PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to buy the new RTW expansion (Alexander)?

econ21
02-13-2006, 16:06
In the fairly long run up to M2TW, it was a pleasant surprise to me to read about the imminent release of a RTW expansion to cover the campaigns of Alexander the Great. It's hard to imagine a more epic setting for a campaign. Plus it's got Brian Blessed doing some voice work. :2thumbsup: Who else is definitely going to buy it?

Ultras DVSC
02-13-2006, 16:16
Well, depends on its prize. Such a minigame can't cost a lot, I hope. :)

Zatoichi
02-13-2006, 16:56
Yep - I'm a sucker for this! I'm hoping it won't take too long to download on my 512kb broadband though...

Seasoned Alcoholic
02-13-2006, 18:17
I'd like to either download / buy it, but the mod is tying my hands together ~D

I've also got MTW & VI still sitting brand new on the shelf, hasn't been opened since Xmas...

...well tbh, I've had a quick read of parts of the MTW manual ~D

So maybe seems the best option for the poll.

Craterus
02-13-2006, 19:11
Yep, should be buying it. ~D

Viking
02-13-2006, 19:36
If I`ll have to pay, I`ll pay; if I have to download... then I have a problem, but no doubt I`ll try DL'ing it at school.

Antagonist
02-13-2006, 19:41
Possibly. I'm intrigued, but I'm not sold yet. I think it will depend a lot on the price they're asking.

Antagonist

BelgradeWar
02-13-2006, 20:24
I'll wait for the reviews first...RTR is quite enough for me now, but if Alexander proves to be above average then why not...I'm getting plenty of experience with phalanxes already, so it won't be a problem adjusting...

The Spartan (Returns)
02-13-2006, 20:40
i'd like to get it. but defenitely not download it if it takes too long. (i have dial-up)

Oaty
02-13-2006, 20:47
Did I misread someone elses quote that was directly from a magazine.

From my understanding Alexander is a mini-expansion pack and will be downloadable for free. CA/Sega would not be the first company to release a free expansion pack.

Random Dude
02-14-2006, 00:30
I've never heard of that. But, if it's for free, then I most likely will be buying it. But for now, it's a maybe.

BHCWarman88
02-14-2006, 00:35
I won't download it.. I'm not wasting my time downloading a little Expasion. it useless, just make MTW 2, and stick to making one Main game and a Expasion, then make antoher Main and a Expasion,so on,so forth..

Lord Armbandit
02-14-2006, 01:13
Surely the freebie option is a bit optimistic?

I reckon you've got to be looking at a few quid (maybe a tenner, hopefully less given its got no box/paper manual!)- these people have to be paid you know!

To be honest, I earn enough that it doesn't really matter anyway! Now if only I had a job that came with enough spare time to play it..........

BHCWarman88
02-14-2006, 03:47
why can't Modders just make a Mod like that then, or mabye CA doesn't like Modders taking away their ideas (NTW,for example)

Papewaio
02-14-2006, 05:00
I got RTW as a Valentine present last year...

Martok
02-14-2006, 08:04
I got RTW as a Valentine present last year...

Not from your significant other, surely? I can't imagine she'd voluntarily get you a gift that would distract you from her even more.... ~D

professorspatula
02-14-2006, 16:47
As long as it isn't very costly, I'll buy it. Over £12 and I'll probably think long and hard before parting with my readies.

I wonder if this is testing the water for future expansion releases over the internet. Could it be for MTW2 and the next few games, they'll even go as far as sourcing out expansions to modders....

orangat
02-14-2006, 17:06
I voted no but if its available for free, I'll download it.

The phalanx units have weird properties and quirks which is probably why phalanx units were mostly absent in BI. I can't justify paying for a buggy phalanx adventure.

Paul Peru
02-14-2006, 18:40
:inquisitive: I'll buy it if Red Harvest says it's as good as flawless.:laugh4:

=E.T=
02-14-2006, 19:09
not free, no way!

:<

gardibolt
02-14-2006, 19:30
:inquisitive: I'll buy it if Red Harvest says it's as good as flawless.:laugh4:

I'll take that as a "no." :laugh4:

Paul Peru
02-18-2006, 16:24
I'll take that as a "no." :laugh4:
Well, I've covered my tracks:
If "RH loves it" then "I'll buy it"
If P then Q,
P is very unlikely, but that does not logically preclude Q.:balloon2:

General4Hire
02-18-2006, 21:54
I will definitely buy it...I pretty much will buy every single TW game that comes out from now until death heh. As I've stated before, I was shaky about things during the summer when the sega/ca/activision mish mosh all happened but once I saw that this franchise truly was going to be supported long term (supported in the way that WE wanted it to be) I just signed on for life.

So yes...I have RTW, BI, and I will buy Alexander's Conquest...and I will not only buy mtw2, but a new gaming pc for it.

spanakoryzo
02-19-2006, 14:09
I'm definately going to buy it! I believe that the campaign map of all the Middle East up to India alone will be worth it. Not to mention the chance to see if you can actually do it - the conquest - better than Alexander himself! Or the possible override of history with a Persian victory? Do we perhaps have an exact date of release?

Alexanderofmacedon
02-19-2006, 18:51
Can I have a link to the expansion?

cannon_fodder
02-19-2006, 20:23
If it's around a tenner, I'll buy it. The inevitable new factions and eastward expansion\recreation of the campaign map are intruiging. And I really like phalanx vs. phalanx battles, for whatever reason.

Samurai Waki
02-19-2006, 21:13
if CA releases it for Free it would do a wonder of good for their Public Relations, and would undoubtedly boost sales of MTW2 it gives the consumer the attitude like "Hey CA are good guys, so I'll buy their next game", it would give the consumer confidence in their product. On the other hand, if CA puts a fee on it, it will give the company a short boost of funding, and their PR is likely to be unchanged, whether they can ride their credibility, if say M2TW is a flop, has yet to be seen. If they charge me for it, I'll wait and see what other people have to say about it before I decide to get it, at this point I'll let the hardcore gamers be the judge of that (I just don't trust reviewers or the average TW fan).

Proletariat
02-19-2006, 21:16
I'll probably go ahead get it. I highly doubt it's going to be for free, if they went to the trouble to hire Brian Blessed (whoever that is).

econ21
02-19-2006, 21:33
...Brian Blessed (whoever that is).

Brian Blessed is a veteran British character actor with a booming voice and a large personality to go with his stature. He was the King in the first season of Black Adder, Augustus in "I, Claudius", the portly rebel king in Flash Gordon and the voice of Boss Noss (or whatever Jar-Jar's leader was called) in Star Wars Episode I. He's a little hammy but great fun, IMO.

Proletariat
02-19-2006, 21:50
Ah, now I understand. Neat idea.

Martok
02-20-2006, 09:17
Brian Blessed is a veteran British character actor with a booming voice and a large personality to go with his stature. He was the King in the first season of Black Adder, Augustus in "I, Claudius", the portly rebel king in Flash Gordon and the voice of Boss Noss (or whatever Jar-Jar's leader was called) in Star Wars Episode I. He's a little hammy but great fun, IMO.

Brian Blessed rules. I really liked him in Kenneth Brannaugh's film adaptations of Hamlet and Much Ado About Nothing. There are numerous others as well, but those two always stick out in my mind. That, and the first episode of Black Adder. ~:)

Kaiser of Arabia
02-20-2006, 17:26
I didn't even get barbarian lol, wait for the grand pack of all 3 to come out!

Mount Suribachi
02-20-2006, 22:09
Is it even announced on their website yet? I can't find any official mention of it.

Will I buy it? Maybe. If its a tenner or under, and if it adds new gameplay features (maybe even another patch) then definately.

King Ragnar
02-20-2006, 22:30
Can someone post a link, i aint heard anything of this yet.

william the bastard
02-22-2006, 11:18
Maybe a bonus on MTW2 ?? Just merchandising.

Divine Wind
02-24-2006, 01:19
Can someone post a link, i aint heard anything of this yet.

Its only been announced in a few PC magazines so far. I guess we'll just have to wait.... :book:

Petsman
02-24-2006, 10:51
I dont really like expansions. I only like the new things and improvements in the main campaign.

King Ragnar
02-24-2006, 12:22
Its only been announced in a few PC magazines so far. I guess we'll just have to wait.... :book:

Yeh i just got PC gamer read about in there.

Ultras DVSC
02-25-2006, 11:29
It's gonna be published in march and ca hasn't announced it yet? It's a bit strange, isn't it?

The_Doctor
02-25-2006, 12:35
It's gonna be published in march and ca hasn't announced it yet? It's a bit strange, isn't it?

Indeed.

In the newsletter I got on the 13th of February it said:

We'll be following this up with more Medieval 2 screens and information in the weeks ahead. However, later this week we have something rather special to announce. We can't give you the full details as yet but we can tell you to keep your eyes on totalwar.com this week for news of a unique new Total War release from The Creative Assembly. You heard it here first.

That was nearly 2 weeks ago.

Xenophon the youngest
02-25-2006, 18:54
I would probably buy it if it was pretty cheap. But they should definatly make RTW have a mode where you can play in campaign mode, on one of Alexander's campaigns. In other words you control what battles you fight just like on the Imperial Campaign mode. But you also have missions, like "Attack the persian army under Darius in the GUAGAMELA region" Something like that. They should call it like, "Historical Campaign mode, or something.

I belive that everyone would probably buy it or download it or whatever, if there were different campaigns, like Hannibal's Alpine expedition, or the First Punic War, or Julius Caesar's, Gaulic Campaign. Trojan War? You get the picture.

What other famous wars or campaigns would people be interested in playing like this?

Xenophon

Avicenna
02-26-2006, 15:39
Surely Alexander's time would be boring? Just 3 main factions: Macedon, Persia and India. India and Macedon crush Persia, which has bad units and relies on cheap infantry and mercs. India owns all with elephants and Macedon is a bad attacker with phalanx mainly plus a bit of cavalry.

Black Prince
02-26-2006, 16:42
Very strange that no real info on this - perhaps they'll release it if enough people seem to want it? Any links or screenshots anywhere?

Kalray
02-27-2006, 17:02
Total war is the most fantastic war game ive ever played(in twenty four years of gaming--oh god Im middle aged :help: --). im only 1/3 of the way thru my first campaign ive already has my monies worth out of it. Ive never tried but I imagine making a mod for it is bl**dy hard work. Its nice to get things free but you have to reward the people who put the effort in or they will stop bothering. Right now I hope to see this product supported for years to come. if you dont want to pay for expansions why not make some yourself(you can send me free copies when your done :2thumbsup: ). Take a look at the credits for the game in the options and see how many mouths there are to feed. These guys have proper quality control (which is Very Rare these days)
i've lost count of the number of games I've played that were obviously rushed out to meet deadlines and were untested, unfinished and even, in some cases, unplayable.
Rome Total War is an absolute Classic. The only way it could give you a more realistic feeling of being a great general cutting a swathe thru history is if they invented smellovision and you could smell the blood,sweat and horse poo(well they could really send me the keys to the vestial virgins too)...
Long may it reign!

Aulus Paulinus
02-27-2006, 22:33
I'm definitely getting it. I really enjoyed playing the BI, the Western Empire was probably my favourite campaign of all so I'm looking forward to another expansion. They are like a good cover song, they get something new out of a thing that already exists. Plus I've just started reading a book on Alexander so it should get me into the right mood for it.

All the info on it seems to be quite general. Anyone knows anything more precise?