PDA

View Full Version : Quotes

caius britannicus
02-18-2006, 22:02
I'm looking to compile a list of quotes for the loading screens. So heres everyones chance to make submissions. Now I can't promise that all quites suggested here will make it into the game. Also please make sure your quote is relevant to the period. :knight: (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showpost.php?p=985085&postcount=661)

Herkus
02-19-2006, 10:30
Well I could provide you with some quotes from chronicles (Cronica terre Prussie, Heinrici Cronicon Lyvoniae, Livländische Reimchronik) dedicated to Baltic Crusade:book: . Though I don't know if that is what you are looking for ->quotes for other crusade not for the one you are making this great mod.

Afsin
02-19-2006, 14:33
[removed]

caius britannicus
02-19-2006, 16:35
I'm excepting any quotes from the period. So Turkish, Baltic crusades, Byzantine, euros anything. Keep 'em coming.

Herkus
02-19-2006, 17:39
The nobles of Samogithia prepared a carouse, and many were happy to attend. They drank and were merry. Their leader spoke thus: "I am pleased to see so many heroes, and I will rejoice in you so long as I live. You Samogithians should strive for glory and attack the Christians night and day. You've been quiet long enough. You should renew the raids and with manly hand ravage the lands of the Christians." This speech pleased the nobles and their pledged to their gods there at the party to renew the war.

Province Samogithia is located in western Lithuania and showed the most fiercest resistance to Teutonic Order during Baltic Crusade. They were the last true pagans of Europe, because they were christianized only in 1415.
Quote is long but you should cut it to appropriate lenght.

Martimus
02-21-2006, 07:09
"Quar nous navons volu ne volons le Temple mettre en aucune servitute se non tant come il hy affiert." ("For we did not and do not wish the Temple to be placed in any servitude except that which is fitting.") - Jacques de Molay, Grandmaster of the Knights Templar

NSG
02-21-2006, 21:08
"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monthy Python

Martimus
02-22-2006, 03:53
hehe. Here's a collection of quotes relating to the Knights Templar, I haven't seen any for the Hospitallers or the Teutons.

http://www.ordotempli.org/ancient_templar_quotes.htm

Alcibiades_Myrm
03-31-2006, 11:47
Greetings, I am new to this forum but I have been following the development of this mod since its inception.

I am able to offer you a fabulous quotation.

This is attributed to Bernard of Clairvaux.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo, da gloriam" - Not unto us Lord, not unto us, but to thy name give glory.

This is the templar motto, my source is - page 47 - Dungeon, Fire And Sword - The Knights Templar in the Crusades - by John J. Robinson.

Al

Keep up the good work.

beauchamp
04-04-2006, 22:23
Hey, that songs in Henry V!
I was thinking "the Wood of the cross" which was an old crusader song during the thrid crusade.

Refnulf von Holland
05-23-2006, 02:40
Ok Caius here goes it!

The spiritual warrior is he who has no enemy. — Abu Bakr al-Warraq

Spiritual chivalry means that native and foreigner are the same to you. — Muhammad ibn Ali al-Tirmidihi

A Sufi was asked, "What is spiritual chivalry?" He said, "That it makes not difference whether a saint or an unbeliever is eating with you." — Sufi Tradition

The essence of futuwwa — noble, generous, and honorable conduct — is that the servant should always be working for the sake of something other than himself. — Abu 'l-Qasim al-Qushayri

Spiritual chivalry means to restrain yourself from causing trouble while giving freely. — Junyad

Reiks

Myrddraal
05-27-2006, 20:30
Godfrey of Bouillon on being king of Jerusalem:

“I will not wear a crown of gold where my Savior wore one of thorns”

Or:

"I will accept the office, but no crown must be put on my head and I must never be called king. I cannot wear a crown of gold where Christ wore one of thorns nor will I be called king in the land where once lived the King of Kings."

Kralizec
06-02-2006, 11:47
Didn't he actually refuse the title of king because of just that, and instead became "defender of Jerusalem"?

Myrddraal
06-03-2006, 02:21
Ummm, yes?

Thats exactly what my quote would imply :smile:

Horatius
06-18-2006, 00:20
I have a list of quotes from the leaders of the time you would like

"My death is a great loss for Islam-Nur ed Din or Zengi I forget which one said that

"My Lords I can do no more for I am dead"-Grand Master of the Templar during the last fall of Acre when he died defending a breach in the walls.

"It is the custom of kings that one may do as one wishes in their own lands, you do as you will in your lands I will do as I will in mine"-Reynald de Chatallion

"First into battle and last out" War cry of the Templars

If a king were to be captured and his knights did nothing to help him be released, or merely sent money without fighting for it themselves then that king would deem them traitors, it is the same with God"-Pope Innocent III

"Is there nobody here who will rid me of this turbelent, malicious priest of curruption and evil (meaning Thomas Becket)"-Henry II

"Kill them all God will know his own"-Archbishop outside the walls of Beziers responding to complaints to his men that they may not be able to tell Catholic and Heretic apart.

"No mercy for you, I shall take the city with all brutality known to your people and it shall run red in your blood untill there is no blood left to run"-Saladin responding to a plea from Balien of Ibelin for mercy to the city of Jerusalem (Yes thats correct Saladin worshippers his intention was to kill everyone, the next quote will be what changed Saladin's mind)

"Fine have it your way, you shall profit nothing. We shall burn down all in the city, we will burn our holy places and our treasure, we shall kill our women and then we shall advance on you, and either it will be a great Frankish victory or we shall die honorably and leave you nothing but rubble"-Balien of Ibelin to Saladin during the Siege of Jerusalem

"Let us advance, and save the country and rescue the bold damsel in the tower"-A common knight to Guy de Lusignan urging him to go to battle with Saladin (That is what got him to go with Ridefort and Reynald instead of Raymond's advice)

"You have grown so attached to that blonde head of yours you have become far to afraid to lose it"-Gerard de Rideford

"as for the size of Saladins army which would render you a coward that is just more fuel for Satan's eternal fire"-Reynald de Chattalion

Dennus
06-26-2006, 15:37
I found a few on pages 34-35 in H.E. Mayer's The Crusades.

French Crusading Song (in English):

I have heard it said by way of advice
That it costs gold to clinch a good deal.
The man is thoughtless
Who sees the good and takes the bad.
Do you know what God has promised them
Who will take the cross?
By God! He has promised to reward them well
Paradise for evermore.
He who knows to make a profit
Is a fool if he waits till tomorrow.

Aimeric de Beloni (Provencal poet):

For the march means hope
For posessions and joy and thanks
And for diligence and honour
And for deliverance from sin.

From our friend St. Bernard of Clairvaux:

O mighty soldier, O man of war, you now have a cause for which you can fight without endangering your soul; a cause in which to win is glorious and for which to die is but gain. Or are you a shrewed businessman, a man quick to see the profits of this world? If you are, I can offer you a splendid bargain. Do not miss this oppertunity. Take the sign of the cross. At once you will have indulgence for all the sins which you confess with a contrite heart. It does not cost you much to buy and if you wear it with humility you will find that it is worth the kingdom of heaven.

Heinrich von Rugge:

All my thoughts are fixed on a better reward

VandalCarthage
07-06-2006, 16:44
A few of these might work:

"They assembled from all sides, one after another, with arms and horses and all the panoply of war... Like tributaries joining a river, they streamed from all directions towards us."
-Anna Comnenus, The Alexiad - on the arrival of the First Crusaders

"We are all aware, as we have learnt from our elders before us, that Antioch was part of the Empire of Constantinople... Should we then deny the truth and oppose what we know to be right?"
-Fulk of Anjou, King of Jerusalem - on the surrender of Antioch to the Emperor John Comnenus

"Seven women together may scarcely find one man to lay hold on, so many widows are there whose husbands are still living."
-St. Bernard of Clairvaux - on the Crusade's depopulation of Europe

"The People of Antioch were by no means pleased by the arrival of the Emperor. But when they saw it was not in their power to prevent him they came before him like slaves..."
-Nicetas Choniates - on the Emperor Manuel Comnenus' reception at Antioch

"You took the Cross upon your shoulders; and on that Cross and on the Holy Gospels you swore that you would pass over Christian lands without violence... Far from carrying the Cross, you profane it and trample it underfoot."
-Nicetas Choniates - on the Crusader passage through Byzantium

"For when they saw those high ramparts and the strong towers... and the splendid palaces and soaring churches... they never thought there could be so rich and powerful a place on Earth."
-Geoffrey of Villehardouin - on the Latin's first sighting of Constantinople

"It is not so much a difference of dogma that turns the hearts of the Greeks against you as the hatred of the Latins which has entered into their spirits..."
-Barlaam of Calabria - letter to Pope Benedict XII on Greek attitudes towards the Papacy

"We have mingled blood with flowing tears, and there is no room left in us for pity."
-Abu l-Muzaffar al-Abiwardi - on the Frankish conquests in Syria

"While the Franks - God damn them! - were conquering... the rulers and armies of Islam were fighting among themselves..."
-Ibn Al-Athir - on the discord among the Muslim states

"I have offered myself for sale, and He has bought me. By God, I neither agreed nor asked that the contract should be annulled!"
-Hujjat ad-Din Yusuf ibn Dibas al-Findalawi - an elderly lawyer of Damascus, marching in his cities defence

"Thus the day came for the Franks when the same of capture, defeat and disaster engulfed them."
-Unknown author - poem in praise of Nur ad-Din's campaigns against the Franks

Crusader Invasion
08-09-2006, 19:08
Well, scince the Crusades were about religion, you could use the bible for quotes.

"How have the Mighty fallen in the midst of the battle"
- II Samuel 1,25

MOD EDIT: Next time just use the EDIT button :)

Manslaughter the Great I
08-10-2006, 23:28
"Where you not near enough to a great king to learn of his example?"

And no this is not just from the movie the real Saladin said the same. :book:

Crusader Invasion
08-10-2006, 23:49
MOD EDIT: Next time just use the EDIT button :)Where is the edit button? I can't find it on this forum.

Herkus
08-11-2006, 08:32
Where is the edit button? I can't find it on this forum.
Post in other forums, so the moderators will notice and promote your rank from "junior member" to "member" and than you'll be able to edit your posts. I guess it works like that :book: .

Subedei
08-11-2006, 10:53
Somebody in the community has this quote in his/her signature (it`s by some pope & i think it is great):

"It served us well, that myst of christ!"

Maybe somebody else knows from whom this comes from.

Manslaughter the Great I
08-12-2006, 19:21
Some pope said that.

The complete quote is:

Served us well, this myth of Christ has.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
08-13-2006, 23:46
Yoda? :2thumbsup:

Manslaughter the Great I
08-16-2006, 02:39
Quite possibly....:balloon2:

VandalCarthage
08-16-2006, 20:59
It was Pope Leo X.

iwantmyaccountdeleted
08-28-2006, 13:37
I apoplogize if this has been written already,b ut what the hell,t is is a classic

"In hoc signo vinces" (In this sign you will conquer)

a cybercookie will not be given to whoever CAN'T guess where that came from...

Shishan
09-24-2006, 14:45
How about this, dont know if its accepted "Im not those men..I am Salahuddin..Salahuddin!!" -Saladin- from KOH during the surrender of jerussalem.

King Baldwin IV
09-24-2006, 16:12
here're some but they are quite longish

"All who die by the way, whether by land or by sea, or in battle against the pagans, shall have immediate remission of sins."
-Urban II: Speech at Clermont

"It is the will of God! It is the will of God!"
-Urban II: Speech at Clermont

"Allahu akbar! Allahu akbar! . . ." [God is Great]

"It is not the custom of kings to kill kings."
-Saladin

"Alas, Lord God, the battle is over! We have been betrayed unto death. The Kingdom is finished!"
-Raymond III of Tripoli

"I have seen a time when King Baldwin of Jerusalem, the one who was a leper, beat Saladin although he only had 300 armed men against Saladin's 3000. But now your sins have brought you to such a pass that we round you up in the fields like cattle." ~D
-an armourer, Damascus 1252

"If I could be cured of the disease of Naaman, I would wash seven times in Jorda, but I have found in the present age no Elisha who can heal me."
-Baldwin IV

Shishan
09-28-2006, 15:02
another one :

"Saladin sends me presents of fruit and snow when I am sick and now his brother decorates you with his jewels. Yet with our armies do we both lock in deadly combat, watering the land with a rain of blood, and the noise of thunder is drowned in the shouts of dying men." King Richard

Myrddraal
09-29-2006, 12:55
It was Pope Leo X.

The quote actually comes from The Pageant of the Popes, a protestant play of the period written by John Bale.

It has since been falsely attributed to the real Pope Leo X. It's easy to believe when you read about the guy, but it isn't true.

Shishan
10-03-2006, 14:42
another one :

"I have become so great as I am because I have won men's hearts by gentleness and kindliness."

—Saladin to his son, Zahir; quoted in Saladin.

Balin son of Fundin
10-07-2006, 04:41
“They became so terrible to the enemies of Christ’s faith that one of them sued to chase a thousand and two of them ten thousand; when they were called to arms, they did not ask how many enemy there were, but where they were”. - Jaques de Vitry (Cardinal Bishop of Acre during the period of the crusades) - said in relation to the Knights Templar (& Hospitaller)

monkian
10-10-2006, 13:04
Lawks O'Lordy my bottoms on fire

Joan of Arc