PDA

View Full Version : Changing Culture assignation?

Monkwarrior
02-08-2006, 13:06
Well, I think the question is clear:
Does anybody succeded in changing the culture assignation of a faction in RTW?
I'm now in a CTD problem (no message error) and I suspect it is a problem with this change: thrace from greek to eastern in descr_sm_factions.txt. I will check deeper this night (time for modding instead of sleeping :laugh4: )

I've been looking for some tutorial about this question, but I didn't find it. There is one for creating a new culture in BI but I don't know if it's the same in RTW.

Dol Guldur
02-08-2006, 19:16
I've not tried it in R:TW but BI seems to work fine - I swapped cultures months ago and all seems to be fine. Tech trees might cause a problem (I had one with sarmatian changed to carthaginian). If there's a break in the EDB upgrades for the faction it would cause a CTD - but only after clicking on the settlement.

Monkwarrior
02-08-2006, 19:25
I've not tried it in R:TW but BI seems to work fine - I swapped cultures months ago and all seems to be fine. Tech trees might cause a problem (I had one with sarmatian changed to carthaginian). If there's a break in the EDB upgrades for the faction it would cause a CTD - but only after clicking on the settlement.
Could you briefly indicate which files need to be modify to change the culture?

Dol Guldur
02-08-2006, 23:37
It's basically the descr_sm_factions.txt file - which is self-explanatory. But changing the culture has implications of course to do with many aspects of the game; which aspects are covered in addign a new culture - see...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=945668#post945668

At what point does the CTD occur?

Monkwarrior
02-09-2006, 02:12
At what point does the CTD occur?
The game cannot be launched. The introductory video doesn't start. (It is really a fatal error).

I've done only one experiment at the moment. I've assigned macedon to barbarian, and seleucid, thrace and numidia to eastern. I will do some additional research in the coming days (only changes one by one). I will also look at your tutorial.

But first I must solve other problems.:juggle2:

Atilius
02-09-2006, 04:59
Monkwarrior,

I've turned the Brutii into Greeks. Seems to work well. I have some very poorly organized notes if you're interested.

Monkwarrior
02-17-2006, 19:02
Thanks for your tips. In fact the problem was in other part of the mod. I've successfully changed some aspects of this questions, and perhaps you find this information useful:

- I've changed thrace from greek to eastern culture only in descr_sm_factions with only some minor changes in export_buildings. It was very easy because the eastern factions and thrace shared exactly the same buildings.

- One of the factions in the mod was masking the seleucids, but I wanted this faction to be under the senate.
Using
superfaction romans_senate on seleucid hasn't any effect.
Keeping the superfaction and changing the culture of seleucid from greek to roman again has no effect.
If seleucid faction is substituted by romans_scipii (lots of changes in descr_model_battle, descr_model_strat, export_descr_buildings, export_descr_units, descr_names, descr_character, descr_banners, descr_sm_factions, descr_strat, descr_win_conditions...) then the senate acts as it should.

- The campaign doesn't accept an "external" faction as culture tag in descr_regions or as faction_creator of settlements in descr_strat. I had CTD when clicking on a rebel settlement because the creator and culture was seleucid, that it is not in campaign any more, although it is defined in descr_sm_factions.

- The senate offers as a reward to the masked scipii a unit of triarii, in spite of the fact that triarii is a unit not assigned to scipii in export_descr_units. I expected a CTD when the mission was successful, but the triarii (with card of peasant, of course) was added to the scipii capital.
Thus I tried to get a CTD fighting a battle with that unit, but surprisingly it was possible to fight the battle, and the unit had the texture assigned to julii.:inquisitive:

This is another proof of the hard-coding of some roman units that I described in other thread. https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1065791#post1065791

In this regard, could anybody give me a full list of units offered by the senate as reward for successful missions?
Does anybody know if it is possible to change those units?