PDA

View Full Version : MTW2 Cultures

PROMETHEUS
02-16-2006, 18:37
How many there will be?

I really hope to see the following ones....

1 Mediterranean Medieval

2 Northern European Medieval

3 Eastern European Medieval

4 Steppe and Nomadic

5 Arab style

6 Berber Desert Style

7 Persian Style

I am not counting the Aztecs becouse I am sure they will get their own as a whole instead of making distinctions of the severall styles....

Gurkhal
02-16-2006, 19:16
I wouldn't think that both Arabian and Berber will be in. were they very similer at the time of the game?

I also doubt that a Persian culture will be included as I don't think the map goes as far east.

Except that most things looks fairly resonible.

Dead Moroz
02-16-2006, 23:14
I'd like to see separate culture types for Russians and Byzantines. Byzantines (and other southern Orthodoxes: such as Serbia, Bulgaria, Georgia) had stone architecture of their own. But medieval Russians had only wooden buildings, except for rare stone city walls, churches and palaces. If Russian cities will be full of stone buildings, like cities of Byzantine - it will be understandable because of engine limitation... but it will look very, very weird... like kangaroo in tundra.

Russians also shoudn't have stone castles - only wooden ones.

TB666
02-16-2006, 23:54
I think 3.
European
Arabic
Aztec

Somehow I doubt there will be others.

Cowhead418
02-17-2006, 00:06
I think 3.
European
Arabic
Aztec

Somehow I doubt there will be others.
Well, considering you are missing one of the three cultures from the original MTW, your doubts are not very well placed. In the original there was Russian, European, and Arabic. The Byzantines were placed in the Russian culture so it sounded weird. The cultures could also be called Orthodox Christian, Catholic, and Islamic. I hope they at least make the Byzantines and Russians separate cultures this time.

TB666
02-17-2006, 00:14
Oh yeah forgot about that.
Well 4 then.

King Yngvar
02-17-2006, 02:16
Why not:

Northern European (germany, scandinavia, britain)
Southern European (france, italy, iberia, etc)
Eastern European
Islamic
Aztec

Since I'm guessing that culture would affect how characters look I really think there should be difference between northern and southern European.

PROMETHEUS
02-17-2006, 15:56
Well I can assure you that Arab , berber and Persian for the ones who know them are quite different .... altough Persian style influenced a lot the Arab , this one was also a mic of mediterranean classical and autoctone culture , while Berber culture is very different from the above two , mud castles and dry walls made of plaster intonach is what makes them very unique ....and very well integrated in the desertical landscape...

Gurkhal
02-17-2006, 21:35
Well I can assure you that Arab , berber and Persian for the ones who know them are quite different .... altough Persian style influenced a lot the Arab , this one was also a mic of mediterranean classical and autoctone culture , while Berber culture is very different from the above two , mud castles and dry walls made of plaster intonach is what makes them very unique ....and very well integrated in the desertical landscape...

Although I do not belive you're wrong, but would Arabic, Berber and Persian culture be different enough to make for several cultures?

In Rome CA made Celts, Iberians, Germans and Schytians the same: Barbarians. Despite the enormour differences between those peoples in reality.

Sarmatian
02-18-2006, 03:32
Why not:

Northern European (germany, scandinavia, britain)
Southern European (france, italy, iberia, etc)
Eastern European
Islamic
Aztec

Since I'm guessing that culture would affect how characters look I really think there should be difference between northern and southern European.

Since when is france in southern europe?

Trithemius
02-20-2006, 13:08
Since when is france in southern europe?

Depends which part of "France" I suppose...

the_handsome_viking
02-20-2006, 15:38
Mongolian culture too, don't forget that.

PROMETHEUS
02-20-2006, 18:51
Should be included in the noimadic one ....

Ibn Munqidh
02-20-2006, 18:56

Well in reality, the Persians took alot from the arabs, and the arabs took alot from the Persians (although much less than what the persians took), but anyway, the cultures at the time of the game have more or less overlapped, and became almost the same.

The Berber culture is quite different though.

PROMETHEUS
02-20-2006, 23:11
they didn't become the same , just look to the Isfahan architecture and the Alahambra and you can see the differences for example ....

Ibn Munqidh
02-21-2006, 13:24
they didn't become the same , just look to the Isfahan architecture and the Alahambra and you can see the differences for example ....

Well if you are referring to Andalusian arab/berber culture, yes thats different from eastern culture. That culture is a development of early Ummayad architecture in Greater Syria, after Al-Andalus became ruled by the young Al-Dakhil, the last of the surviving ummayads, who was obsessed with his lust for his home in Damascus, and the culture there. He even brought a specimen of every plant in the levant to be planted in Iberia, and started to construct buildings exactly like those he used to see in Damascus, and so, that developed with time to building like Al-Hamra, Al-Zahra and Al-Zahira in Cordoba.

The buildings and cultural lifestyle of the people in the east changed in an other direction, they started mixing Persian and Arab culture until they became almost the same, and that is evident in Iraq and Persia, the castles, mosques, and palaces.

I would suggest two kinds of non-european cultures. One, North African/ Iberian. The other, middle eastern.

Orda Khan
02-21-2006, 17:31
Mongolian culture too, don't forget that.

Should be included in the noimadic one .
This will depend on how the Mongols are included in the campaign and whether or not there are different eras. Though the Mongols were mainly Shamanistic, there were large contingents of Nestorian Christians among them and Buddhists too. After they invaded Russia and eastern Europe, the Qipchaq Khanate (commonly called Golden Horde) were mainly Islamic. It could therefore be argued that the Mongols should fall into the Islamic culture. Personally I would like to see them portrayed as Pagans with the opportunity to adopt the faith of the region, which is what they eventually did

..........Orda