?

My question is:

Is there a way to distinguish between a family member and a recruited general in the scripting/trait coding? I was sure I saw IsFamilyMember or something like that once - maybe I am just going mad.

Indirectly, if the above distinction is not directly possible, what complete set of circumstances could attribute a hidden trait to a family member that a recruited general could never have?

Dromikaites
02-07-2006, 17:16
Recruitable Generals have traits and yet they are neither family, agents or admirals.

I assume they are classed (wrongly) as family?

My question is:

Is there a way to distinguish between a family member and a recruited general in the scripting/trait coding? I was sure I saw IsFamilyMember or something like that once - maybe I am just going mad.

Indirectly, if the above distinction is not directly possible, what complete set of circumstances could attribute a hidden trait to a family member that a recruited general could never have?
I think the recruitable generals (I assume you talk about BI) are treated like the generals we can get through spawn_army or the ones from the "paralel family trees" (typical for rebels, also seen in mods like The First Triumvirate).

There is no way to distinguish them through code from the family members (=the named_characters who show up in the family tree scroll). The systems which handle the traits and the ancillaries use "family" to distinguish named characters from diplomats/spies/assasins/admirals but that doesn't mean they actually mean only the guys who show up in the family tree scroll. "Family" means only "named_character".

Dol Guldur
02-07-2006, 18:08
As I thought, though it is badly named ;)

Malrubius
02-07-2006, 18:41
Perhaps there's an event that could be used to give a hidden trait to these spawned generals? "RecruitedGeneral" or something? Or as an alternative, all the family member generals would have gone through the CharacterComesOfAge, OfferedForMarriage, OfferedForAdoption, or LesserGeneralOfferedForAdoption events, and could be assigned a hidden trait "FamilyGeneral".

Then "Trait FamilyGeneral < 1" means he's a recruited general.

Dol Guldur
02-07-2006, 19:12
all the family member generals would have gone through the CharacterComesOfAge, OfferedForMarriage, OfferedForAdoption, or LesserGeneralOfferedForAdoption events, and could be assigned a hidden trait "FamilyGeneral".

Then "Trait FamilyGeneral < 1" means he's a recruited general.

This is what I feel. Are those all the conditions?

Malrubius
02-07-2006, 19:23
Well, you'd want to take care of the ones in descr_strat, too. Something like this:

WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart
Condition I_TurnNumber = 0
and AgentType = family

Affects FamilyGeneral 1 Chance 100

Dromikaites
02-07-2006, 22:57
I like very much Malrubius' idea: give a trait connected to those events so the other generals don't have it. For sure the generals created with spawn_army can be born completely "innocent" or "marked".

I'm not sure if the recruited generals come with no traits or have some (too late tonight to test it before going to bed :laugh4:). In case they have some traits from the very beginning it's possible a "CharacterComesOfAge" event happens. Or they might pick the trait from the city's buildings. In case CharacterComesOfAge is triggered on recruitment you may want to do away with the ability to recruit generals and script them instead.

Anyway, what do you try to achieve? There might be other ways to do it...

lt1956
02-09-2006, 06:11
Not sure about BI, but I am sure its the same. In SPQR 6.0 I have recruitable generals, and they CAN have traits and command stars upon recruitment, but most of the time have nothing and are 19 or 20 years old.

They are NOT mentioned in the family Tree and are NOT considered part of the family, so if you LOST all your family members you would lose the game, even if you have 50 generals. They are not adopted like the man of the hour, so they cannot replenish the family tree.

I hope this helps, I still dont get what you are trying or want to do?

Lt

Malrubius
02-09-2006, 09:50
Well, generally, I give different traits (like age, ethnicity, experience, etc) to generals, depending on how they show up. "Men of the Hour" have already proved themselves in battle, so should be men of action, at least moreso than a 16-year old.

Since these recruited generals aren't family members (and therefore presumably can't lead the faction), they might not be considered part of the heriditary nobility, etc. Depending on the mod's setting or factions, there might be a lot of differentiation you want to do between old-style generals and these recruited generals in trait and ancillary acquisition.

I'd like to have them start with traits, like everybody else. I guess in the worst case, they can get their traits at the end of the turn, if there's not some kind of GeneralRecruited event we can use. :inquisitive:

Dol Guldur
02-09-2006, 11:51
Just to clarify - after further testing - RGs can be adopted into the family in the same way as captains ("Man of the Hour"); and thus can be set as faction heirs. Perhaps this makes the distinction between family members and RGs less important, though one would perhaps still like to avoid certain VnVs/traits (even ancillaries) for those who are not (or not yet) family members in some mods.

lt1956
02-09-2006, 21:16
Interesting. I wonder why they did the adoption, but it makes sense, just not as good for gameplay, in that makes family worthless again. lol

I just added them to SPQR a few days ago when I found out I could add them to RTW 1.5, So I havent tested them to their full. Thanks for the info. I know one thing if you do a search at TWC or here you will probably find one of my complaints a year ago about no recruitable generals. lol

Only if their recruitable Legions was better done, does anyone know if the 1.6 patch fixed the problem with 1st cohorts?

In 1.3 a 1st cohort recruited in 10 different provinces would all be 1st legio, and if you recruited 10 in the SAME province it was 1-10 but the same title like Augusta etc.

I ask them to change it to monitor the recruitment no matter the province so the numbers are consecutive. 10 1st cohorts in 10 provinces should be 1-10 but with their different titles.

I dont have BI anymore so I cant test this and was wondering IF anyone knows if this was fixed?

Lt

Dromikaites
02-09-2006, 21:38
Yes, the recruited generals can be adopted through "Man of the Hour" event. And it seemed to me that they become family members faster than the captains.

A way to check if the recruited generals trigger a "CharactedComesOfAge" event is to have a trait always granted by it. If the recruited generals have that trait then tough luck.

Dol Guldur
02-10-2006, 01:17
Drom, Yep - that's the path to pursue. We'll check it out as soon as we get time!