PDA

View Full Version : Battle strategy for non-phalanx troops

SpawnOfEbil
02-12-2006, 18:24
Being used to playing as phalanx armies, with nice straight lines, it came as a bit of a shck when I started playing as the Casse. How on earth do you manage these people in battle? Just send them all in after a warcry and mob the opponent?

Keba
02-12-2006, 19:41
The Casse are a bit more difficult of the non-phalanx factions, as they lack cavalry ... but, in essence ... yeah, you just try to mob them.

First you deploy skirmishers and weaken the enemy line, then you send in your shock troops to loosen the enemy battle-line. Keep the rest of your units back, and send them in one at a time, until the enemy line begins to collapse ... then you rush in as much as you can into the hole to make it bigger. After that, you should be able to mop up what's left. Of course, flanking is always useful, but I rarely perform that, at least, not until the enemy battle-line is broken and in pieces.

The lack of cavalry is a major problem ... chariots are useful and effective against cavalry, but that's it, they are easily wiped out in melee, and on top of that, they keep killing each other.

QwertyMIDX
02-12-2006, 20:13
Chariots are fine, just smash them THROUGH the enemy line and follow that up with your shock infantry.

jerby
02-13-2006, 19:51
infantry-based non-phalanx armies aren't just "mob them" they are a lot more mobile/flexible and should be used as such, also remember that in 70% of your battles it helps if you carry more javelins than your opponent...

LordElrond
02-13-2006, 20:17
What happens the other 30% of the time? :gah:
I really enjoy non-phalanx battles. I enjoy sending wave after wave of barbarians into the enemy until they crumble.

Edit: Nah, you weren't overstating. I love their effectiveness in this game.

jerby
02-13-2006, 22:27
70% of your battles are decided by javelin-advantage. but i was overstating i guess....
In most of my arveni campaigns i kill of about 15% of teh enemy before h2h begins. Mala Gaeros Rule! ~;)

Moros
02-14-2006, 15:29
70% of your battles are decided by javelin-advantage. but i was overstating i guess....
In most of my arveni campaigns i kill of about 15% of teh enemy before h2h begins. Mala Gaeros Rule! ~;)
I tougth you were dead...

Anyway playing as the Arverni or Aedui just use one unit of gaesatae and a few infantry units to hold the line then encircle them with javelin infantry and they're as dead as can be.

jebes
02-15-2006, 18:33
Because Chariots are so scary for foot soldiers, I usually let battle join in as much of a line as I can make. Then, I run the chariots around behind the troops and drive them just behind the enemy once. This seems to lower their morale enough that I can wheel about and smash the weak section of the line to cause a rout.

jerby
02-15-2006, 21:11
I tougth you were dead...

Anyway playing as the Arverni or Aedui just use one unit of gaesatae and a few infantry units to hold the line then encircle them with javelin infantry and they're as dead as can be.
whatever the problem, gaesatae are teh answer!
have obtained mediovalum (sp...) and can nwo recruit them, bloody expensive..