PDA

View Full Version : American War of Indepence novels.

The_Doctor
02-11-2006, 20:57
I mean Sharpe-type books. Are there any? Wait, that is stupid question. What are the good ones?

Don Corleone
02-12-2006, 00:19
Without a doubt, John Jakes wrote the most famous series of historical fiction around the American War for Independence. I think the first title in the series is The Bastard, but you'd probably check.

Howard Fast wrote a couple of great novels too, such as 'April Morning', which deals with the Lexington & Concord engagements.

King Henry V
02-12-2006, 01:37
A good book is Jack Absolute by C.C Humphreys about a British officer during the War who has gone native for some of the time (he was adopted by the Iroquois when he was younger) and it deals with Burgoyne's campaign and the Battle of Saratoga. The prequel is about young Jack's first adventures in North America, where he fights with Wolfe at Quebec in 1759 but is later captured by Indians (Hurons, allies of the French) and later escapes with a young Iroquois.

Philippus Flavius Homovallumus
02-12-2006, 15:17
Bernard Cornwall actually wrote some books on the revolution, some of his first. I can't remember if it was one or a trilogy.

Grey_Fox
02-12-2006, 15:32
Bernard Cornwell did a once-off book on the Revolution called 'Redcoat'.

The_Doctor
02-12-2006, 19:08
Bernard Cornwall actually wrote some books on the revolution, some of his first. I can't remember if it was one or a trilogy.

I think they where about the US civil war.

Incongruous
02-13-2006, 06:05
The Starbuck Chrinicles, worst Cornwell books ever IMHO.

Grey_Fox
02-13-2006, 12:17
Nah, that honour would have to go to the Grail Quest trilogy.

King Henry V
02-13-2006, 18:34
No, I actually quite liked the Grail Quest.
Worst book of his that I read so far was Excalibur.

Incongruous
02-13-2006, 23:31
Gah! Graile Quest was an awsome medieval romp and pomp.
Excalibur, thats the Warlord series right? I never got past halfway through book two it was so crap.
The Last Kingdom and The Pale Horseman however are awsome I bow to you Mister Cornwell:shame: