PDA

View Full Version : Making battle maps

Yggdrasill
02-13-2006, 19:31
How can I activate the battle map editor? I know that I have to enter a line -enable editor or something similar but where? Bear in mind that I am not especially computer savy so you have to explain it to me like I'm a two year old.

Thanks

Epistolary Richard
02-14-2006, 09:14
Moved from the Scriptorium. Questions about modding live in the Modding Questions forum.

You need to add -enable_editor to your command line, in the same way as you would add -show_err (see sig for details). Then it's under the options menu.

Yggdrasill
02-14-2006, 12:33
OK thanks got it working. A dumb question perhaps but here goes - does the same thing apply to BI - just add -enable_editor line to BI shortcut or do I need a different command?

Also, is there a guide somwhere on the forums with all the 'how to' questions answered? I tried teh official guide but it only displays page 1, after I hit advance I get the 'page cannot be found message'.

Sorry for posting in a wrong thread.

kburkert
02-14-2006, 12:41
Yes it is the same for RTW BI

Epistolary Richard
02-14-2006, 17:09
Also, is there a guide somwhere on the forums with all the 'how to' questions answered? I tried teh official guide but it only displays page 1, after I hit advance I get the 'page cannot be found message'.

'How to's regarding the Battle Editor or in general? In general our Scriptorium is the Org's resource for modding guides, tutorials and tools - and other sites have similar forums. If you've answered a question and it wasn't in the Scriptorium then you're encouraged to write a quick 'How to' yourself there. In that way it becomes a more valuable resource for all.

Yggdrasill
02-14-2006, 20:19
How to regarding the editor, but not just making custom maps but also historical battles (complete with those nice little intro movies) and also a guide how to modify settlement plans and forts. Most of the map editing stuff is pretty easy but a few things are bugging me, like how to enlarge the boundaries of the actual battlefield etc.

Perhaps if there are scripters out there who know how to do these things they can join the Citadel Total War team in making some custom maps and historical battles.

Epistolary Richard
02-14-2006, 20:32
There was some release documentation with the battle editor that should be available somewhere on the official site.

The special stuff about historical battles (including boundaries 'playable_area_dimensions') are controlled out of the descr_battle file in each folder - have a look at the existing ones for examples. The intro movies are done using scripted unit and camera moves in the script referenced at the bottom of the descr_battle file. It's not something I've ever actually tried out in practice.